Wembley - why film 2nd night?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Wembley - why film 2nd night?

Postby Snackpot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:00 pm

For most concerts a 'one time' shooting isn't unusual. In fact you'd think it's what happens 99% of the time. One venue, one performance, one night - one vision..sorry, one concert captured on film/DVD etc.

Why at Wembley did they attribute the second night to be filmed, especially given the very strong possibility that with a concert just the day before, Freddie's voice would be far inferior on Wembley II than it was Wembley I? Also wouldn't the excitement and energy of it being the 'first night' have been captured, as opposed to, as we did, watch a band play essentially the same show in the same stadium (albeit with a different audience) for a second time?

NB I know BOTH nights were filmed, but the first night only filmed as a 'dry-run' for the second. Why not go for broke right away, film the first night and tidy up any shots or cut-aways needed on the second night. That way the band sounds more fresher, Freddie sounds better and you don't have to overdub half the bloody thing in the studio afterwards.

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Re: Wembley - why film 2nd night?

Postby WeeMann » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 pm

15 gigs into a 33 gig tour - I would hope they wouldn't expect his voice to be far inferior on the second night.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Snackpot » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:46 pm

WeeMann wrote:15 gigs into a 33 gig tour - I would hope they wouldn't expect his voice to be far inferior on the second night.

Why not?

Anyone's voice the night after a huge concert is bound to be strained, let alone up to performing a huge concert less than 24 hours later.

Sometimes logistically and in terms of commitments it's impossible to avoid. But not for filming. If you were to pick a recording date of a concert to get optimum performance and sound would you not take the likely tiredness of the lead signers vocals into consideration and, if you had the chance to, film a concert which 48 hours rest had been given as opposed to 24?

The first Wembley show was his second live performance in 6 days. The second his third in 4 days. If you had the choice, would that not play a major part in your decision making if you were capturing it on video/DVD?

Just seems strange to me that when you had a choice of both concerts, you pick the second. Given the brief that you'd have as producer of the project, potential strain on the vocals should have been foreseen. Even if it was 15 dates into a 33 gig tour, 3 shows in 4 days should set some potential 'quality' alarm bells ringing. It should at least say that 'this' isn't the concert to film to get maximum out of the band, especially the vocalist.

Snackpot
Spread Your Wings

Postby Minister! » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Tyne Tees Television filmed the Wembley shows and I wouldn't be at all surprised if every camera in Tyne Tees' possession was filming the Saturday night. After the local news was broadcast from Newcastle on the Friday afternoon the cameras were probably packed up and driven to London for the big Saturday shoot. That's always been my opinion, they simply didn't have the full rig available for the friday.

Minister!
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:36 pm

The only reason they filmed the Friday night was as a dry run for Gavin Taylor, so he could get an idea the camera positioning was right, and that he could catch all the action. The Saturday was ALWAYS the one they intended putting out.

I feel quite sure that if they knew then, what they know now, they'd have filmed Knebworth professionally too.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby dimcyril » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 am

Also, the Friday gig was added later than the Saturday gig so maybe the plan to film Saturday was already in place

dimcyril
Spread Your Wings

Postby BitterTears » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 pm

I guess a lot of shows are normal filmed as a 'one off' because most tours don't tend to do 2 shows back to back in the same venue. Usually only happens to the biggest acts. So if the cameras and crew are there...why not do both nights? It's not like they have to pack up and set up again.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby bluerhap » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:49 pm

One reason and one reason only. They knew I had tickets for Saturday and I would be there. :D

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 pm

if the first night was added after the saturday gig, then that's probably it.

I'm guessing they planned to film the homecoming gig, and that strong ticket sales resulted in an extra gig.

now, would the director have filmed a different gig as a camera rehearsal had there been only one gig at wembley?
my guess is no, and that the camera rehearsal was a lucky bonus, seeing as it turned out the be a two night stand, and they were able to put up the equipment the day before

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

And of course, Knebworth was an added date, so that probably explains why Wembley, and not Knebworth.

It does kind of make me wonder why they filmed Budapest, as well, but saying that, Wembley wasn't intended for commercial release, whereas Budapest was. Wembley was filmed for a TV special, and didn't see a commercial release until waaaay after.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Mr. Mercury » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 pm

I thought the reason why Wembley's second night was released was because of the rain on the first night. The reasoning for the filming of Budapest was mostly by the Hungarian government, I believe, as this was really the first big western band having a concert in the Eastern Bloc.

Mr. Mercury
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am

Interestingly enough, Gavin Taylor was the producer/director for The Tube, a programme shot by Tyne-Tees TV, and usually put out on Channel 4 on a Friday Night.

The director of Queen Live At Wembley was Gavin Taylor, the film crew were from Tyne-Tees TV, and they were filming a Queen gig for ITV on a Friday and Saturday night.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Live Killers