Live releases standing the test of time?

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Live releases standing the test of time?

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 am

In my opinion, Live At Wembley -86 hasn't stood the test of time as well as other Queen live releases.
The picture quality, sound and screen format isn't as good as it used to be. Compared to today's technology and live shows filmed in HD, the DVD fails to impress me as it used to do.

But, that said, Hungarian Rhapsody Blu-ray, Rock Montreal and Live At The Rainbow are all excellent, especially the first two! Maybe Hungarian Rhapsody should over-take the role as the optimal Queen concert, in terms of pure quality and audience involvement?

Your opinions ?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Live releases standing the test of time?

Postby BitterTears » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 am

I definitely prefer Budapest to Wembley. I think playing Wembley is kind of seen as the pinnacle of success for a British band so Queen'a shows there will always be more iconic (and get more releases) than any other show. Not like the Wembley shows are bad though by any means. But certainly the footage is nowhere near as good as Budapest.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pingu » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Apart from Live Aid, Wembley's always going to be the default 'Queen concert' (for the general public) IMO.

Filmed in the UK
Final Tour
In a stadium.

Budapest and Montreal are great but for my money perhaps lack something in capturing the event. Apart from some construction shots in Budapest you don't get much sense of the stadium during the gig. With Wembley you feel like you're really there, in terms of the scale of the place, and the fact it kicks off in bright daylight, with a LOT of wide shots of the crowd and the stage from the sides and back of the stadium, plus some filming from up in the lighting rig itself.

I agree the picture quality is limited but video still feels more 'live' to me than film, like it's happening as you watch.

Also re the sound mix.. the crowd participation at Wembley is much more involved than the other 3. You can barely hear the crowd at Budapest.

I know people dislike Wembley but for me it's Queen at their height and for the above reasons it still feels as close to 'being there' as you can get..

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:09 pm

At The Bowl. I think that one stands the test of time out of all of them.
Last edited by icy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:30 pm

phpBB [video]

In my opinion, the lighting rig and it's colors doesn't really get what it deserves at Wembley, and that is another reason that I prefer the Budapest gig. The rig shines in all it's glory (see video above). So for picture quality, sound and lighting, Budapest wins. The Nepstadion concert also had a larger crowd of the two, according to http://www.queenconcerts.com : 80.000 people. While each of the Wembley concerts had 72.000 people. So if it wasn't for the name "Wembley" and "London", I think the Budapest gig outruns the Wembley concert at most levels, at least in terms of the visual and audiophile concerns. I can't stand the guitar sound at Wembley either. Honestly I also prefer the stage build-up process filmed at the Nepstadion, and the little video clips with the band arriving by Hydrofoil etc. You get a better perspective of what the band were at the time, and it is a warmer and more personal atmosphere than the colder Wembley concert, especially with the with the Hungarian folk song in the acoustic set. A nice touch.

The Live In Budapest concert was overlooked, and a big part of the reason of course; only available on VHS.
After many, many years unavailable to buy, it was not on the market until it was re-released in 2012! :shock:
Not to be forgotten: It was one the most groundbreaking moments in their touring career to play a concert in Hungary.

That is why I think this show has to be rediscovered not only by fans, but also Joe Public, who most probably have only heard of the famous Wembley gig.

One thing is for sure, The Budapest gig has stood the test of time a lot better than the Wembley concert.

In terms of song setlist and performance, I prefer the older shows like Live At The Rainbow and Live At The Bowl. These are both great shows, but if I had to choose ONE to represent Queen, I end up with the Budapest gig.
Last edited by TheHero on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby dazh » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:30 pm

When I watch Wembley always watch the Friday show I really like that one . I think Rock Montreal has always stood out to me in terms of picture and sound.

dazh
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:20 pm

dazh wrote:When I watch Wembley always watch the Friday show I really like that one . I think Rock Montreal has always stood out to me in terms of picture and sound.

Yes, Friday show is great. Freddie is in top form. He says a lot of funny comments about the rain.

In the acoustic section: "That **cking rain (looks at Brian May).. I could just die"... - Then he laughs.

Before Bohemian Rhapsody he says: "Is everybody nice and wet? It's the only way to be in England".

At the end of the concert: "Thanks for putting up with the rain, and for putting up with us".

Montreal is the one for the early 80s Queen. Superb live release! If it wasn't for Hungarian Rhapsody, I would say this is the best recording of a Queen concert ever.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Live Killers