Live Aid..July 13, 1985

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Live Aid..July 13, 1985

Postby icy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Monday will mark 30 years since the day.
A great day for so many reasons...charity and music wise.
Anyone from here attend? If so, what were your thoughts on the day?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Re: Live Aid..July 13, 1985

Postby Kes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:08 pm

That one went well, Icy. :oops:

All I can say about Live Aid, was that the tickets went within about an hour of the gig being announced, and before anyone had even publicly said they were appearing. Naturally, you'd assume most people on the original record would be likely, but by the time Queen announced they'd be there, tickets were already switching hands at a humongous price.

Like most people, I watched it live on the TV, even was inspired to buy a video recorder (which we hadn't previously been flush enough to own) to make sure I captured the show.

I'll admit, even "I" was surprised, on the day, at how good the band sounded when put on a level playing field with the likes of Dire Straits, and U2.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Kes wrote:That one went well, Icy. :oops:

All I can say about Live Aid, was that the tickets went within about an hour of the gig being announced, and before anyone had even publicly said they were appearing. Naturally, you'd assume most people on the original record would be likely, but by the time Queen announced they'd be there, tickets were already switching hands at a humongous price.

Like most people, I watched it live on the TV, even was inspired to buy a video recorder (which we hadn't previously been flush enough to own) to make sure I captured the show.

I'll admit, even "I" was surprised, on the day, at how good the band sounded when put on a level playing field with the likes of Dire Straits, and U2.

dire straits and U2? those are never near the greatness of Queen. but what do i know 8-)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:28 pm

At the time Live Aid happened, the only people who'd ever seen Queen live, were people who'd either actually been to a Queen concert, or happened to chance across one of their two live videocassettes, which weren't exactly common back then.

I'd go as far as to say, that in the UK, the number of people who had seen Queen perform live, probably tripled or even quadrupled, in the twenty or so minutes they were on the Wembley stage on the 13th July 1985.

Probably the reason they were a revelation. Hardly anyone knew they were quite THAT good.

Well, they certainly did when the newspapers came out the next day.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby action » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Kes wrote:At the time Live Aid happened, the only people who'd ever seen Queen live, were people who'd either actually been to a Queen concert, or happened to chance across one of their two live videocassettes, which weren't exactly common back then.

I'd go as far as to say, that in the UK, the number of people who had seen Queen perform live, probably tripled or even quadrupled, between 5-6 pm on the 13th July 1985.

same goes for other bands in that time period, no?

were dire straits and U2 really more in the public consciense than Queen in 1985? were DS and U2 the "bands to beat"? i find that extremely hard to imagine.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:42 pm

It was pretty much a level playing field.

One reason why Queen were on at tea time, was because when they drew up the running order, bands perceived as "bigger" draws, were placed later.

One reason why Dire Straits were placed where they were, was that they were preparing to do a gig at Wembley Arena, right next door, straight after they finished their set.

I think most people knew those three bands were the ones to watch, who weren't in the prime time portion of the concert.

Don't forget that when Queen went on, it was something like about 10 or 11 o'clock in the morning on the Western seaboard of the USA. So being on later than that, got you a bigger audience in Europe, AND America.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 pm

action wrote:
were dire straits and U2 really more in the public consciense than Queen in 1985? were DS and U2 the "bands to beat"? i find that extremely hard to imagine.

U2 was pretty damn huge at that time, I just looked it up, their last two albums before that were both no.1 in the UK. Dire Straits had released Brothers in Arms just before that, which was in the process of topping the charts everywhere in the known world apparently.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby JLP » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:28 pm

I remember a coach firm in sunny Hell running a trip to Live Aid. To this day, I wish I had bought a ticket although most of the stuff on the afternoon was pretty average. I just didn't fancy going on my own.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Simon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:44 pm

I did not know this before, but there is a very interesting documentary about that. It's free on Youtube. I learned quite a lot about that day.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby davy h » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:28 pm

I was at live aid, queen really brought the place to life, no question thee best band on the day....best song of the day I think was heroes by bowie

davy h
Spread Your Wings

Postby davy h » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 pm

pity they didn't perform under pressure with bowie

davy h
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Probably about the only real chance they ever had to do it live together, either they never thought about it, or they didn't think it very apt.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Simon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Indeed very curious. I think Brian did comment on this and the answer was that it wasn't to be. So he indicated that it certainly was no concious decision never to do it.
Incidentally, when I was watching a Bowie concert I felt it quite odd that when he played Under Pressure it came across that it was 'his' song. Totally fair of course as it is both Queen and Bowie, but having listened and watched Queen perform it so many times it really felt odd.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Simon » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Also, RE Live Aid: I thought it was quite amazing that Paul McCartney was weary performing as this was his very first time after John Lennon was murdered.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Simon wrote:Indeed very curious. I think Brian did comment on this and the answer was that it wasn't to be. So he indicated that it certainly was no concious decision never to do it.
Incidentally, when I was watching a Bowie concert I felt it quite odd that when he played Under Pressure it came across that it was 'his' song. Totally fair of course as it is both Queen and Bowie, but having listened and watched Queen perform it so many times it really felt odd.

Bowie rarely mentioned UP before the FM Tribute Concert. He wasn't particularly complimentary about it when he did [no I don't have any links, just from memory - may even be quoted in Nick Pegg or David Buckley's book]. He never performed it at one of his own shows or ever included it on one of his own compilations, previous to that night.
Something must have clicked as it was played at almost every Bowie tour between 1995 - 2004. Gail Ann Dorsey may have suggested it to Bowie at some point; she is a huge Queen fan after all. Maybe, maybe not.

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Live Killers