Queen in Peterborough

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Queen in Peterborough

Postby IanPeter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 pm

I am new to this forum and have come on here for the purpose of finding out about a Queen concert I went to many years ago, it was at Peterborough Technical College possibly in the spring of 1974 the support band was Pini.
There are local people who remember it and one or two that went that I have been able to track down, but there seems to be no official record of it. Can anyone shed any light on this in particular the date?

Ian

IanPeter
Spread Your Wings

Re: Queen in Peterborough

Postby BitterTears » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 pm

The closest thing I could find
http://www.queenconcerts.com/detail/liv ... gh-uk.html

Slightly earlier than you said, different support band and at a different venue.

Can't vouch for how accurate the site (or your memory!) is though.

edit: Here's another source that suggests they only ever did that one gig in Peterborough.
http://www.queenpedia.com/index.php?title=Gigography

The also have a section on support bands and (http://www.queenconcerts.com/support-bands.html) and Pini (Mick Pink?) aren't mentioned. Not to say it didn't happen, obviously they'll be omissions and stuff from 40+ years ago.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby IanPeter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, this gets ever more interesting. There is no doubt about it as it is not something I have plucked from my memory, its been something that I have been talking about to people for the past 40 years. Other people who were there have discussed it with me as well. i'm just so suprised that all the official channels seem to dismiss it as if it did not happen.
The main problem I think seems to be the way the gig was organised it was either a complete sellout at the time or there was some other reason as to why it was not well publicised I can remember a friend got me in or got me a ticket. There was something of a hint of secrecy or last minute organisation about it.
Could it have been a private function?
Could it be that they had to fulfill a contactual obligation?
Could it be a last minute change of venue?
One thing I do know that if was definitely Queen and Pini. I will have to try and contact some of the people who were there.

IanPeter
Spread Your Wings

Queen in Peterborough

Postby planetgurl » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Interesting reading...

planetgurl
Spread Your Wings

Postby Paul33 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Queen only played Peterborough once and that was at the Town Hall on 17th August 1973.

They definitely did not play a second date and they certainly never played at the Technical College.

Support bands at the Town Hall were "Pini" and "Savage Rose".

Paul33
Spread Your Wings

Postby Guru » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 am

Maybe instead of arguing about the date and location, OP could share their memories of the actual performance...?

There's a chance that some detail will support one date over another

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby Paul33 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:25 pm

The date has been verified from records in the city archives ( I checked them myself ) and from newspaper adverts in my possession. I have also spoken to members of the bands who supported Queen and to several people at the gig who were able to confirm the date.

I have also spoken personally to both the guy who booked all the live bands at the Technical College and to the guy who DJ'd and compered the shows and they confirm that Queen did not play at the Technical College.

Paul33
Spread Your Wings

Return to Live Killers