Your Favorite Concert?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: Your Favorite Concert?

Postby JLP » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Cool Cat wrote:
JLP wrote:I saw the Spring 1978 tour too. Great concert at Bingley Hall and, because it was pre internet days, I didn't have anywhere to stay afterwards so ended up kipping in the buffet in Crewe railway station.

Yeah i was at that one as well, they did 2 consecutive nights that year, i luckily live only 40 miles from the venue, so it was only a 2 hour coach ride home.

I was there on the Saturday. It was the day of the FA Cup final. Ipswich beat Aresenal and I actually took a radio so I could listen to it. Of course back then, the FA Cup was important.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Cool Cat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm

JLP wrote:
Cool Cat wrote:
JLP wrote:I saw the Spring 1978 tour too. Great concert at Bingley Hall and, because it was pre internet days, I didn't have anywhere to stay afterwards so ended up kipping in the buffet in Crewe railway station.

Yeah i was at that one as well, they did 2 consecutive nights that year, i luckily live only 40 miles from the venue, so it was only a 2 hour coach ride home.

I was there on the Saturday. It was the day of the FA Cup final. Ipswich beat Aresenal and I actually took a radio so I could listen to it. Of course back then, the FA Cup was important.

Same day as me then :biggrin: Sunday in '77 and Saturday in '78.
Oooh, you're a Cool Cat , Coming on strong with all the chit chat

Cool Cat
Don't Stop Me Now

See Me In The Shadows

Postby Roger On Fire » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:53 am

Rainbow '74, Earl's Court '77, Hammersmith '75 :mrgreen:

Roger On Fire
Spread Your Wings

Now to err is somethin' human and forgiving so divine

Postby Merovech » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I have seen only few, on telly, on video and on DVD, but the one I liked most was Hyde Park 1976.

Not sure if I had been born yet back then.

Merovech
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Houston '77
Japan '82

The fact that they are both professionally filmed may or may not be related to the reasons why picked those two.

And of course, the two QPR shows I've been to:

Budapest 2005
Vienna 2008

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am

It's a bit of a travesty that Hyde Park, Earl's Court and Houston remain in the archives. Saying that, Rainbow, Hammersmith 75 & 79, Both Japanese shows, Rio and Budapest should all have been officially released by now.

At some point they've GOT to get these shows out. They're just sat on a shelf somewhere degrading and gathering bloody dust.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:58 am

On the one hand I was glad that they released parts of Japan '82 on "Queen On Fire". But by the same token that probably means that the show in its entirety (which surely must exist in the archives) will remain unreleased. Bloody good that show! Almost as good as QOF, if not better.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby planetgurl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 am

Kes wrote:It's a bit of a travesty that Hyde Park, Earl's Court and Houston remain in the archives. Saying that, Rainbow, Hammersmith 75 & 79, Both Japanese shows, Rio and Budapest should all have been officially released by now.

At some point they've GOT to get these shows out. They're just sat on a shelf somewhere degrading and gathering bloody dust.

Kes, I agree - and what does the "hundreds of hours of footage" from the US tour in late '77, shot by the OGWT include? We've never had a breakdown of what that includes - interviews yes but there must also be live footage.

planetgurl
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Don't forget the US tour documentary...

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm

As I understand it, I heard a strong rumour that "someone" was recently "looking into" that OGWT stuff. "Looking into" does NOT mean it will get released, only that stuff that doesn't get "looked at" definiety doesn't get released.

Maybe we'll get to see something of it in the next couple of years, maybe not.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby devogue » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:08 pm

On video it has to be the Christmas Eve concert in 1975.

I went to the Tribute concert and then saw Queen+ PR in 2005.

I remember seing George Best play in a testimonial match in Belfast when he was 41 years old - even as a long past-it alcoholic he ran rings around all the great players of the day. He made world class professional defenders look like idiots. All I could do was try to imagine him in his prime at the age of 24 - I can totally understand why some people rate him as highly as Maradona and Pele.

I had exactly the same emotion when I enjoyed the Queen+ concert in 2005 - I remember thinking if Brian and Roger could be this extraordinarily good now, what must they have been like in their pomp with Freddie and John. It must have been truly magical to have seen Queen in the 70s and 80s.

devogue
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Kes wrote:As I understand it, I heard a strong rumour that "someone" was recently "looking into" that OGWT stuff. "Looking into" does NOT mean it will get released, only that stuff that doesn't get "looked at" definiety doesn't get released.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "OGWT"?

devogue wrote:It must have been truly magical to have seen Queen in the 70s and 80s.

Indeed. If I could be transported back in time to see one Queen gig from the 70s or 80s I would probably pick Houston '77. Rainbow '74 and Budapest '86 would be strong runners up.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby planetgurl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 pm

bigV wrote:
Kes wrote:As I understand it, I heard a strong rumour that "someone" was recently "looking into" that OGWT stuff. "Looking into" does NOT mean it will get released, only that stuff that doesn't get "looked at" definiety doesn't get released.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "OGWT"?

The Old Grey Whistle Test was a famous BBC programme hosted by "Whispering' Bob Harris. It ran on the BBC for many years: they shot the Hyde Park footage in 1976, when BH was compere for the day. He had the unenviable task of telling 150,000 people that the show was over after the police terminated the event early...
After this he and the BBC OGWT crew went on the 2nd leg of the US tour in late 1977 and shot all that footage, including a four hour interview with Fred and interviews with the others also. This must have included live footage but it's (apart from very short b/w interview clips) never seen the light of day. I definitely know that they accompanied them to Las Vegas...

Who is that 'someone' Kes?

planetgurl
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Someone who will remain to be an anonymous 'someone'.

Interesting about this footage is that I seem to recall an interview with Bob Harris where he said they were in a studio editing it all together, and in walked a couple of people in suits, with a letter, and they took all the footage away with them. I think I'm right in saying that no-one from QPL has ever mentioned anything about the occurrence. "Well, you never know. It might not have been QPL!" I hear you say, except that bits of it have surfaced on proper Queen releases, like John being interviewed in the back of a speeding car, and Freddie being interviewed on a settee with the gold discs on the wall, and bits of black and white interviews with Roger and Brian. Queen Productions have evidently got this footage, whether they acknowledge it or not.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Previous

Return to Live Killers