The Live Aid Set List

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: The Live Aid Set List

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:00 am

mab wrote:
WeeMann wrote:Yeah, I noticed that too.

Intriguing, as it contradicts Brian's standard line that Live Aid (1985) and the Magic Tour (1986) were Freddie's (and Queen's) live peak.

What's "intriguing"? That they have different points of view? Is that news?

Incidentally, I agree with Roger. All the footage from 1980-1982 is unbelievable.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby mab » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:44 am

bigV wrote:
mab wrote:
WeeMann wrote:Yeah, I noticed that too.

Intriguing, as it contradicts Brian's standard line that Live Aid (1985) and the Magic Tour (1986) were Freddie's (and Queen's) live peak.

What's "intriguing"? That they have different points of view? Is that news?

Incidentally, I agree with Roger. All the footage from 1980-1982 is unbelievable.

V.

What's ''intriguing'', bigV, is that they can see their joint career quite differently indeed.

Brian has stated the ''we were at our peak in 85/86'' line repeatedly. Many, many occasions. Interesting that Roger has quite a different view.

1981/1982. Mmm. They may have played well live back then but the Hot Space period is hardly a favourite musically.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:06 am

mab wrote:1981/1982. Mmm. They may have played well live back then but the Hot Space period is hardly a favourite musically.

True, the album was crap, but they gave the material their all in the live show. "Staying Power" really sounded amazing in concert!

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:48 am

Crap? Or crap compared to other Queen albums?

Personally, I'd rate Hot Space leagues ahead of 90% of the shite that's made the album charts in the 28 years since.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby mab » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:55 am

Kes wrote:Crap? Or crap compared to other Queen albums?

Personally, I'd rate Hot Space leagues ahead of 90% of the shite that's made the album charts in the 28 years since.

No, Kes. It's crap as in crap, except one or two tracks.

Countless superior albums made since. Laughing Stock, Spirit of Eden, Hats, Parklife, Definitely Maybe, Shleep, OK Computer, Urban Hymns, Funeral. That's just off the top of my head.

There is no way that Hot Space is a decent record. If that was a debut, it would have been the artist's last record.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby mab » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:59 am

August and Everything After, Grace, Together Alone, The Animal Years, The Rising.

More and more coming to mind.

Hot Space is not, by any commonly used definition, a good record.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:02 am

IMHO, Hot Space is better than both The Works, and AKOM, so it's all subjective.

I think the correct quote should have been that you "THINK" it's crap, not that it "IS" crap, as stating it as fact, implies you speak for everybody. Here's one you ain't speaking for!
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

As there's possibly been about 150,000 albums released in a 25-30 year period, then 10% of that would equate to 15,000 albums that would be better than Hot Space, IMHO.

It would be a bit silly to try and name all of them. That's a LOT of f*cking albums!

The album possibly isn't as versatile or "catchy" as their previous albums, but it's there, it's part of the catalogue, unlike all these demos everybody is asking them to release. Now, if they think Hot Space is better than those demos, (which they patently do), then you're just giving them a possible reason not to put them out, if they need one.

Personally, I'm blaming the Americans for Hot Space. If they hadn't gone doo-f*cking-lally for AOBTD, and made John stupidly rich in about three months, then other people's expensive coke habits, possibly wouldn't have co-erced them into that area of commerciality.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby mab » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:11 am

Kes wrote:IMHO, Hot Space is better than both The Works, and AKOM, so it's all subjective.

I think the correct quote should have been that you "THINK" it's crap, not that it "IS" crap, as stating it as fact, implies you speak for everybody. Here's one you ain't speaking for!

Better than The Works??! What, on Hot Space, comes close to Radio Ga Ga?! What comes close to I Want To Break Free?! What comes close to It's A Hard Life?!

Sorry - The Works errs ONLY on Machines - just one track. With Hot Space, it's easier to list the decent tracks - seeing as there's only two or three of those.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 am

Kes wrote:IMHO, Hot Space is better than both The Works, and AKOM, so it's all subjective.

Majority rules, my friend. 9 out of 10 Queen fans would agree that 9 out of 11 songs on that album were crap. This was proven by the relatively poor sales of the album.

It's a crap album compared to the one before (I am referring to "The Game") and the one after. Sure, it's a Queen album and that on principle makes it light years better than anything else that was released in the same year, but within Queen's body of work it's the weak link.

I enjoy it too... some of it. But there are parts of it that I can't stand ("Body Language" for example). What I dislike about it is that it lacks the feeling of a band album. Musically it's perfect, lyrically less so, but it sounds like an album made by four strangers, rather than a band that's like a family. The four of them weren't on the best terms at the time and it shows in the music. That's why I enjoy "The Miracle" so much - it's an album made by four people who are on the same wavelength.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:17 am

And Machines is quite possibly the most progressive track on the album.

I'd certainly rate it over 'Tear It Up', which quite frankly IMHO is about the third most boring song they recorded, and the "heard it all before" Play The Game Pt 2, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love Pt 2.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby mab » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:20 am

Kes wrote:And Machines is quite possibly the most progressive track on the album.

I'd certainly rate it over 'Tear It Up', which quite frankly IMHO is about the third most boring song they recorded, and the "heard it all before" Play The Game Pt 2, and Crazy Little Thing Called Love Pt 2.

Man On The Prowl may revisit the same ground as CLTCL (and less successfully so) but I'd rather listen to that than Staying Power, or Back Chat, or Body Language or Cool Cat.

It's A Hard Life is VASTLY superior to Play The Game. No comparison for me.

And Tear It Up is, similarly, much better than Put Out The Fire.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:23 am

V, that's fair enough. Opinion is subjective. A lot of my friends around the late 70s early 80's thought Queen were completely shit, and it was only when they started doing bloody paraphrased Chic covers, that they thought Queen had seen the light.

I followed Queen as a rock band, but knew they were versatile enough that if they wanted to do an Elvis pastiche, or a disco one, they could, with relatively little effort.

I like most would not pick an original track off Hot Space to go in my Queen top 50 (bearing in mind that Under Pressure is a bolt on, and was a single months before album session work had finished). So, in essence, I agree. I don't however, appreciate being told what is categorically shit, like it's fact, and that there's no room for individual preferences.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:24 am

Took me ages to figure out what Freddie was on about. Who the f*ck is Tony Lewis?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 am

Anyway, I happen to like Queen, and see each album like an author's series of books. Some bits follow previous patterns, some bits don't. Some are better than others, some aren't. If you don't ever make any lows, how can you judge the highs?

When they've chosen direction, something's told them to do that. For instance the song "We Will Rock You". We know Brian had this pegged as a possible 12-bar blues rock number, as per the session and live fast versions. A great rock song, yet at a given point of developing the song, he's chosen to go with a stripped back version with virtually no instruments. It "could" have been a disaster and turned a good song into drivel, but it didn't. Who here like the fast version? (Maybe even more than the regular one?)
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers