Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Was Queen's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986

Poll ended at Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Yes, it was, Freddie never did another Queen gig after that.
22
96%
No, it wasn't, as Adam Lambert has already done some gigs as the new singer with Queen.
1
4%
 
Total votes : 23

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby jimbo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:31 pm

CNB wrote:jimbo, I was thinking the same thing that you wouldn't have ALL of the same people for every gig. But are you saying that these A-listers would be singing primarily Queen songs or their own songs along with the Queen songs?


I would see these gigs for a final worldwide tour for Brian and Roger as "Queen+friends", and that's "friends" in the music business, not the old TV series :?

I would see these A-listers (maybe about 6 for each gig) as being on stage for between say 3 and 5 songs each, maybe 1 or 2 songs of their own and then 2 or 3 Queen songs. I'm sure Brian and Roger would love to play on say some old Beatles,David Bowie, Led Zeppelin tracks or whatever they can arrange.

As I say, it wouldn't be at all easy to sort out, but it could be sold as the final "Queen+" worldwide tour. I'm sure Jim Beach could get stuck into it and sort something out. They've got time if this was planned for 2015.

And OK I'm just dreaming, as it is unlikely to happen, but it could, if Brian and Roger really wanted it to, I'm sure of that!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).
 
jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

let's go....

      
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby icy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm

CNB wrote:
jimbo wrote:Well the poll finished with 96% saying that yes, Queen's last ever gig was at Knebworth in 1986, that was 22 votes against 1, so not even slightly close, in fact a really clear decision here by Queen fans :shock:

I am surprised it is so one-sided, but it is correct. As I said even Roger himself said as much in an interview recently.

The "Queen+" gigs (which are not actually Queen gigs) are a great opportunity for Brian and Roger to get out there and play live Queen songs, and a great opportunity for fans to see them playing live, that never had a chance before, for whatever reasons, and I'm sure are good fun for all.

I just think they need to be careful though, as if they do get Adam Lambert to do a whole world tour with them, then I don't think it looks good, as he just isn't popular enough, he is not an "A-lister", and Queen (arguably the greatest group of all-time) deserve better, I have no doubt about that at all.

Adam doing a few one-off is fine like I said, but a whole world tour with him, and possibly Brian and Roger's last, is not OK in my opinion. They should spend some time arranging a proper world tour for next year, just a few gigs in the big cities around the world, with the likes of Paul McCartney, David Bowie, George Michael, Lady Gaga, Robert Plant whoever they can get, but make it A-listers. It could be something similar to the Freddie Tribute 92, which was amazing. It won't be easy to arrange, but as I said before nothing is, that is really worthwhile.


I agree that doing another show like the Freddie Tribute would be great but I disagree with the definition of A-lister. Those A-listers don't have the vocal chops to compete with Adam and he would be an A-lister by now if he hadn't been held back by the conservatives in America. Such a show would be a one-time event compared to a world tour as those A-listers have their own tours planned. I know Gaga has such a tour planned this year.

If Brian and Roger did another show like the Freddie Tribute, do you really think it's about the vocal chops? The one in 1992 was to pay Tribute to Freddie and raise awareness/money about AIDS. When I think of the day, the last thing I think about is the power of someone's voice or vocal chops. This from someone who understands the emotion of the day. People gave up their time in 1992, I dare say some artists would do it again.
Boo hoo cry me a river when you once again bringing up that AL "was held back by the conservatives in America" I guess you have to bring that up in a discussion somehow :sleepy: .
Compete with AL. Not what a show of this nature is about. Elton John wasn't the best at the Tribute but it was sure stunning and wonderful watching him and so many others playing Tribute to Freddie, and raising awareness.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:31 pm

As I say, it wouldn't be at all easy to sort out, but it could be sold as the final "Queen+" worldwide tour. I'm sure Jim Beach could get stuck into it and sort something out. They've got time if this was planned for 2015.

And OK I'm just dreaming, as it is unlikely to happen, but it could, if Brian and Roger really wanted it to, I'm sure of that!


Jimbo, here's another thought: Who says it would be their "final" Queen tour? These guys are in their mid-60's. McCartney is still going strong and he is going to be 72 this year. Brian and Roger might not be ready to call it a "final" tour! :biggrin:
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!
 
CNB
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 9176
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 517 times
Been thanked: 413 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12 pm

CNB wrote:Those A-listers don't have the vocal chops to compete with Adam and he would be an A-lister by now if he hadn't been held back by the conservatives in America.



Total BS! He would be an A-lister if the people who purchased his first album purchased his second album, but just like 95% of all Idol artists his second album failed. This happens to the straight ones as well. Mr. Conservative's (Scotty McCreery) second album is struggling right now and his first one went platinum.

BTW Adam's first album went platinum or gold in several countries but Trespassing didn't. Are you going to blame that on conservative Finland, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand? Nope, you can blame it on people all over the world losing interest.

I'm pretty sure this will be B&R's last tour of the US because there will be no use in coming back after this tour.
Last edited by The Milkman on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby The Milkman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm

jimbo wrote: The point is that Brian and Roger deserve the top A-listers playing with them on a final worldwide tour, and they could achieve this for sometime in 2015, if they get organising it now!


I agree but maybe they are too old too and stubborn to deal with those A-listers' egos. I think they feel it's easier to work with somebody they can control.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby icy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

The Milkman wrote:
CNB wrote:Those A-listers don't have the vocal chops to compete with Adam and he would be an A-lister by now if he hadn't been held back by the conservatives in America.



Total BS! He would be an A-lister if the people who purchased his first album purchased his second album, but just like 95% of all Idol artists his second album failed. This happens to the straight ones as well. Mr. Conservative's (Scotty McCreery) second album is struggling right now and his first one went platinum.

BTW Adam's first album went platinum or gold in several countries but Trespassing didn't. Are you going to blame that on conservative Finland, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand? Nope, you can blame it on people all over the world losing interest.

I'm pretty sure this will be B&R's last tour of the US because there will be no use in coming back after this tour.

Milkman, when I read he has "been held back by the conservatives in America" it's just an lazy, often repeated, unfair excuse that some Glamberts have at the ready. In all my time of being an EJ fan(since 1992) I've not read anyone say that as an excuse as to why his music isn't selling, being played etc. Or George Michael's, or Melissa Etheridge's music...just when it comes to AL have I read some people say that.
I really hope these with AL shows will not be the last ones, if so that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I'd be all for a show or a few with long term fans in the business. I never thought I'd see the day of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing together and doing it so well IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby The Milkman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:39 am

icy wrote:Milkman, when I read he has "been held back by the conservatives in America" it's just an lazy, often repeated, unfair excuse that some Glamberts have at the ready. In all my time of being an EJ fan(since 1992) I've not read anyone say that as an excuse as to why his music isn't selling, being played etc. Or George Michael's, or Melissa Etheridge's music...just when it comes to AL have I read some people say that.
I really hope these with AL shows will not be the last ones, if so that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I'd be all for a show or a few with long term fans in the business. I never thought I'd see the day of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing together and doing it so well IMO.



I get tired of having to repeat it as well, but I refuse to let people try to make it look like most of the US are horrible homophobes. Yes, we have a bunch of white trash red necks and a bunch of white collared pricks who are homophobes but they are not holding Adam back. I'm sure the UK have their share of people just like that. Tons of straight aritsts are trying to make it in the Top 40 world and they are getting rejected as well. Adam's problem is he came from Idol and he's just a guy with a good voice. He has to rely on too many people for songs. Acts like Katy Perry, JT, Ke$ha, and Bruno write their own songs because they are more than a one trick pony.

EJ came out in the late 70's and he made a major comeback in the 80s that lasted through the early 90s.

I really have a gut feeling that this is the last tour Brian & Roger will do in the US.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby icy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 am

The Milkman wrote:
icy wrote:Milkman, when I read he has "been held back by the conservatives in America" it's just an lazy, often repeated, unfair excuse that some Glamberts have at the ready. In all my time of being an EJ fan(since 1992) I've not read anyone say that as an excuse as to why his music isn't selling, being played etc. Or George Michael's, or Melissa Etheridge's music...just when it comes to AL have I read some people say that.
I really hope these with AL shows will not be the last ones, if so that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
I'd be all for a show or a few with long term fans in the business. I never thought I'd see the day of Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr playing together and doing it so well IMO.



I get tired of having to repeat it as well, but I refuse to let people try to make it look like most of the US are horrible homophobes. Yes, we have a bunch of white trash red necks and a bunch of white collared pricks who are homophobes but they are not holding Adam back. I'm sure the UK have their share of people just like that. Tons of straight aritsts are trying to make it in the Top 40 world and they are getting rejected as well. Adam's problem is he came from Idol and he's just a guy with a good voice. He has to rely on too many people for songs. Acts like Katy Perry, JT, Ke$ha, and Bruno write their own songs because they are more than a one trick pony.

EJ came out in the late 70's and he made a major comeback in the 80s that lasted through the early 90s.

I really have a gut feeling that this is the last tour Brian & Roger will do in the US.

I agree with everything in your post. It's my gut feeling too, I had it since even before Brian's health scare.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby jimbo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 am

CNB wrote:
As I say, it wouldn't be at all easy to sort out, but it could be sold as the final "Queen+" worldwide tour. I'm sure Jim Beach could get stuck into it and sort something out. They've got time if this was planned for 2015.

And OK I'm just dreaming, as it is unlikely to happen, but it could, if Brian and Roger really wanted it to, I'm sure of that!


Jimbo, here's another thought: Who says it would be their "final" Queen tour? These guys are in their mid-60's. McCartney is still going strong and he is going to be 72 this year. Brian and Roger might not be ready to call it a "final" tour! :biggrin:


They've basically said that they are likely to only do one more worldwide tour, but will continue to play live the odd one-off gig until they die!
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).
 
jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

let's go....

      
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby jimbo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:54 am

The Milkman wrote:
jimbo wrote: The point is that Brian and Roger deserve the top A-listers playing with them on a final worldwide tour, and they could achieve this for sometime in 2015, if they get organising it now!


I agree but maybe they are too old too and stubborn to deal with those A-listers' egos. I think they feel it's easier to work with somebody they can control.


Yeah, I think you are right there unfortunately. They will probably take the easy/lazy option. I suppose I can't blame them, but if I had their ear and any influence, then I would try and persuade them to think big and go for the 2015 "Queen+friends" worldwide tour :-D

Would they really be happier playing to a 5000 seater hall in London and New York with Q+AL, or would they rather be playing 20 to 70,000 seater stadiums like say Madison Square Garden and Wembley Stadium as "Queen+friends". It is up to them basically :shock:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).
 
jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

let's go....

      
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby BitterTears » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:46 am

Queen + Adam Bolton also means they can go out and put on a 'Queen' show. Go to a Queen + George Michael show and you'll have to put up with all George's boring songs as well. You'd be begging for Paul Rodgers to come back and play Seagull.

I don't know why I'm taking shots at George Michael but I guess my general point is sound. AL can play the role of a glorified session musician or hired gun. You won't get that with any A-lister.
 
BitterTears
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby The Milkman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:55 am

BitterTears wrote:Queen + Adam Bolton also means they can go out and put on a 'Queen' show. Go to a Queen + George Michael show and you'll have to put up with all George's boring songs as well. You'd be begging for Paul Rodgers to come back and play Seagull.

I don't know why I'm taking shots at George Michael but I guess my general point is sound. AL can play the role of a glorified session musician or hired gun. You won't get that with any A-lister.



I know I would pay a lot of money to see George do those boring songs, but you would have to pay me to go to a Q+AL show.
Being offended is a small price to pay for the right to free speech.
 
The Milkman
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 5975
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby icy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:41 am

BitterTears wrote:Queen + Adam Bolton also means they can go out and put on a 'Queen' show. Go to a Queen + George Michael show and you'll have to put up with all George's boring songs as well. You'd be begging for Paul Rodgers to come back and play Seagull.

I don't know why I'm taking shots at George Michael but I guess my general point is sound. AL can play the role of a glorified session musician or hired gun. You won't get that with any A-lister.

IMO, GM was never boring throughout his career. He sure came a long ways in his early career to when he went solo in a few short years.
There was no ego at the Freddie Tribute, I remember many acts and fans that were there on the day saying so.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16386
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 558 times

Re: Was QUEEN's last ever gig at Knebworth in 1986?

Postby jimbo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:03 pm

BitterTears wrote:Queen + Adam Bolton also means they can go out and put on a 'Queen' show. Go to a Queen + George Michael show and you'll have to put up with all George's boring songs as well. You'd be begging for Paul Rodgers to come back and play Seagull.

I don't know why I'm taking shots at George Michael but I guess my general point is sound. AL can play the role of a glorified session musician or hired gun. You won't get that with any A-lister.


No, I disagree. Brian and Roger could get A-listers is they really tried. As I said, if they announce a final worldwide tour, they could get these people, if they arrange it early enough. It's not unusual to have huge Special guests playing live at big stadium gigs.

There would be compromise needed to achieve this, but then Brian could break a habit of a lifetime in order to play at Madison Square Garden and Wembley Stadium again, so who knows :lol:
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).
 
jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

let's go....

      
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 pm
Location: England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 112 times

Previous

Return to Live Killers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest