Why Did Brian Never Sing Lead Vocal Live?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Why Did Brian Never Sing Lead Vocal Live?

Postby Ostler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:37 pm

Was it because his voice was too weak, or he found it hard to sing and play at the same time? Yet he played and sang backing vocals, although his backing vocal always seems much less audible than Roger's. On some songs, such as 'Radio Ga-Ga' Roger is virtually singing joint lead vocal with Freddie. And of course, Roger did sing lead vocal live for 'I'm in Love withMy Car'. Was Brian too nervous? He sings a couple of lines on 'Hello, MAry Lou' at Wembley, and his voice sounds really shakey, ditto 'One Vision'. So that seems like a likely explanantion, but then I remember reading an interview with someone (possibly Tim Staffell) years ago about Smile, and how Brian used to have a solo spot in their concerts when he sang 'Yesterday' and it always brought the house down and made Tim a bit jealous. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Ostler
Spread Your Wings

Re: Why Did Brian Never Sing Lead Vocal Live?

Postby Action This Day » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I too have always wondered this. You would think Brian's ego would demand that he sing one solo but maybe he just felt he wasn't up to it? When you have the world's greatest singer in your band it must be hard to follow him. Didn't seem to stop Roger though! Brian sang lots of harmonies so nerves obviously weren't an issue. Perhaps Brian felt his guitar solo was enough?

It's interesting that Queen only ever performed 2 tracks that were sung by Brian on the album version - '39 and Sleeping on the Sidewalk - and both were sung live by Freddie instead. Sleeping on the Sidewalk only lasted one performance before being dropped altogether apparently.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Do we know that Freddie sang Sleeping On The Sidewalk? I never heard definite confirmation on this one one way or another...

I actually had wondered that too especially '39. I mean yes Freddie is the frontman, etc. but as Action noted - Roger still did I'm In Love WIth My Car. I mean even Brian's solo line in KYA for years, Freddie sang with him.

It could have been nerves. He may have been comfortable singing with the group so to speak but hesitant to be out there on his own so to speak...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby julymorning » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 am

i don't remember which interview, it was with Brian well after Freddie's death; but that question was asked.

He (Brian) answered it somewhat in the vein that because of initially Freddie taking the spot as lead singer, and as he had such an amazing vocal range for any of the songs, no matter who the writer was, that it was pretty much an unspoken assumption that Freddie would sing them.

I think I remember Brian in the same interview, alluding to Freddie's energy level and relationship with the audience, etc., but that's a bit more fuzzy in my mind.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Action This Day » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 am

Brian also let Freddie sing the first verse of Who Wants To Live Forever live. According to queenlive.ca Sleeping on the Sidewalk was performed twice actually, both times with Freddie on vocals. Not sure where they got confirmation of that from.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:55 am

Ah thanks..I did read that once before. It does say apparently so he's not sure...BUT it would fit all the given information and Brian's hesitance to sing lead at the time anyways...

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby MotherMercury » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 am

I'm not exactly sure... but I reckon he would've been very nervous to sing live next to two other fantastic singers.

I think you've got to realise, Brian's voice isn't such a voice to equip to singing live nearly every night. He sang lead on the occasional song on the album, I think he felt his duty was a guitarist. He's soft spoken and wasn't very experienced at singing. I'm not saying he's a bad singer... in fact I think he's a wonderful singer. I just don't think he could do it every night with such a soft, vulnerable voice. He could easily lose it. Freddie himself had enough trouble trying to keep his voice in good condition every night. As well as losing his voice, nerves and the fear of being compared to his band mates could've played a part. Perhaps he just wanted Freddie to do it because he's the lead singer of course. One to his own.
Mother Mercury,
Look what they've done to me,
I cannot run, I cannot hide...

MotherMercury
Spread Your Wings

A man who learned how to teach, then forgot how to learn...

Postby Lester Burnham » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I doubt it was nerves; I always got the impression he'd rather his solo spotlight have been on his guitar techniques, and not on his voice.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby julymorning » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't know if this link will work, Kes answered this question 2 years ago on this very forum.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=166&start=15
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:31 am

julymorning wrote:I don't know if this link will work,

It probably will if Kes adds all the http/colon/forward slash/forward slash bollocks for you! :D
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby julymorning » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Kes wrote:
julymorning wrote:I don't know if this link will work,

It probably will if Kes adds all the http/colon/forward slash/forward slash bollocks for you! :D

Well then,why didn't you?? :P

Ah well, if anyone still cared, at least clicking on what I posted takes one to the correct thread.

Two years from now, someone else will undoubtedly bring up the question again, in some form. ;)

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pluto » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Why did John never sing lead vocal live? Although I heard him once singing on a very show back in 1983 in Dorog.
As far as Brian's singing abilities are concerned, we first met 29 years ago in my backyard, we drank vodka and finally he sang "Leszakadt a pincelakat, jaj de fasza tyúkom akadt" better than I.

Pluto
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:53 pm

I heard John did the 'day-oh' crowd response bit instead of Freddie at that Dorog concert.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby bluerhap » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:32 pm

That Dorog concert is becoming as legendary as the Queen Anthology.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ukz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:26 pm

bluerhap wrote:That Dorog concert is becoming as legendary as the Queen Anthology.

Well it was the only time Freddie played drums live, even if it was only for half a song.

Ukz
Spread Your Wings

Return to Live Killers