FM Tribute Concert - Blu-ray (2013)

Talk about Queen's live performances.

FM Tribute Concert - Blu-ray (2013)

Postby TheHero » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 pm

Believe it or not, but I had my first listen today.
I already had the DVD, so I waited until now to get this Blu-ray which also includes the opening acts.

To my big surprise, both the picture quality and the sound was way better than I had dreamed of. The opening acts, which I had never seen before, was in daylight, and crystal sharp compared to Wembley 86 or Milton Keynes 82. And on top of that, I think all the opening acts did a perfect job. Metallica was a great opener!

I can recommend this to anyone who hasn't got hold of the Blu-ray yet. It has stood the test of time (even compared with today's standards), and gives a great insight into the leading acts of the early 90s.

Forget the grainy YouTube videos. The Blu-ray is much better, and how it should be watched.

John Deacon seems to be enjoying himself, but not jumping around happily, instead more calm than he was at Wembley 86, and plays with confidence as always. Amazing concert.

By the way;

I think the old VHS had the opening acts included as well ?

I haven't checked but I also think I remember that the first DVD had worse picture quality than this Blu-ray.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: FM Tribute Concert - Blu-ray (2013)

Postby icy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 pm

It's the number one thing on my Queen wish list that I have not been able to get as of yet. Reading your post about it makes me want it even more.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby TheHero » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm

icy wrote:It's the number one thing on my Queen wish list that I have not been able to get as of yet. Reading your post about it makes me want it even more.

It is THE version to own, the best quality and with the opening acts, the most complete. It is also the first time I watched the documentary from 2002, which is very well made. Mixed with interviews, rehearsals and live clips.

It also comes with a great designed 22 pages booklet. The blue color looks great with Blu-ray cover.

Lisa Stansfield does what probably is the best version of These Are The Days, that I have ever heard. The highlights are too many to mention. Very special to watch Bowie and Lennox perform Under Pressure, now that Bowie has left too. Their complete rehearsal is part of the extras. Magic.

The rehearsal clips are also sharp, not grainy as i suspected from watching YouTube clips.

Most exciting for me, was to see the opening acts,
for the first time. :-)

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 am

I got the corresponding DVD release rather than the Blu-ray, mostly so I could rip the audio to some CDs.

Still think it's a shame they didn't take the opportunity to reinstate more of the opening acts. The continued butchering of the Def Leppard and Extreme sets in particular seems really odd.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

TheHero wrote:
icy wrote:It's the number one thing on my Queen wish list that I have not been able to get as of yet. Reading your post about it makes me want it even more.

It is THE version to own, the best quality and with the opening acts, the most complete. It is also the first time I watched the documentary from 2002, which is very well made. Mixed with interviews, rehearsals and live clips.

It also comes with a great designed 22 pages booklet. The blue color looks great with Blu-ray cover.

Lisa Stansfield does what probably is the best version of These Are The Days, that I have ever heard. The highlights are too many to mention. Very special to watch Bowie and Lennox perform Under Pressure, now that Bowie has left too. Their complete rehearsal is part of the extras. Magic.

The rehearsal clips are also sharp, not grainy as i suspected from watching YouTube clips.

Most exciting for me, was to see the opening acts,
for the first time. :-)

Lisa Stansfeild ad George Michael were great on the day. It's a bit of a shame DOOL gets overlooked by STL.
What a concert though. I've never seen anything remotely close to it before or since. It's incredible that all those artists came together for Freddie, Brian, Roger and John and to raise awareness. Almost everyone on the day put their all into it, except for one act, IMO.
An unforgettable day. It still shocks me I used to be in contact with people from here who were there in the audience. The audience was just as important as the music itself, wow, I have never see any audience be in sync before. And that's just from watching it on TV, video and the 2002 DVD.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby hotspace1966 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm

It was a very emotional day, but i was determined to enjoy the show as a celebration of his life. I went with a lot of friends who were truly overcome by the whole day.
I remember the atmosphere being fantastic and the crowd were great, very respectful...and loud.
We managed to get a great view just by the side of the old royal box, everyone around us was really up for it and on their feet the whole time.
Like you said a concert such as this with these type of acts will never be seen again. It was better than Live Aid in my opinion.
What i remember most was a thundering performance from Roger and even now when i watch the show back or catch repeats i look especially at the effort Roger put in from start to finish.
Other non Queen highlights were Extreme, Metallica and Robert Plant. I was told after the event by someone who was fortunate enough to be back stage that he got passed the wrong mic when performing Innuendo, not sure if that is correct or not but always thought he got a bit of a raw deal after.
Roger Daltrey was excellent as well, these are in addition to the obvious rendition of STL by George Michael which was magnificent.
Lots of great memories and i consider myself to be very fortunate to have been able to see it live on the day.
A fitting farewell to one of the worlds greatest ever front-man and singer.
It was a bitch to get out of the car park after...lol bloody Wembley

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 pm

I watched the documentary that comes with it as
extras. Spike Edney says something like: Queen started these kind of shows at Wembley 1985, and they ended it with this one right here. And Robert Plant said something like: Live Aid was great, but this show is more relevant, as it is not just for the people in Etiopia, but for an illness that affects us all, in our own countries.

I also think Axl Rose did a phenomenal job at Bohemian Rhapsody and WWRY. Guns 'N Roses performed as opening acts.

Bob Geldof says he wrote the song Too Late God together with Freddie. I don't know if it is true, but that is what he said. Roger Taylor welcomes Geldof to the stage with some funny comments about his suit.

Maybe not everyone knows this, but George Michael got the message that his partner had got the same illness as Freddie.. Nobody else knew it at the time. And he got this message only days before the concert, so he was literally in shock when performing. He told the audience that he had just read reports saying: "14 million people will have HIV in the year 2000". How the numbers were in 2000, I don't know.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:09 pm

hotspace1966 wrote:It was a very emotional day, but i was determined to enjoy the show as a celebration of his life. I went with a lot of friends who were truly overcome by the whole day.
I remember the atmosphere being fantastic and the crowd were great, very respectful...and loud.
We managed to get a great view just by the side of the old royal box, everyone around us was really up for it and on their feet the whole time.
Like you said a concert such as this with these type of acts will never be seen again. It was better than Live Aid in my opinion.
What i remember most was a thundering performance from Roger and even now when i watch the show back or catch repeats i look especially at the effort Roger put in from start to finish.
Other non Queen highlights were Extreme, Metallica and Robert Plant. I was told after the event by someone who was fortunate enough to be back stage that he got passed the wrong mic when performing Innuendo, not sure if that is correct or not but always thought he got a bit of a raw deal after.
Roger Daltrey was excellent as well, these are in addition to the obvious rendition of STL by George Michael which was magnificent.
Lots of great memories and i consider myself to be very fortunate to have been able to see it live on the day.
A fitting farewell to one of the worlds greatest ever front-man and singer.
It was a bitch to get out of the car park after...lol bloody Wembley

Not ALL the audience were respectful. Liz Taylor got a bit of abuse, as I remember it.

Shame about the fuck up with Spinal Tap, as well, as that cost us at least one song in the Queen set (A Kind Of Magic).
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby hotspace1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 am

To be honest i can't remember too much Liz bashing from where we were sat, but i am older now and some events are a little fuzzy in the memory bank.
Spinal Tap was unfortunate never really cared for them myself and think i may have taken a bathroom and hot dog break at that point...lol
Think i have the original VHS version tucked away somewhere. Can't believe how time flies...

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am

hotspace1966 wrote:To be honest i can't remember too much Liz bashing from where we were sat, but i am older now and some events are a little fuzzy in the memory bank.
Spinal Tap was unfortunate never really cared for them myself and think i may have taken a bathroom and hot dog break at that point...lol
Think i have the original VHS version tucked away somewhere. Can't believe how time flies...

I think someone in the audience shouted something at Elizabeth Taylor, not quite sure what was said, but classy lady to carry on the way she did. Loved her speech and her cousin comeback.
Spinal Tap...I still don't know why they were even there, maybe to plug the new single they had at the time. I still feel like they took the piss out of what the event was for. They came across as tacky and crass, even during the interview with Erica Ehm from Much Music.
I wore my VHS copies out, I had recorded from the TV and then I purchased the double video. Then with that Five Live...
Bittersweet moments for sure. I watched the tribute last time on November 24th...I got a bit emotional at the Bowie and George Michael parts.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby hotspace1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:25 am

It seems to come up on repeats a fair bit on Sky, normally when i am flicking the channels and come across it i say to myself i will watch 1 song for the memory and always end up watching the rest of the concert. Like i mentioned i just love watching Roger smash it on the kit during every song.
I also have the book they released a year or so after somewhere as well.
Kind of agree with your comments regarding Spinal Tap a bit of a low in events, also seem to remember a taped message from U2 that was not really clear from where i was sitting ( or did i dream that ??? ) no idea what was said ?

hotspace1966
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:40 am

hotspace1966 wrote:It seems to come up on repeats a fair bit on Sky, normally when i am flicking the channels and come across it i say to myself i will watch 1 song for the memory and always end up watching the rest of the concert. Like i mentioned i just love watching Roger smash it on the kit during every song.
I also have the book they released a year or so after somewhere as well.
Kind of agree with your comments regarding Spinal Tap a bit of a low in events, also seem to remember a taped message from U2 that was not really clear from where i was sitting ( or did i dream that ??? ) no idea what was said ?

It hasn't been repeated here in Canada since 1993, and that was heavily edited.
Wait a second...I've never heard of a book about it before. Tell me more, please.
Brian, John and Roger gave it their all. Those expressions on John's face at times...even now my heart goes out to him.
Spinal Tap was and remains the most baffling part for me. Maybe someone thought a bit of humor would have helped, and maybe it would have, but not how Spinal Tap did it. It wasn't funny, endearing, or all that good, IMO. I can honestly say with a bit of regret, I wish they weren't a part of it at all.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Pingu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 am

Memories :)

There was a nice book of photographs with some quotes from the guest artists throughout.

Re the dvd/vhs my main issue apart from the missing songs is the way the crowd noise is faked. There are big false 'cheers' inserted all over the place which didn't happen in reality. I know it's daft but it really bugs me.

Also some of the artists completely overdubbed their vocal - Roger Daltrey (for no apparent reason as he was great) and Gary Cherone. I don't mind that they tidied up the other (instrumental) mistakes.

It's a bit like Live Aid in that there were some stand outs and some howlers, but the spirit of the day and the cause were what mattered in the end (that and saying goodbye to Freddie).

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am

Is the dvd really poor then compared to the blu ray? I don't own either but that's good to know.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:01 pm

On the day, low spots for me, were Spinal Tap, Bob Geldof (what the fuck was that co-writing this song with Freddie bollocks all about?), and the satellite link up with U2, which to add insult to injury, wasn't even live, but taped earlier in the day, not that anyone in the stadium took any notice of it anyway. We were all doing "Mexican waves" at the time.

A curious high spot happened before we even got in the place, when they were sound checking bits of Somebody To Love and We Are The Champions.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Live Killers