Why was the Magic Tour so short ?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Why was the Magic Tour so short ?

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm

The latter, though the former possibly numbs the pain a bit.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I'd heard they prescribed the song to bulimics to save them ramming their fingers down their throats.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Action This Day » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:27 am

There was a lot of frustration in the band towards the end of the Magic tour. Before the Madrid show there was a fight backstage involving at least Freddie and probably all of the others as well. It was during this fight that Freddie dropped his 'well I'm not going to be doing this anymore' comment which Brian referred to on the Wembley DVD.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Kit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Didn't Freddie take some persuading to do this tour? I'm sure his health was at the forefront of his mind. His behaviour change compared to previous tours has been well documented.

Kit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Yeah, maybe, but Freddie was your proverbial ostrich with his head in the sand. He never took notice of the fact he was most likely ill, until he could really no longer ignore it.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Maybe it's with the benefit with hindsight, but when you compare Milton Keynes '82 Freddie with Magic Tour '86 Freddie, he just doesn't seem to have the same energy or carefree confidence. I know he is nearly 40 but there is only a four year gap. He was also apparently paranoid about his voice going and carried steam machines etc and wasn't following the same 'lifestyle' after/between gigs.

Kit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:45 am

An old commercial catchphrase from the 80s...

"Things go better with coke"
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Two sharp pencils » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Kes wrote:An old commercial catchphrase from the 80s...

"Things go better with coke"

I remember working at a Fleetwood Mac gig at Wembley arena (Tusk tour) where I was selling official merchandise & my mates brother (who co owned Concessions - the company had exclusive selling rights to all gigs at Wembley arena & stadium) came up to our stall demanding as much cash as we had.Turns out they (Fleetwood mac) needed some loose cash to pay a dealer for their coke as( back in the day) they'd never do a gig without taking the old coke.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I think Fleetwood Mac had shares in the stuff.

I'll never forget the immortal quote of Freddie's on entering the Queen offices the morning after a tabloid published the headline "Freddie does £40,000 of cocaine in one night!"

Apparently he looked absolutely incensed, and said to the people in the office "Have you seen what they've written about me? Have you seen it?" He then smiled and said something like "Have I really cut down THAT much?"
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Billyboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Kes wrote:From AKOM on, John was losing interest in Queen at an alarming rate.

Take any point in time you want. Someone going to Bali ski-ing when the other three are beavering away in the studio. The Mike Read interview when he says "That's even harder work than being in the studio!". Him finding out Freddie was dying.

He wasn't a happy teddy bear! Don't know why, but his being pissed off with it all seems to crop up more with him during this time frame, than any other band member.

It seems to me that to some degree it was the success in the US they had with Another One Bites the Dust that got them to continue in that vein with Hot Space, which wasn't nearly as successful. I wonder if Brian and/or Roger felt any resentment toward John for "pulling" them away from their roots?

I know Freddie was into that sound as well, but as they moved forward John's songs continued to use Brian less and less. I Want To Break Free replaced Brian's solo with a synthesizer. And then on One Year of Love Brian didn't appear on the finished song at all: he was replaced by a saxophone.
I was told a million times
The show must go on

Billyboy
Spread Your Wings

Postby jimbo » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Billyboy wrote:
Kes wrote:From AKOM on, John was losing interest in Queen at an alarming rate.

Take any point in time you want. Someone going to Bali ski-ing when the other three are beavering away in the studio. The Mike Read interview when he says "That's even harder work than being in the studio!". Him finding out Freddie was dying.

He wasn't a happy teddy bear! Don't know why, but his being pissed off with it all seems to crop up more with him during this time frame, than any other band member.

It seems to me that to some degree it was the success in the US they had with Another One Bites the Dust that got them to continue in that vein with Hot Space, which wasn't nearly as successful. I wonder if Brian and/or Roger felt any resentment toward John for "pulling" them away from their roots?

I know Freddie was into that sound as well, but as they moved forward John's songs continued to use Brian less and less. I Want To Break Free replaced Brian's solo with a synthesizer. And then on One Year of Love Brian didn't appear on the finished song at all: he was replaced by a saxophone.

There is huge confusion about Hot Space. The musical direction taken on that album, and let's face it, it is the first 4 songs that people bang on about, was mainly directed by Freddie not John. Just because John wrote Another One Bites The Dust, many people assume the direction on Hot Space was down to John but it wasn't, it was mainly Freddie.

Of those 4 songs did John play any instruments at all on 3 of them? On Staying Power and Body Language Freddie played synth bass, and on Dancer Brian played synth bass :shock:

It's also worth noting that on I Want To break Free with the synth solo it was a massive hit, whereas Back Chat with the guitar solo barely charted (although I prefer Back Chat I should add).

And what about the synth direction taken by Roger on the Works? Radio Gaga is full of synth as is Machines. And I don't see people having a go at Roger for being anti-Guitar Rock and pro synth :shock:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Billyboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:18 pm

You're right, Jimbo. I guess they were all leaning in that direction to one degree or another. With John being the bass player I've always assumed he led the charge, but I guess not.

I'm actually in awe of John and the fact that he has been able to step away from the industry and truly retire. So many "artists" keep trying to come back and hold onto any diminishing returns of glory they can grab. From all accounts John was never totally comfortable in the limelight so I guess it's natural that he's not seeking it now.
I was told a million times
The show must go on

Billyboy
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bri » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Billyboy wrote:You're right, Jimbo. I guess they were all leaning in that direction to one degree or another. With John being the bass player I've always assumed he led the charge, but I guess not.

I'm actually in awe of John and the fact that he has been able to step away from the industry and truly retire. So many "artists" keep trying to come back and hold onto any diminishing returns of glory they can grab. From all accounts John was never totally comfortable in the limelight so I guess it's natural that he's not seeking it now.

And dont underestimate the support he had from Freddie.
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Postby AlexKx » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:35 am

Lol. It is truly bizarre how there can be so much criticizing for "Hot Space" onward. Those l.p.s are nothing short of the best by any recording artists. I love it all ESPECIALLY "One Year Of Love". It is amazing hearing it after "Stone Cold Crazy" on the 1992 U.S. compilation of greatest hits called "Classic Queen".

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Simon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 pm

Billyboy wrote:You're right, Jimbo. I guess they were all leaning in that direction to one degree or another. With John being the bass player I've always assumed he led the charge, but I guess not.

Couple of years back we had a discussion here what happened to John and why no contact with the band etc.
If I remember correctly, we found many hints that led to the possibility that there was a problem mainly between John and Brian.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers