Queen - Live At Knebworth 1986 CD (Live Magic)

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Queen - Live At Knebworth 1986 CD (Live Magic)

Postby TheHero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Yes, did you know ?
Live Magic is about 75 % Live At Knebworth 1986.

It is incredible how anonymous that album has been, overshadowed by Live At Wembley.
After all, Knebworth was their final concert, and one of their biggest in the history!
The sound is also good.

I notice that Live Magic is not in their catalogue anymore, even Live Killers is on Spotify, but no Live Magic.

Official attendance was listed as 160,000, unofficial 240,000.

By the way, it has the best artwork of the 1980s live CDs. At least I have always liked the cover design.

Inner sleeve of the CD/LP:

LIVE MAGIC:

Side 1
"One Vision" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK 09/08/86) - (Queen) – 5:09
"Tie Your Mother Down" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (May) – 2:59
"Seven Seas of Rhye" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Mercury) – 1:21
"A Kind of Magic (Edit)" (Népstadion, Budapest, Hungary) - 27/07/86 (Taylor) – 4:47
"Under Pressure" (Népstadion, Budapest, Hungary) - 27/07/86) (Queen, Bowie) – 3:49
"Another One Bites the Dust (Edit)" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Deacon) – 5:51

Side 2
"I Want to Break Free" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Deacon) – 2:40
"Is This the World We Created...?" (Wembley Stadium, London, England, UK) - 11/07/86 (Mercury/May)–1:30
"Bohemian Rhapsody (Edit)" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Mercury) – 4:42
"Hammer to Fall (Edit)" (Wembley Stadium, London, England, UK) - 12/07/86 (May) – 4:22
"Radio Ga Ga" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Edit) (Taylor) – 4:27
"We Will Rock You" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (May) – 1:33
"Friends Will Be Friends" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Mercury/Deacon) – 1:09
"We Are the Champions" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86)) (Mercury) – 2:01
"God Save the Queen" (Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England, UK - 09/08/86) (Trad. arr. May) – 1:19

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Queen - Live At Knebworth 1986 CD (Live Magic)

Postby Simon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 pm

Heavily edited, i.e. cut. I don't think the band was very fond of this in the first place. But I guess they wanted to make some money directly after the probably most successful tour of the band. Why oh why didn't they release a double LP to avoid the weird edits. Probably because double lps weren't fashionable in those days (anyone remember?)
But, yeah, you got something there. I forgot how many Knebworth tracks were on there. Gladly, I bought the new record player... I don't own the CD but an old vinyl that I stole from my brother... I'll give it a spin now.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Nice. I have got the CD, and will listen to it again now, for the first time in many years.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:37 pm

- Quite impressive to hear 160.000+ people singing the choruses on Another One Bites The Dust! :o
And then afterwards, Freddie saying, looking at the big crowd in Knebworth.:

This is an enooorrmous place... it looks beautiful from up here, it's frightening..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:44 pm

The operatic section was cut off Bohemian Rhapsody.
I wonder if the complete version will see the light of day ? I suppose they have the master tapes.

Do I see the possibility of a new release ?

A complete concert : Queen Final Live At Knebworth .. with bonus material ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:47 pm

And again, hearing that massive crowd singing We Will Rock You.. chills. :o

We Are The Champions - Live At Knebworth .. nice to hear it again after all these years.
The very last time Freddie sang it.

God Save The Queen - I have never heard a Queen audience sing it that loud before. Wow.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 pm

You should have been there, then.

I remember as they played the intro to One Vision, I looked round behind me, and literally all I could see was people, people, a d even more people, stretching as far as the eye could see. Then there was that roar as the band came on the stage. I still get goosebumps every time I hear that.

A couple of years back, the fan club held a "get together" there, and where we were sat, would have been about the back of the audience on"that" day. People went for twenty minute strolls to where the stage would have been! It seemed like about 3/4 of a mile.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:09 pm

As regards a proper release of Knebworth, I think the idea might have been kicking around, to bounce it off the planned Sonisphere gig last year, but as the gig got cancelled, so did everything else.

Still, as it's the thirty year anniversary next August, who knows?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 pm

There you go!

If you're one of these people who REALLY, REALLY wants an "audio only" release, then this might just be your chicken! :lookround:

Can't see them cobbling together an accompanying DVD or BD for that one! Errr... Unless you like 8-minute DVDs.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Kes wrote:There you go!

If you're one of these people who REALLY, REALLY wants an "audio only" release, then this might just be your chicken! :lookround:

Can't see them cobbling together an accompanying DVD or BD for that one! Errr... Unless you like 8-minute DVDs.

Maybe a deluxe CD edition, with an accompanying DVD including what exists of footage from Knebworth, interviews, rehearsals, or other unseen footage from their last tour.

Or.. maybe they could release the Hyde Park 1976 concert (which was 10 years before, and bring their two big concerts together, with the bonus DVD including Knebworth 1986 footage).

Or separately, Hyde Park on DVD, LP and CD, and then Knebworth on CD and LP only.

I am thinking maybe there is a reason they haven't done any 2nd press of Live Magic? Perhaps they intend to release the whole concert when Live Magic is forgotten about by Joe Public ? I know they were criticised for editing the songs on Live Magic and also Live Killers, but still, apart from the shortened BohRhap on Live Magic, those albums rank as 2 of my favourite audio Queen concerts. The Live Magic LP is in itself a beauty when it comes to sleeve design.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Live Killers