Well it's time for "Live At The Hammersmith!" 2 be released!

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Well it's time for "Live At The Hammersmith!" 2 be relea

Postby jimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:37 pm

testyquesty wrote:
Simon wrote:Agree! Coming from a different country I had no idea where it was located and only based on the knowledge that Queen had apparently some amazing gigs there, I had this romantic idea of this place. When I went there last year to see Queen with Adam Lambert, I was quite disillusioned and wondered whether this is still the same venue or whether they just bought the name... I didn't feel particular safe when I walked there from my hotel which was close to Earls Court.
But once I was inside, it was quite a different vibe. Very nice venue.

I live in Hammersmith, its not that bad! Try Brixton (Academy) for rough!!!

Brixton isn't really that bad, try Croydon, now that is rough!

The only time my car has been keyed while I was still in it :shock:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby jimbo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Snackpot wrote:Always thought there's something a bit commercially risky of releasing what you could call the pre-moustache material. Not that Queen's live performances weren't excellent - better often - during this time but for it to be a product that appeals to any kind of mainstream audience you need to make it as appealing as possible and the the 80s the look, production and catalogue of hits to shill to the punters are greater.

Same as if you were releasing an Elvis concert DVD you'd go for jumpsuit Elvis. Not that this Elvis was any better particularly but the image of the man and that iconography, as well as songs, plays a major role in the sale of the product.

Similar to fact that this Freddie:

isn't as commercially 'appealing' in terms of image and brand as this Freddie:

And that Radio Ga Ga and Under Pressure are an easier sell than March Of The Black Queen or Son and Daughter.

To fans it may seem silly but to people financing these projects and looking to make money from them I think that kind of thing matters

I see what you are saying, and Queen Live in 74 or 75, would have a limited appeal, as they had only released 2, 3 or 4 albums by then, so yes there is a limit to the hits. Having said that, they would still sell very well, especially as there has never been a DVD from this period.

But you havn't mentioned the era that I've been lobbying for, the 77-79 era, when Queen were arguably at their best. By then they'd had many huge hits, and there hasn't even been a video from this time, never mind a DVD.

A Live Killers DVD for example would sell very very well indeed, of that there is no doubt!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby sebastian » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Moustache-less Freddie is still popular and widely recognised. Granted, not as much as the Live Aid one or the yellow-jacket '86 one, but the videos of Champions and especially Bo Rhap are widespread enough for a lot of casual music fans to realise that is 'also' Freddie, plus Brian's hair is the same so it wouldn't be too hard for people to realise it's Queen.

While it's true that for a lot of people who are not into Queen, the image of Freddie with the moustache and short hair is mostly associated with him, and indeed Ga Ga and Magic are more part of pop-cultural osmosis than Black Queen or Son & Daughter, it's worth pointing out that ANATO outsold The Works and the Magic album and that GH largely outsold GHII.

Perhaps the '79 concert would be less risky, as it'd still contain some hits but would also explore the pre-synth era of the band and offer a different view on their dynamics and evolution. Unfortunately for us, they've got other priorities now, such as performing with a loser from a Yank reality, releasing a solo album containing a lot of recycled material, playing acoustic gigs with a blonde pregnant singer, trying to persuade MJ's estate to greenlight the duets' release and recording an 'album' using songs that weren't deemed good enough for the likes of HS and The Works.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:53 pm

However, I think we're fully aware some of the tracks written, but never used, are of better quality than ones that were.

Maybe they didn't make The Works, or whatever, because they didn't work AT THE TIME.

Is Let Me Live better than Body Language? Only by about fifteen light years.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to Live Killers