More Live Albums In The Next Years. Start 2014.

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: More Live Albums In The Next Years. Start 2014.

Postby DREAMASTER » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:52 am

Kes wrote:Well, with the Rainbow set, they had three gigs to build the release from.

If they're just doing '75, with a Hammersmith set, and not adding the stuff from the '79 tour, then I don't think we're looking at quite the range of stuff that revolves around the Rainbow release, which I think meant two vinyl sets, two CD Sets, DVD, BD, and then deluxe and super-deluxe boxsets.

Kes I didn't quite get what you meant. You would like a '79 show be added to the Hammersmith release?
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby DREAMASTER » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:53 am

Wild/Wind wrote:If the want to make a very good release, they could put as extra the November shows, the setlist is far better than the December show. Simple as that, public joe will not buy similar setlist with Rainbow.

Let me disagree with you ;-)
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:28 pm

You "know" what they have recorded on multi-track from the "normal" ANATO tour?

Apart from Hammersmith 24/12/75, I'd estimate about, err, next to fuck all. Hope to be proven wrong though!
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 pm

DREAMASTER wrote:
Kes wrote:Well, with the Rainbow set, they had three gigs to build the release from.

If they're just doing '75, with a Hammersmith set, and not adding the stuff from the '79 tour, then I don't think we're looking at quite the range of stuff that revolves around the Rainbow release, which I think meant two vinyl sets, two CD Sets, DVD, BD, and then deluxe and super-deluxe boxsets.

Kes I didn't quite get what you meant. You would like a '79 show be added to the Hammersmith release?

Of course I'd like... But I'm also a realist. Whatever they have from the Live Killers and Crazy tours, will be released as part of those "eras", I seriously doubt that they will mix and match two completely different phases of their live career.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:49 pm

You mean a Rare Live esque release?
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Err, yeah, or do I mean no!

I mean, Rare Live was OK for it's day, when there was virtually sod all live Queen stuff out there. The concept was that if you made a compendium of ten shows, then due to the fact that quite possibly ten times as many potential buyers were at the shows, you might sell ten times as many.

In 2015, the number of people present at those shows, who are still alive, might be significantly lower, and so probably aren't your target audience anymore.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:10 pm

I actually liked Rare Live when I bought it because it introduced me to Queen live material I hadn't seen before. But I really wouldn't like some similar approach these days. And I guess Queen weren't too happy with it either? They certainly did not push a re-release on DVD etc.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:20 pm

any tracks on the hammersmith shows that we havent heard in other releases?
the greatest among you will be your servant

action
Don't Stop Me Now

woe to you, teachers of the law, you hypocrites!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:37 pm

action wrote:any tracks on the hammersmith shows that we havent heard in other releases?

If you mean songs that haven't been on a live album yet, no. Unless you count the Bo Rhap/KQ/MOTBQ/Bo Rhap medley.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:06 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
action wrote:any tracks on the hammersmith shows that we havent heard in other releases?

If you mean songs that haven't been on a live album yet, no. Unless you count the Bo Rhap/KQ/MOTBQ/Bo Rhap medley.

yes that's exactly what i'm getting at. i'm fed up with the re-releasing of stuff weve already heard. give us something new i say 8-)

so why the hell should we even care for the hammersmith shows? :?

is there ANY show left that could provide us with some unreleased live tracks?
the greatest among you will be your servant

action
Don't Stop Me Now

woe to you, teachers of the law, you hypocrites!

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:58 am

Yes.

In the Earl's Court and Houston set lists, there's medleys of White Man and The Prophet's Song, that although some might not like them, I do. Also, The Millionaire Waltz and Doing Alright, which I don't think are on any official releases so far.

From later tours, there's It's Late, and fuller versions of Mustapha.

So there are a few songs you won't have, but in other cases, there's completely different versions of songs we already have.

I mean, there's a LOT of difference between Now I'm Here (Live Killers), and the version on the Kampuchea album, and they were both the same year.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sbrown » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:02 am

I think there's a couple more -
Rock It and Need Your Loving Tonight should both be available from South America and/or USA.

If You Can't Beat Them from 77/78.

Good Old Fashioned Loverboy.

Body Language should also be available in some form.

It's uncertain if they have a copy of Life Is Real, but the few times it was performed it sounded great if the boots are anything to go by.

And if you consider Brian and Roger playing and singing still "Queen", then Las Parablas from 2009 in South America would be nice.

In the realms of the unfeasible probably sit The Night Comes Down, Jesus and Sleeping On The Sidewalk.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Bloody hell, as you lot made me remind myself...

Here's the White Man/Prophet's Song/Get Down Make Love (nucleus) medley from Houston. The last bit might sound like just a lot of noise to some of you, but all this audio stuff swirling around you, and the light show going on, it was like some weird trip without the drugs. You hear people say "You had to be there!" Well, with this, it seriously DID help you understand what they were doing. I saw them do it at Wembley on the following tour. Amazed the fuck out of me, anyway!

http://youtu.be/0qzAPQyQWUc
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Kes wrote:Bloody hell, as you lot made me remind myself...

Here's the White Man/Prophet's Song/Get Down Make Love (nucleus) medley from Houston. The last bit might sound like just a lot of noise to some of you, but all this audio stuff swirling around you, and the light show going on, it was like some weird trip without the drugs. You hear people say "You had to be there!" Well, with this, it seriously DID help you understand what they were doing. I saw them do it at Wembley on the following tour. Amazed the fuck out of me, anyway!

http://youtu.be/0qzAPQyQWUc

Amazing stuff! There is no denying Queen were one of the best live acts in the 70s. The closest I have been to a 70s Queen concert is discussing Queen on this forum right now, with one who has been there (Kes) :o .

I have also met a person that played in a support band for Queen on their 1976 tour. He was the frontman in a group called Supercharge, Albie Donnelly (see article). They also played at the Hyde Park gig in 1976. I was 18, asked for his autograph and how it was playing with Queen on tour. - They were nice guys was what he replied.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/hydepark-9-17-76.html

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby DREAMASTER » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Finally the press release:

Press Release: 'A Night At The Odeon' To Be Released On November 20th

“Britain’s most regal band awaits your presence…” Melody Maker, December 1975

Queen - A Night At The Odeon - Hammersmith 1975 - Multi Format release November 20

Pre-order now @ http://www.queenonlinestore.com!

December 24, 1975. London’s Hammersmith Odeon. Onstage at this legendary venue, the four members of Queen are bringing to a close a ground-breaking show, transmitted live on BBC TV, and also bringing to a climax the most eventful and exciting year in their careers so far – one that has taken them from the UK to America to Japan, sealing their transition from ambitious upstarts into one of the biggest and most important bands of the era - and beyond.

Forty years later, this groundbreaking show officially takes to the World Stage. On November 20, Queen - A Night At The Odeon - Hammersmith 1975 is released on CD, DVD, SD Blu-Ray, 2 LP vinyl, Super Deluxe Box Set and digitally through Virgin EMI. As well as a live recording of this legendary gig, the packages also include extra-special bonus features for the Queen fans.

“This concert was very special because it was the first time we ever played a whole show completely live on TV … the Christmas Show,” says Brian May. “The quality, after great rescue work and transfer into the digital domain, is amazing. And the energy we had comes across very forcefully.”

Featuring 15 tracks from their first four visionary albums, plus covers of four classic rock’n’roll staples delivered with characteristic panache, A Night At The Odeon - Hammersmith 1975 captures a band in full flight and radiating megawatts of self-confidence.

Their latest single Bohemian Rhapsody – universally hailed as one of the most ground-breaking ‘pop’ songs ever released – was in the middle of its record-breaking nine week run at Number One in the UK charts. Their fourth album, A Night At The Opera (the most expensive record ever made to that point) found Queen’s grandiose vision coalescing into a breathtaking set of songs and ushered the band into a seat at rock’s top table (just three days after the concert, A Night At The Opera reached the top of the UK album charts).

The Christmas Eve show was the climax of the 26-date ‘Queen Invite You To A Night At The Opera Tour’, which had begun mid-November and had already seen the band play four nights at the same venue a month earlier. Melody Maker magazine had trumpeted the tour with the words “Britain’s most regal band await your presence”, and the reviews of the previous shows had been ecstatic. “Queen and their music, presentation, production – everything about them says that they are more important than any other band you’ve heard,” wrote British rock magazine Sounds. “Instead of simply treading the well-worn paths to pop glory, they have made their own paths,” added The Sun.

By the time the band returned to Hammersmith on Christmas Eve, they were truly firing on all cylinders. No expense had been spared, from the stellar light show which lent a spectacular visual element to the night’s proceedings to the suitably lavish white Bechstein grand piano which had been hired especially for this show. Nor had the band themselves overlooked the finer sartorial details. Freddie Mercury sported two different satin cat suits – one black one white – during the show, designed by Wendy deSmet with the singer’s input. Similarly, Freddie had painted the nails of his left hand black for the occasion, while Brian May had his (at the time) trademark white nails.

But for all the stage dressing, every Queen concert was purely and simply about the performance – and this was no exception. Cherry-picked from Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and the triumphant A Night At The Opera, the set list showed every facet of the band, from the ornate hard rock of Keep Yourself Alive and Seven Seas Of Rhye to the baroque grandeur of The March Of The Black Queen, from the heavy metal strut of Ogre Battle and Son And Daughter to the playful genre-bending of Bring Back That Leroy Brown and Queen’s breakthrough hit Killer Queen. It was also the tour when they first unleashed the soon-to-be-legendary Bohemian Rhapsody on an unsuspecting public – to a rapturous reception.

Freddie Mercury and Brian May were the yin and yang leading from the front, while Roger Taylor and John Deacon proved themselves to be one of the greatest rhythm sections of the era. By the time they’d completed a rock’n’roll medley featuring hits by Elvis, Connie Francis, Gene Vincent and Shirley Bassey, they had the 5000-strong audience eating out of their hands.

Decades before the phrase ‘multi-media’ became a buzzword, the Christmas Eve show stood as more than just a concert. It was simultaneously broadcast in stereo on BBC Radio 1 and on the BBC 2 television institution The Old Grey Whistle Test (the show’s host Bob Harris introduced the band onstage). Luckily, although the TV cameras were turned off before the band returned for their second encore, and consequently video footage of Seven Seas Of Rhye and See What A Fool I’ve Been doesn’t exist – the audio team did continue recording and so the CD and LP formats do feature the entire show.

As a result of the coverage, the show was heavily bootlegged in subsequent years, appearing under such unlikely titles as Command Performance, Rhapsody In Red, Christmas At The Beeb, Cardiac Arrest and Halfpence.

With the issue of A Night At The Odeon this legendary show has finally been given the pedestal it deserves, delivered in fitting style, featuring an incredible new audio mix in stereo and 5.1 surround-sound plus an absolute state-of-the-art restoration of the video.

As well as audio and visual footage of the gig, the DVD and SD Blu-Ray versions feature two special bonus features – 'Looking Back At The Odeon’, a brand new 22-minute documentary featuring a previously unseen interview with Brian May and Roger Taylor by Old Grey Whistle Test presenter Bob Harris about the 1975 Hammersmith Odeon show, plus the rarely seen Live At The Budokan – Japan 1975 footage, featuring three songs (Now I'm Here, Killer Queen and In The Lap Of The Gods… Revisited) recorded during their legendary tour of the Far East.

Says Bob Harris of that night: "Christmas eve 1975 marked an important moment in the history of the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' and Queen. The band were in party mood at the Hammersmith Odeon that night and no wonder. They had already spent the best part of a month at the top of the UK singles chart with the sensational 'Bohemian Rhapsody', the video for which had instantly redefined the presentation of music on TV. They were at the peak of their powers - confident and stage sharp at the end of a barnstorming UK tour. I donned top hat and tails to salute and introduce them before they played one of the best sets I had ever seen. It was an incredible night but it was more even than that. It was the moment Queen became superstars".

The Super Deluxe Box Set also includes a never-before-heard recording from the pre-show soundcheck – something that no one outside of the band themselves knew existed until now.

Queen - A Night At The Odeon - Hammersmith 1975 is released on November 20, 2015, via Virgin EMI. It is available on CD/DVD/SD Blu-ray/CD+DVD/CD+SD Blu-ray/2LP/Super Deluxe Box Set/Digital

Full Tracklisting (CD/Vinyl/Digital)

1. Now I'm Here

2. Ogre Battle

3. White Queen (As It Began)

4. Bohemian Rhapsody

5. Killer Queen

6. The March Of The Black Queen

7. Bohemian Rhapsody (Reprise)

8. Bring Back That Leroy Brown

9. Brighton Rock

10. Guitar Solo

11. Son And Daughter

12. Keep Yourself Alive

13. Liar

14. In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited

15. Big Spender

16. Jailhouse Rock Medley

17. Seven Seas Of Rhye

18. See What A Fool I've Been

19. God Save The Queen

*DVD and SD Blu-ray formats do not include Seven Seas Of Rhye or See What A Fool I've Been.

phpBB [video]
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers