Queen + David Bowie

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Re: Queen + David Bowie

Postby Lover Boy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I had never heard of David Bowie before listening to Under Pressure. But then again, before Queen I was very unaware of many great artists. I recall thinking David Bowie (judging by his voice on Under Pressure) was some kind of Frank Sinatra-ish style singer. Boy was I wrong! The only thing I own of David Bowie is the US/Canada bonus edition of "Best of Bowie." I love him as a person and I respect him as a musician, but I never really got into his music the way that I got into other artists. I know I might be tarred and feathered for saying this, but on some songs, like Heroes, I am not crazy about his voice. For that particular song, I guess I was spoiled by first hearing The Wallflower's cover of that tune for the Godzilla soundtrack, which was nothing short of amazing.

I am certainly open to listening to more of his music -- so if anybody has recommendations I would be very thankful. :)

Here is The Wallflowers rendition of Heroes for anybody who is curious. I am a huge admirer of Jakob Dylan.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby icy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:41 am

Where is Didy, I am pretty sure he will be willing to point out the greatness that is Bowie, including the lesser known music. I would tell you to check out everything you can ;).
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Lily of the Valley » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Did not believe I would find a thread about David here, so glad I do! :biggrin: I love this man! :inlove:

The Black Side :twisted: and the White Side :angel:

LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2011, Co-Winner with FreddiesShootingStar

Lily of the Valley
Spread Your Wings

"...But that's only onstage. Offstage, well I'm certainly not an ogre" ~ Freddie Mercury

Postby DBMethos » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Steven wrote:I had never heard of David Bowie before listening to Under Pressure. But then again, before Queen I was very unaware of many great artists. I recall thinking David Bowie (judging by his voice on Under Pressure) was some kind of Frank Sinatra-ish style singer. Boy was I wrong! The only thing I own of David Bowie is the US/Canada bonus edition of "Best of Bowie." I love him as a person and I respect him as a musician, but I never really got into his music the way that I got into other artists. I know I might be tarred and feathered for saying this, but on some songs, like Heroes, I am not crazy about his voice. For that particular song, I guess I was spoiled by first hearing The Wallflower's cover of that tune for the Godzilla soundtrack, which was nothing short of amazing.

I am certainly open to listening to more of his music -- so if anybody has recommendations I would be very thankful. :)

Here is The Wallflowers rendition of Heroes for anybody who is curious. I am a huge admirer of Jakob Dylan.

I too love the Wallflowers/Jakob Dylan, and that was a pretty good cover.

As far as getting into Bowie beyond the "Greatest Hits" stuff, it can be daunting since the man's gone through many different musical phases...are there any tracks on the "Best of Bowie" collection that stand out to you more than others? One way to get started is by picking up the full albums with those tracks on them. Some good albums to get started with are "Hunky Dory" and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" (that's the one that hooked me) from his classic period. If you're into experimental/ambient type music at all, give "Low" a try (it's hardly ever represented well on Greatest Hits comps). For more modern Bowie, either "Earthling" or "Heathen" would be good to try. Have fun! 8-)
I am Immortal...I have inside me blood of kings
I have no rival...no man can be my equal
Take me to the future of your world

DBMethos
Spread Your Wings

Postby Lover Boy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:07 am

DBMethos wrote:
Steven wrote:I had never heard of David Bowie before listening to Under Pressure. But then again, before Queen I was very unaware of many great artists. I recall thinking David Bowie (judging by his voice on Under Pressure) was some kind of Frank Sinatra-ish style singer. Boy was I wrong! The only thing I own of David Bowie is the US/Canada bonus edition of "Best of Bowie." I love him as a person and I respect him as a musician, but I never really got into his music the way that I got into other artists. I know I might be tarred and feathered for saying this, but on some songs, like Heroes, I am not crazy about his voice. For that particular song, I guess I was spoiled by first hearing The Wallflower's cover of that tune for the Godzilla soundtrack, which was nothing short of amazing.

I too love the Wallflowers/Jakob Dylan, and that was a pretty good cover.

As far as getting into Bowie beyond the "Greatest Hits" stuff, it can be daunting since the man's gone through many different musical phases...are there any tracks on the "Best of Bowie" collection that stand out to you more than others? One way to get started is by picking up the full albums with those tracks on them. Some good albums to get started with are "Hunky Dory" and "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" (that's the one that hooked me) from his classic period. If you're into experimental/ambient type music at all, give "Low" a try (it's hardly ever represented well on Greatest Hits comps). For more modern Bowie, either "Earthling" or "Heathen" would be good to try. Have fun! 8-)

Thanks for the feedback! I suppose the fact that he changed his style so many times over the years is what keeps me from diving into his discography right way. As silly as it sounds, I like to purchase an entire discography and his looks very intimidating! Bowie's early stuff seems to fascinate me the most though. His eighties output (the dance stuff) doesn't entice me quite as much. I love songs like Space Oddity, Ziggy Stardust, The Man Who Sold the World, and Life on Mars.

Lover Boy
We Will Rock You

"Use all the tricks of the trade, dear, and if you believe in yourself, go all the way." -- Freddie

Postby MrFarhenheit » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:20 pm

Only two words: Under pressure

MrFarhenheit
Spread Your Wings

What you're doing tonight, hey boy?

Postby Chickenfeed Babe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

There are more Queen/ Bowie connections than Under Pressure and the tribute concert. I reckon early Queen were as influenced by him as they were by Led Zep and The Beatles. Just listen to The Man Who Sold The World album (especially The Supermen) and the familiar sounding multi-guitars and stacked vocals are all there a good 2 years before Queen's debut. More than one member also witnessed one of his early Ziggy shows in '72 and it's possible they bumped into him when they were waiting to go into the studio to work on the first album whilst he was recording Aladdin Sane. There were even (denied) rumours that they'd asked him to produce their second album.

Queen's first big break came about when Bowie pulled out of Top Of The Pops to promote Rebel Rebel so a pre-recorded performance of Seven Seas Of Rhye was slotted in its place. Later, there was the Montreux/ Dave Richards connection, Live Aid and so on.

Like Queen, Bowie's most interesting and inventive period was the 70s but I think he regained form from Earthling to his last album to date, Reality. Tragically, the public have never quite forgiven him for the crappy records he made in the 80s so the 1997 - 2003 period remains under appreciated. I hope he hasn't retired for good - I, for one, would miss him greatly.

Chickenfeed Babe
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Chickenfeed Babe wrote:
Like Queen, Bowie's most interesting and inventive period was the 70s but I think he regained form from Earthling to his last album to date, Reality. Tragically, the public have never quite forgiven him for the crappy records he made in the 80s so the 1997 - 2003 period remains under appreciated. I hope he hasn't retired for good - I, for one, would miss him greatly.

Oh I don't know, I think a lot of people bought a lot of Bowie records in the 1980s and enjoyed them immensely. Unless you mean Tin Machine? Which turned a lot of people off (but got him back his alt-rock crudentials of course). I agree his later work is stellar stuff too. In some ways his appearance at the Freddie Tribute (post Tin Machine and almost exactly twenty years ago) was his last gasp of being a huge and public pop star (as he had been in the eighties).

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby davy h » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:36 am

bowie has been my idol since i discovered him when i was 16 years old in 1978, the ziggy album, lyrically the opening track (5 years) just amazed me and i was hooked, ive bought everything going thru all the styles of music and enjoyed them all, with the lack of presence for so long now he is 3rd on my list of favouries behind queen and alice cooper

best albums for me are - hunky dory, ziggy stardust, scary monsters, some excellent live albums too in stage (78), live at bbc radio theatre (2000) and reality tour (2003) i feel he got better live on his last few tours and really looked like he was enjoying them with plenty of chat with the crowds

davy h
Spread Your Wings

Postby Chickenfeed Babe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Pingu wrote:
Chickenfeed Babe wrote:

Oh I don't know, I think a lot of people bought a lot of Bowie records in the 1980s and enjoyed them immensely. Unless you mean Tin Machine? Which turned a lot of people off (but got him back his alt-rock crudentials of course). I agree his later work is stellar stuff too. In some ways his appearance at the Freddie Tribute (post Tin Machine and almost exactly twenty years ago) was his last gasp of being a huge and public pop star (as he had been in the eighties).

It's true that he enjoyed great commercial success in the 80s - Let's Dance was by far his best selling album but how many long standing Bowie fans would cite it as their favourite? And there's no excuse for the over-produced tosh on Tonight and Never Let Me Down. I actually quite liked Tin Machine (despite not being a fan of Reeves Gabrels).

I'm glad he got together with Mick Ronson and Ian Hunter at the tribute - that was a real highlight for me. And, of course, it was the last time most of us would ever see Ronno again.

Chickenfeed Babe
Spread Your Wings

Postby Pingu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:04 pm

OK, I thought you were saying that the general consumer of records in the 80s- as opposed to longtime fans- went off him. His 'pop' singles were cracking and were still big hits right upto Tin Machine (who I like too!), which seems to be when most people, devotees and Phil Collins fans alike, buggered off. But despite the quality of his later work there's no way he could regain that 80s level of popularity after going off on his early 90s tangents- the public are fickle, man.

Pingu
Spread Your Wings

Postby Tatterdemalion_ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 am

I was watching the David Bowie bits from the Tribute Concert last night. I was wondering why he played as big a role as he did. I can understand 'All the Young Dudes' as Queen and Mott went way back and Bowie wrote the track, but why Heroes? How much of a connection did Queen have with Mick Ronson? Was he a friend of Brians?

All tracks were great performances but why did Bowie get the most airtime out of all the artists? Thoughts people?
You can be anything you want to be,
Just turn yourself into anything you think you'd ever be.

Tatterdemalion_
Spread Your Wings

Postby soxtalon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't *KNOW* but I can make some guesses.

Bowie was probably the closest contemporary they had and the only artist they had genuinely collaborated with.

Bowie also probably was the most likely temperament wise to really be involved with his section.....and by that I mean I think the Daltreys, the Cherones, the Hetfields were like I'll do whatever you want Brian - you decide. Bowie probably asked for a few things and Brian and co. were probably very accommodating thinking it would be a cool addition to the show...and we know Rog loves Heroes....

I know Rog performed at the Mick Ronson tribute the next year so there is definitely that connection and Mick and Joe Elliot were great friends -and we know Joe and Brian are good friends.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby icy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Tatterdemalion_ wrote:I was watching the David Bowie bits from the Tribute Concert last night. I was wondering why he played as big a role as he did. I can understand 'All the Young Dudes' as Queen and Mott went way back and Bowie wrote the track, but why Heroes? How much of a connection did Queen have with Mick Ronson? Was he a friend of Brians?

All tracks were great performances but why did Bowie get the most airtime out of all the artists? Thoughts people?

Why Heroes? Here is my take on it. It was/is a heck of a good song, that fit the day perfectly IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:25 am

Here's a pub quiz question:
What links the song "Heroes" to the album "Jazz"?
"BLM are as equally responsible as the KKK are"

- Dustbiter, 2017

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Friends