"Reaching Out" Studio Version

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

"Reaching Out" Studio Version

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Until very recently, I never realised they did a studio version of "Reaching Out". I actually really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0zXvTThbg
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Re: "Reaching Out" Studio Version

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm

They didn't - it's the charity single from 1996:

phpBB [video]
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Therapy

Wikipedia wrote:Rock Therapy was a 1996 one-off project consisting of Queen guitarist Brian May, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, plus a number of guest vocalists including Sam Brown, Andy Fairweather-Low, Paul Rodgers and Lulu. This was a 3-track charity CD issued in aid of the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Centre, which helps special needs children to communicate through the medium of music.

The song "Reaching Out" peaked at number 126 on the UK charts.[1] Queen + Paul Rodgers performed the song live during their 2005–2006 tour, and released four recordings: one on their 2005 double live album, Return of the Champions,[2] one on the single "Reaching Out/Tie Your Mother Down",[3] and two as download-only tracks.[4] The live version was sampled in 2009 by Eminem for the track "Beautiful" from his album Relapse.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby BitterTears » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm

It makes perfect sense they did but I still find it weird that busted it out on the first tour. Never expected it beforehand.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

WeeMann wrote:They didn't - it's the charity single from 1996:

Yeah, I was actually aware - I didn't upload the video that credits it to Queen + Paul Rodgers.

Point being, I didn't know a studio version of it had ever been done. I thought the live version on the 2005 tour was the only time it had ever been played.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm

That's probably because it wasn't a massive hit.

Not many people know that Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover. Marc Bolan's girlfriend Gloria Jones had a minor hit with it in America. The fact that it had been a hit elsewhere seems to surprise people, but I'm not sure if anyone's at fault for that, or on the other hand, that it's particularly a revelation.

Obviously, someone in the band saw Reaching Out as a poignant opener, that the three of them shared in common, so stuck it in there.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Return to Dear Friends