Too few professionally recorded concerts ?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Too few professionally recorded concerts ?

Postby jimbo » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am

Two sharp pencils wrote:
TheHero wrote:A bit off-topic, but I was always impressed by the intros to their shows. They were so good at picking the right songs to open with.

- The crown rig in 1978, rising with loads of smoke covering the stage.
- Awesome red/blue colored "flying saucers" in 1980-81 combined with thunder and smoke (Montreal).
- The rising of the massive green/red "pizza oven" in 1979
- The cool intro in 1982, opening with The Hero from Flash Gordon.
- The Works tour 1984, "Machines" intro. Giant wheels rotating in the background, beautiful lighting rig.
- 1986 Tour, One Vision intro, simply a perfect show opener.

Imagine being at the front row to at least 1 concert each tour.. wow.

I wouldn't say I was in the front row to all those shows but I was definitely there at them & I totally agree with how original & breathtaking Queens' intros to shows were.Most bands in the 70's were usually introduced onto the stage.

I was only there at one of them (their last ever gig), and I agree their intro's were absolutely superb throughout their career from what I can gather!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Kes » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I think you can say they opened their gigs with the best available songs at the time.

I wouldn't have said Now I'm Here or Father To Son would have been right once they had something better, like We Will Rock You, available to them.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Simon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Kes wrote:I think you can say they opened their gigs with the best available songs at the time.

I wouldn't have said Now I'm Here or Father To Son would have been right once they had something better, like We Will Rock You, available to them.

All the more shocking to realize what awkward decisions they made during their 2008 gigs. That was really fucked up. They didn't trust their strongest newest songs. Surf's Up would have been a great opener. But no, they just used the intro and then played Hammer to Fall or something else. Weird.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Two sharp pencils wrote:
TheHero wrote:A bit off-topic, but I was always impressed by the intros to their shows. They were so good at picking the right songs to open with.

- The crown rig in 1978, rising with loads of smoke covering the stage.
- Awesome red/blue colored "flying saucers" in 1980-81 combined with thunder and smoke (Montreal).
- The rising of the massive green/red "pizza oven" in 1979
- The cool intro in 1982, opening with The Hero from Flash Gordon.
- The Works tour 1984, "Machines" intro. Giant wheels rotating in the background, beautiful lighting rig.
- 1986 Tour, One Vision intro, simply a perfect show opener.

Imagine being at the front row to at least 1 concert each tour.. wow.

I wouldn't say I was in the front row to all those shows but I was definitely there at them & I totally agree with how original & breathtaking Queens' intros to shows were.Most bands in the 70's were usually introduced onto the stage.

Cool!! :D

Which show opening did most impression on you, or which one did you like the most ? I have only seen the videos, but to me it looks like the 1980-81 intros were pretty awesome! It was a very classy, efficient lighting rig. Even with the standard of todays lighting rigs, I must say the set-up Queen used in 1980 is just perfect for the kind of music they did. It would still look awesome today.. with all the white lights across the stage floor, and the drumkit on top of a podium.

You never see stages like that anymore.. Lots of smoke covering the all the white lights is a very simple idea, but very efficient, gives an atmosphere to the concert, which I think the concerts of today don't manage to create.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:08 pm

This is what I am talking about in the previous post. A really beautiful stage set-up. If I remember correctly I think I have read somewhere that the band members also contributed with their own ideas to this design ?

White lights, smoke, thunder effects.. awesome intro!

Queen, such a great band!

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fizzle wrote:I wanna see more early/mid 70s concerts! :onfire:

I'd like to see any :shock:

As still there has never been an official Live Queen DVD from the 70's at all, ridiculous really when you think about it!

I'm sure we will get some soon though.

Yes, can you understand that? The 70s was their most creative period, and still there is not a single official concert available ?

That is just sad really. It could have been a chance to show Queen at their most versatile period, progressive rock and all that.. Perhaps they would have gained new fans too.

The 1974 concert at The Rainbow is their best recorded concert from that period I think.

Wait a minute.. In 2014 it is 40 years since the 1974 concert... hmmm... maybe we will see a 40th anniversary DVD coming out next year ?? :cool:

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby jimbo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:49 pm

^^^ Yes, this is exactly what I hope will happen. I talked about this before, that they could use the 40th Anniversary to issue Live DVD's every year from now on for the next 12 years or so.

In fact I was reading Queenzone, and someone called "Raffy" developed this idea below in a post there, which I agree would be absolutely brilliant :-D

"Hi all you beautiful people on QueenzoneLand ;)
latest news regarding the release as an edited simil-VHS version of Rock In Rio concert have further cooled our expectations. I am writing this post just to fantasize a little bit, but, why not, also give some useful advice to the QP people on future and hypothetical releases under the name Queen. I'm looking forward to your opinions and would be curious also to know what GT and GB are thinking about it since they are our only direct contact with the band in this forum. Publications are expanded in a span of 9 years (as if to say "time will tell"), but given the slow times that we are used to, this is the norm. What do you think? Which one of these releases would you rather?

March or November 2014 - LIVE AT THE RAINBOW - Including a mix of both November nights (11-19 & 11-20) to make a sort of "best-of complete set" plus London 3-31 video part available as a bonus (including Son And Daughter, Brian May Solo, Modern Times Rock 'n' Roll).
Formats:
Standard Editions - 1 dvd9 or 1 Blu-ray
Deluxe Editions: 1 dvd9 + 2 cd (including audio from the November mix) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd
Collector's Editions: 1 dvd9 + 3 cd (a bonus cd with complete soundboard recording from March gig) or 1 Blu-ray + 3 cd

Xmas 2015 - LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH ODEON - Complete video from the 1975 gig at the Odeon (except for Seven Seas Of Rhye and See What A Fool I've Been who were obviously not filmed) and Bob Harris + Brian May and Roger Taylor Interviews as a bonus.
Formats:
Deluxe Editions: 1 dvd9 + 2 cd (including complete Hammy set) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2016 - LIVE AT HYDE PARK - Complete video from the 1976 gig at the park.
Formats:
Deluxe Editions: 1 dvd9 + 2 cd (including complete Hyde Park set) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2017 - LIVE AT EARLS COURT - Including mix of both June gigs (6-6 & 6-7) to make a sort of "best-of complete set".
Formats:
Deluxe Editions: 1 dvd9 + 2 cd (including audio-mix of both nights) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2018 - LIVE IN HOUSTON - Complete video plus a documentary including backstage footage, rehearsals, Bob Harris interviews etc... plus all Berlin and Munich '78 available footage.
Formats:
Standard Editions - 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1 dvd5) or 1 Blu-ray
Deluxe Editions: 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1 dvd5) + 2 cd (including audio from Houston gig) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2019 - LIVE KILLERS BOXSET - 1st dvd: Complete Paris '79 set (mix of 2-27/2-28 & 3-1 nights); 2nd dvd: all available Live Killers tour footage including tv reports from Brussels 1-26-79, Rotterdam 1-29-79, Munich 2-10-79, Munich 2-11-79, Madrid 2-23-79, Poitiers 2-25-79, Tokyo 4-24-79, Tokyo 4-25-79; 3rd dvd: complete Hammersmith Odeon '79 gig.
Formats:
Standard Editions - 3 dvd9 or 1 Blu-ray
Deluxe Editions: 3 dvd9 + 2 cd (including "Live Killers" remastered with songs missing from the originial edition like "It's late" and "Somebody to love") or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd
Collector's Editions: 3 dvd9 + 6 cd ("Live Killers" remastered with songs missing from the originial edition + 2 cd set from Paris gig and 2 cd set from Hammy gig) or 1 Blu-ray + 6 cd.

5 September 2020 - SOUTH AMERICAN TOUR - a "best of" video compilation combining songs from 3 professional recorded 1981 gigs in South America (3-8-81 Buenos Aires / São Paulo 3-20-81 / Caracas 9-27-81) with restored video and sound taken directly from the masters plus bonus interviews, tv reports, rehearsals.
Formats:
Deluxe Editions: 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1 dvd5) + 2 cd (including the audio from the dvd-blu ray disc) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2021 - LIVE IN JAPAN - 1st dvd: Tokyo 5-1-75 Tv report & Tokorozawa 11-3-82 concert (LD remastered edition); 2nd dvd: Tokyo 5-11-85 concert (remastered audio mix).
Formats:
Standard Editions - 2 dvd9 or 1 Blu-ray
Deluxe Editions: 2 dvd9 + 4 cd (2 cd: Tokorozawa 11-3-82; other 2 cd: Tokyo 5-11-85) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

5 September 2022 - ROCK IN RIO - a "best of" video compilation combining footage from both nights (Rio de Janeiro 1-12-85 & 1-19-85) plus tv reports, rehearsals, interviews & bonus performances.
Formats:
Standard Editions - 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1dvd5) or 1 Blu-ray
Deluxe Editions: 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1dvd5) + 2 cd (audio from the video compilation) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd.

And... drum roll... last but not least...

5 September 2023 - LIVE AT KNEBWORTH PARK - It's just an hope... ;) Complete video of Freddie's last concert including all Doro footage as a bonus.
Formats:
Deluxe Editions: 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1 dvd5) + 2 cd (audio from Knebworth concert) or 1 Blu-ray + 2 cd
Collector's Editions: 2 dvd (1 dvd9 + 1 dvd5) + 4 cd (2 cd for the Knebworth concert, the other 2 for Live Magic extended remastered including complete live versions of every track and missing songs taken from various gig during that tour like Leiden, Mannheim, Budapest, Friday concert at Wembley etc...) or 1 Blu-ray + 4 cd "
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby TheHero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 pm

The big question is:

Which concert of the the two is the better (music, sound, picture quality):

- Earls Court 1977
- Houston 1977

Has anyone got any idea ?

A bonus with Houston, is that we get to see the entire "Crown lighting rig" when it is moving downwards at the end of the concert: http://youtu.be/DJDPkg4aD8U?t=1h48m17s

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm

A Live Killers DVD set would be ok.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to Live Killers