FM Tribute Concert - Blu-ray (2013)

Talk about Queen's live performances.

Re: FM Tribute Concert - Blu-ray (2013)

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Kes wrote:On the day, low spots for me, were Spinal Tap, Bob Geldof (what the fuck was that co-writing this song with Freddie bollocks all about?), and the satellite link up with U2, which to add insult to injury, wasn't even live, but taped earlier in the day, not that anyone in the stadium took any notice of it anyway. We were all doing "Mexican waves" at the time.

A curious high spot happened before we even got in the place, when they were sound checking bits of Somebody To Love and We Are The Champions.

Question...what time did you get to the stadium to be able to hear the sound checks you mention?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby hotspace1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:44 pm

The book as mentioned was a nice photo- book of the event, i was a little bit disappointed by it if i recall as i thought it could have had more pages with greater text, as i was expecting a thicker coffee table type book when i first heard they were doing it and what we got was a slim paperback book. I think proceeds went to MPT so probably why it was kept to a reasonable production and price. Nice keepsake but could have been better given the the artists on display and the number of photos taken as the event naturally had loads of press coverage at the time.

I remember arriving early but not sure what time the sound check was.

For any Queen fan at the time it was the 'Must Have ' ticket to be able to say farewell, plenty of panic over getting tickets as far as i remember. Just glad i was one of the lucky ones.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm shocked I have never heard about the book before reading your post. How soon after the concert was it released or was it given out to every one who attended?
Not to sound bad, but I will never bore of hearing about the concert. Wembley was the perfect place for it, and the audience added so much to it.
I said this before to others who attended the show, but thanks for being a part of the day.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 pm

icy wrote:Question...what time did you get to the stadium to be able to hear the sound checks you mention?

We got there about four o'clock in the morning, as I remember it. It was still dark, let's put it that way. Even so, we were still at the base of the steps into our entrance, and there were a LOT of steps! All the honest people queued behind us, the dishonest ones went up the grass to the side of us, consequently, someone I know who came in the same gate as us, wound up at the front of the stage, and they didn't even get there until midday! We wound up about fifteen feet in front of the mixing desk.

The sound checks were about an hour and a half before the gates opened, and I think that was at four in the afternoon, if I remember correctly. Twenty six years ago now. Lot of water's gone under the bridge since then.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Kes wrote:
icy wrote:Question...what time did you get to the stadium to be able to hear the sound checks you mention?

We got there about four o'clock in the morning, as I remember it. It was still dark, let's put it that way. Even so, we were still at the base of the steps into our entrance, and there were a LOT of steps! All the honest people queued behind us, the dishonest ones went up the grass to the side of us, consequently, someone I know who came in the same gate as us, wound up at the front of the stage, and they didn't even get there until midday! We wound up about fifteen feet in front of the mixing desk.

The sound checks were about an hour and a half before the gates opened, and I think that was at four in the afternoon, if I remember correctly.

I love these tidbits from the people who attended. Thanks for answering. Another question considering where you were...what was the sound like from that vantage point?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby TheHero » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 pm

A shame they had time for Spinal Tap, and not Chris Thompson. Chris did backing vocals and percussion instruments. But I would love to see him do lead
vocals on a Queen song. Brian thanked him at the very end of the concert though, commenting he did lots for nothing.. . He might have been an organizer for the backing vocalists, I don't know

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby hotspace1966 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 am

I think the book came out a year or so after, can't remember exactly, it wasn't a hand out on the day. I think proceeds may have gone to the MPT. If you google it i am sure it will show some images, not sure how easy it would be to get hold of now.

We were also waiting up the steps very early, it was always a problem with Wembley as general admission allowed access onto the pitch and into the stands ( seated areas ) so if you were quick and early you could in theory get to the front of stage or get a good seat. The grass area at the side of the steps was always a problem allowing less honest people to push in front.
I also remember that another problem we encountered was which gate they decided to open first as they never opened at the same time, you could hear and see the gate next to you moving forward but your own entrance gate was closed...very frustrating if you had arrived early as it all boiled down to pot luck.
Saw numerous bands at the stadium and this happened every time, could not relax until you had secured the position you wanted to view the concert from. Early years was always the pitch or as close to the stage as possible as i got older i liked my own space and opted for the best seat i could.

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby WeeMann » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

I didn't arrive until after the soundcheck (at least, I don't remember hearing it) and was alongside and just in front of the desk for the first half (we sat down for the second half).

Another time I saw Guns 'n' Roses there and made it right to the front barrier. We ended up going over the barrier and out to the side after a couple of songs as a friend of ours had a broken arm and was getting crushed. As soon as we were out of sight of the stage Brian joined them for a couple of songs...
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Kes » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 am

phpBB [video]

Chris Thompson singing a Queen song.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby eiricd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:38 am

Kes wrote:
phpBB [video]

remember being in awe of this version when this was released.

Easily way up there among good Queen covers.

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Pingu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 am

Kes wrote:

The sound checks were about an hour and a half before the gates opened, and I think that was at four in the afternoon, if I remember correctly. Twenty six years ago now. Lot of water's gone under the bridge since then.

Four in the MORNING??!!

I got there 10-11AM and also initially made it onto the steps. Just to echo what others have said, and from friends who attended, there was no system or reason to it, you could get there mid afternoon and just jump the queue of maybe 1000 people, or get there at dawn only for your gate to open last. What happened to us was we went hunting for Pizza and programmes early on and returned to find it suddenly crowded and so we waited on the grass. I swear our gate opened last, it was closed until about 4.20 or later and the stadium floor was at least 1/3 full when we got in. Also I remember the crush when the gates opened, like a tsunami of bodies, and being literally carried over the handrails by the movement of people. Scary. Luckily I'd stuffed my programme down my trousers as I was scared of losing it, and to this day it's the shape of my (much skinnier, alas) 19 year old waist. :P

Yeah a lot of water's gone under a lot of bridges. But for me it's still one of the most vivid memories of my life. I even remember odd details like that Benny Hill and Frankie Howerd had died and it was in all the papers that morning, and all the impromptu singalongs outside the stadium.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 am

Oh and if anyone's into Metallica (or not) there's some great footage of them rehearsing and prepping for the tribute backstage, plus their thoughts before and after they went on. (Hetfield - "I think they just wanted to hear Queen songs!") I'll post the vid at some point. Sorry if this is off topic btw, 'tis a subject dear to my heart.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm

I remember joining in on about a dozen or so renditions of Monty Python's Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life.

Yeah, the crowd surges were quite scary. You'd be laying down on the covered Wembley turf, and suddenly hear a growing murmuring, this was time to get to your feet, because in about ten seconds you're about to get trampled on, by the stampede.

Every time this happened, you'd get about fifteen foot nearer the stage, and the crowd got packed in that little bit tighter. I had my kids with me, aged about 11, and 7, respectively, and on the next to last occasion this happened, before Metallica came on, my-then wife decided it wasn't a place for little kiddies, and took them off to the stands up the side. I didn't see them again until well after the show.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Kes wrote:
phpBB [video]

I like that :shock: . Wish he had the chance to sing a full song at the Tribute. Not SMGO, because I feel no one could have sang that instead of EJ.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Except maybe the bloke who sang it on the album that it first appeared on. :shock:

EVERY version I've heard since then, doesn't even come close.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to Live Killers