Queen + David Bowie

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Queen + David Bowie

Postby TheWhisperer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Under Pressure, Cool Cat, Heroes, All the Young Dudes: Bowie's brushes with Queen.

I'm a Bowie FANATIC. Let's discuss him eh? Oh, how I love that man. :D

TheWhisperer

Re: Queen + David Bowie

Postby ice on fire » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:08 am

Yep, Bowie is one of the legends. I am just waiting (a tad impatiently)to see if he will record/tour again. I'm hoping he will!

ice on fire

Postby TheWhisperer » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm

There have been a few interesting things to come out of the Bowie camp - She Can Do That was a great track... but we need more. If you fancy a good laugh, type Bowie Rove on YouTube - Two very fun interviews there from the
Reality Tour.

I remember somebody on the forums here said that after hearing an acapella version of Under Pressure, they were thinking about getting some Bowie records...if you're out there (sorry I can't remember who said it!) try Scary Monsters, from around the same time as Under Pressure, or Black Tie White Noise from the Freddie tribute concert era. He's in fine fine voice there, and was widely regarded as Bowie's return to form after the poor 80's period and Tin Machine's alt' rock...

TheWhisperer

Postby ice on fire » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:28 pm

I quite like his 80's works, and with Tin Machine it was great to hear him work with a band. I wish they had stuck it out just a tad longer. One thing I admire about David is his music with others from Lennon to Renzor. One reason I would like to see him return is who he might work with next.

ice on fire

Postby Simon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 pm

Didn't he state a couple of months ago that he is no longer interested in music? Somehting along those lines anyway.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby ice on fire » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 pm

I don't know, but if so what a loss :-( .

ice on fire

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:12 am

Unfortunately i dont think that he'll ever tour on account of his heart attack that he had a few years ago.

I loved a lot of his 70's stuff and saw Scary Monsters as something of a return to form.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby ice on fire » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:03 am

That is something else I did not know, about his heart attack. Do you like his 80s music? I do.

ice on fire

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am

ice on fire wrote:That is something else I did not know, about his heart attack. Do you like his 80s music? I do.

Yea Lilli.

I like some of his 80's stuff.But its more the 70's stuff that i like.Or even late 60's stuff tooAlthough in songs that he did in that period were a little on the controversial side.Cygnet Commitee for example,from the Space Oddity album
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:34 am

"Heroes" was so perfect at the Freddie Tribute. I find myself wishing Queen had written that song.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby The_Whisperer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:11 am

Outside, Earthling, Hours, Heathen and Reality are all AMAZING. Earthling must be heard to be believed. If you've never hear it, brace yourself!!!

The_Whisperer
Spread Your Wings

Postby DBMethos » Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 pm

This thread needs more posts! Bowie is my all-time favorite artist, just narrowly edging out Queen (hope I'm not crucified for that one!). I've found something to like/love about each of his career phases (yes, even the Deram stuff, Tonight/NLMD, and Tin Machine). Shame we haven't gotten anything "new" from him in 8 years (though the leaked "Toy" album was much better than I thought it was going to be), but he's certainly earned his retirement if that's indeed what's happened.

Just for kicks, here's my Bowie top 10:
1. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
2. Station to Station
3. Low
4. Diamond Dogs
5. Hunky Dory
6. Aladdin Sane
7. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
8. Young Americans
9. EART HL I NG
10. "Heroes"
I am Immortal...I have inside me blood of kings
I have no rival...no man can be my equal
Take me to the future of your world

DBMethos
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 pm

I sometimes go on a bit of a Bowie binge, and it's about time I did so again. My first Bowie was 'Changesone' which I grew up with, and still containing many of my all-time fave songs from anyone. Later on the first of his I actually bought was- brace yourselves- Tin Machine. Very rough and hard to listen to in many ways but still vibrant and unusual, if a little indulgent in places. Later on I even got to see him tour with Tin Machine in late 91.
As for with Queen, 'Under Pressure' actually underwhelmed me at first(!) but grew and grew on me, and is now in my top 5, or even top 2 Queen songs. I was also made up to see him at the Tribute doing his own stuff.. I actually enjoy all eras Bowie, even the maligned 80s stuff (cos I grew up hearing it) but I am particularly fond of the 'Hunky Dory' era. Away from the obvious stuff, I strongly recommend people to try 'Heathen' and 'Reality', and also to check out Iggy Pop's "The Idiot' and 'Lust For Life' (Co-written and produced by Bowie) for further proof of the man's undoubted genius.
Last edited by Pingu on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby funster » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Bowie’s at number 2 for me, and just like Queen, has been a huge part of me. I can still vividly remember the first time I heard ‘Life on Mars’ (on a best of album) and being completely overwhelmed by it. For me this is one of the most powerful songs *ever* written, both musically and lyrically. After that I discovered TMWSTW, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, etc. What an amazing back catalogue; there are so many gems in there. Some of my other favs are: Lady Grinning Soul, Absolute Beginners, Cat People, Sound & Vision, Cracked Actor...
He was/is a fascinating character too.

funster
Spread Your Wings

Postby Non-Stop Dancer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by Non-Stop Dancer on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Non-Stop Dancer

Next

Return to Dear Friends