HOW LOUD were they???

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: HOW LOUD were they???

Postby bluerhap » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 am

Jimi wrote:I recall Elland Road being crystal clear sound with brilliant definition between the instruments and vocals.
It didn't seem overly loud and that may be why. It also improved the sound of the hot space tracks immensely.
Birmingham 84 was very loud but maybe that down to the poor acoustics of the arena.

Agreed but how great was Birmingham on the Works Tour. A brilliant concert on the Saturday night I was there.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Cool Cat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

bluerhap wrote:
Jimi wrote:I recall Elland Road being crystal clear sound with brilliant definition between the instruments and vocals.
It didn't seem overly loud and that may be why. It also improved the sound of the hot space tracks immensely.
Birmingham 84 was very loud but maybe that down to the poor acoustics of the arena.

Agreed but how great was Birmingham on the Works Tour. A brilliant concert on the Saturday night I was there.

Me too, and had great seats, very close to the stage, sat on the side to the left.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby bluerhap » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Cool Cat wrote:
bluerhap wrote:

Me too, and had great seats, very close to the stage, sat on the side to the left.

Always thought the Works Tour was best. Best stage set. Best set list and Fred on top form apart from forgetting the words that night to Seven Seas of Rhye the whole band just clicked that night. Happy Days.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Jimi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Totally agree about Birmingham 84. Best stage set and set list. I was there Friday and Saturday and spoke to Roger and Brian as they arrived for the sound check. They were driven into the arena around the back in blue Mercedes I seem to remember

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lino » Mon May 19, 2014 11:14 pm

I saw Q+PR in Lisbon and although it was not so loud (it was a stadium with homes around) it was fair enough to be a crystal clear sound, which is ruined when it's too loud.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby fosterol » Sat May 31, 2014 8:19 am

remember knebworth not being to loud and was stood next to speaker stack....could have been louder

fosterol
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Personally, I'd have said in retrospect that the earlier indoor gigs seemed a bit louder to me.

As regards tinnitus, I've worked on planes, and their jet engines, since I was sixteen, and bearing that in mind, I don't think my hearing's that bad, so maybe like most things that tend to f*ck people up, there's a degree of predisposed susceptibility in the individual in there, that goes hand in hand with what we think is the main cause of a given problem.

Like the person who smokes forty a day since they were twelve, and lives into their nineties. We know something might not be good for us "on average", but different people have different thresholds of how it will affect them in the long term.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby jimbo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:03 am

Kes wrote:Personally, I'd have said in retrospect that the earlier indoor gigs seemed a bit louder to me.

As regards tinnitus, I've worked on planes, and their jet engines, since I was sixteen, and bearing that in mind, I don't think my hearing's that bad, so maybe like most things that tend to f*ck people up, there's a degree of predisposed susceptibility in the individual in there, that goes hand in hand with what we think is the main cause of a given problem.

Like the person who smokes forty a day since they were twelve, and lives into their nineties. We know something might not be good for us "on average", but different people have different thresholds of how it will affect them in the long term.

Yeah, it's definitely a combination of both. My family has a history of ear problems, and I've been to about 2000 gigs. I was always going to get tinnitus. I manage it fine now, but wish I'd taken more care a few years ago.
Hot Space is actually only my 6th favourite Queen album.
(But is a very underrated album in my opinion).

jimbo
Don't Stop Me Now

let's go....

Postby Khashoggi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm

Pingu wrote:I never saw Queen live but caught the tribute at Wembley stadium. The sound on the day was rubbish to be honest, the volume was OK but the drums were really boomy and John was utterly inaudible throughout (Spinal Tap's bass player was mixed better!).

Now that's interesting to read, cause whenever I watched the tribute concert on dvd oder video, I always thought "My god, that must've been a great sound there."
Were you close to the stage, or did you experience the gig from the back? Wembley must have been a difficult venue for Trip Khalaf, anyway. It looked so huge and so long, I always wonder how the people experienced, for example, the 1986 Wembley gigs from the back of the stadium. How did it sound? Maybe anyone knows.
2005 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Köln)
2008 / Queen + Paul Rodgers, (Hannover)
2015 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2016 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)
2017 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Munich)
2018 / Queen + Adam Lambert, (Köln)

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Take a holiday on Khashoggi's Ship..

Postby Khashoggi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:44 pm

bluerhap wrote:They were so loud your heart would vibrate to Rogers drum and John's base.

I love to read sentences like this. I'm so freakin' jealous. :shock: You're lucky to have seem them live, just like anyone else who has.

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby Khashoggi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:47 pm

fosterol wrote:remember knebworth not being to loud and was stood next to speaker stack....could have been louder

Was it just Knebworth, or was the complete "Magic Tour" not that loud? I'm not getting tired of reading your stories here, people. So please keep them coming!!! :)
It's so interesting to read these things, it makes it a little easier to imagine how it must have been in the early days. :cool:

Khashoggi
We Will Rock You

Postby bluerhap » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Khashoggi wrote:
fosterol wrote:remember knebworth not being to loud and was stood next to speaker stack....could have been louder

Was it just Knebworth, or was the complete "Magic Tour" not that loud? I'm not getting tired of reading your stories here, people. So please keep them coming!!! :)
It's so interesting to read these things, it makes it a little easier to imagine how it must have been in the early days. :cool:

I think the smaller halls and arena's were louder because of indoor acoustics. Wembley and Knebworth were probably louder but the sound was lost as there was no roof. As to the question could it be heard at the back of Wembley , don't know, I was 10 yards from the front of the stage.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Postby Action This Day » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:48 am

Khashoggi wrote:Wembley must have been a difficult venue for Trip Khalaf, anyway.

Trip Khalaf had no problems getting a good sound at their previous appearances at Wembley i.e. Live Aid and the two Magic tour dates.

Action This Day
We Will Rock You

Postby Pingu » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Khashoggi wrote:
Pingu wrote:I never saw Queen live but caught the tribute at Wembley stadium. The sound on the day was rubbish to be honest, the volume was OK but the drums were really boomy and John was utterly inaudible throughout (Spinal Tap's bass player was mixed better!).

Now that's interesting to read, cause whenever I watched the tribute concert on dvd oder video, I always thought "My god, that must've been a great sound there."
Were you close to the stage, or did you experience the gig from the back? Wembley must have been a difficult venue for Trip Khalaf, anyway. It looked so huge and so long, I always wonder how the people experienced, for example, the 1986 Wembley gigs from the back of the stadium. How did it sound? Maybe anyone knows.

I was about level with the sound desk, so about 1/3 of the way back. The dvd/vhs releases were extensively remixed (and sound great) but the radio broadcast is more like how it sounded, try this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ta5njF ... P&index=62

Perhaps it wasn't quite so bad on the day but John was definitely mixed way low, and drowned out by the drums anyway, which were really heavy. The vocals too were quite low - everyone sang along so much that they were largely inaudible in fact. Guns and Roses were the only act that sounded great, their sound really roared out of the speakers.

Pingu
We Will Rock You

Postby Two sharp pencils » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:51 am

Pingu wrote:
Khashoggi wrote:

I was about level with the sound desk, so about 1/3 of the way back. The dvd/vhs releases were extensively remixed (and sound great) but the radio broadcast is more like how it sounded, try this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ta5njF ... P&index=62

Perhaps it wasn't quite so bad on the day but John was definitely mixed way low, and drowned out by the drums anyway, which were really heavy. The vocals too were quite low - everyone sang along so much that they were largely inaudible in fact. Guns and Roses were the only act that sounded great, their sound really roared out of the speakers.

Roger's snare drum was mixed way too loud at Wembley '86 as well.

Two sharp pencils
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers