Martel vs Lambert

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Re: Martel vs Lambert

Postby minimin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

AdamMethos wrote:Wow! It's amazes me how SOME Lambert fans bristle when people dismiss Adam Lambert as a karaoke singer because he was on American Idol and don't bother to consider the work Lambert has done outside of American Idol. And yet, in practically the same sentence, they dismiss Marc Martel as just a Freddie impersonator after what, watching one or two videos of him singing Queen songs?

Martel is a singer, plays piano and guitar, and is a songwriter who has written just over half of the songs that his band plays on the 8 or so albums they have released to date -- and he wrote them all by himself. His band, by the way, has won 4 Juno awards (the Canadian equivalent of the Grammys).

I think you are getting a little 'bristley' yourself there AdamMethos. I don't think anybody is being critical of Marc outside of the question 'Martel or Lambert' and that question to me is 'which singer should be singing with Brian and Roger'. Nobody is criticising Marc's credibility as an artist in his own right (well at least I'm certainly not).

Having said that, I have watched quite a few 'live performance' videos of Marc with his band and I still get a Freddie Mercury imitator vibe. It's in his manerisms and gestures. To me it looks like he grew up studying Freddie performance videos.

IMO BOTH Lambert and Martel can do justice to Queen songs.

I absolutely agree with this, but again, I think performing with Brian and Roger it has to be about more than just doing justice to the songs.

The personal preference of fans. Assuming a fan doesn't believe Queen should have died with Freddie, then who they prefer comes down to whether they want Queen to retain the classic Queen sound or have Queen songs re-interpreted by someone new; how much do they require Freddie-style flamboyance in a Queen frontman; and at a most basic level, whose voice do they like the best. And preference for a voice has NOTHING to do with who has the most technical ability or range or else Bob Dylan would have never had a career.

I mostly agree with this, ultimately it is about personal preference, but for me the biggest personal preference is that Brian and Roger NEVER try to replace Freddie with an impersonator. I'm sorry, it just is. It feels like a huge slap in the face to Freddie.

It is also quite important to me that they retain the 'theatricality/flambouyance' that typified the band Queen. That wasn't just a Freddie thing, for me it was part of the heart of Queen and one of those things that seperated them from the other rock bands. That is why I never got excited about the Queen + PR project - it just wasn't a Queen show for me.

I would say that I think that with Adam, they were both able to 'retain the classic Queen' AND see the songs re-interpreted, so why settle for either or? (ofc I am a huge glambert so perhaps my thoughts aren't exactly impartial :P )

Band chemistry. During the QE auditions, Roger said that past a certain level, many of those auditioning were qualified to be in QE. What he was looking for beyond technical ability is which group of people had the most chemistry together. I believe ***THIS*** is the main reason why Brian and Roger chose Lambert to front Queen+ and it's reiterated in Brian's recent soapbox postings.

Band chemistry is such an elusive and personal thing. Not having chemistry with Brian and Roger doesn't make someone any less talented or less of an artist. Look at it this way, if the situation were reversed -- if Brian and Roger had had crazy chemistry with Martel instead, do you think their thought process would have been, "Well, we totally love Marc but Adam has the most range and technical ability so let's go with Adam"?

Again, I don't think that anybody is saying that Marc is less talented. Personally, I do think Marc as a performer has studied Freddie far too closely, but that does not mean I am discrediting his songwriting or ability to play instruments. I just don't see 'Marc Martell the artist' in his performances. I'm sorry, I just don't.

In your opinion, Brian and Roger went with Adam because they had the most 'band chemistry'. In my opinion, Brian and Roger went with Adam because they recognised Adam most embodied the true spirit of Queen but did so as his own artist and then the great chemistry came later. Neither of us really know the truth - its all just guesswork.

minimin
Spread Your Wings

Postby valmacclinchy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm

AdamMethos:
No where in my post about Marc was the word 'just'. Not dismissing Marc. You misunderstood. I am more open-minded than you can imagine. Respectfully, Val

AdamMethos wrote:
valmacclinchy wrote:Martel obviously was born with a voice similar to Freddie's (in some ways) and impersonates Freddie.

Adam Lambert is a singer/songwriter with a rare countertenor voice and mad crazy stage presence that has to be experienced to be believed, who interprets Queen songs with his own unique gifts.

Wow! It's amazes me how SOME Lambert fans bristle when people dismiss Adam Lambert as a karaoke singer because he was on American Idol and don't bother to consider the work Lambert has done outside of American Idol. And yet, in practically the same sentence, they dismiss Marc Martel as just a Freddie impersonator after what, watching one or two videos of him singing Queen songs?

Martel is a singer, plays piano and guitar, and is a songwriter who has written just over half of the songs that his band plays on the 8 or so albums they have released to date -- and he wrote them all by himself. His band, by the way, has won 4 Juno awards (the Canadian equivalent of the Grammys).

If you believe that Brian May wasn't just spouting PR soundbites when he said that Adam Lambert has a one in a million voice, then surely you must believe that Brian was also being sincere when he said Marc Martel is "a gift from the gods"?

IMO BOTH Lambert and Martel can do justice to Queen songs. Jeff Scott Soto (another one SOME Lambert fans have slagged off as a low-talent) can also sing Queen songs well and has actually performed several times with Brian and Roger -- were Brian and Roger just slumming then?

The only differences between these guys as far as suitability to sing with Queen+ goes is:

The personal preference of fans. Assuming a fan doesn't believe Queen should have died with Freddie, then who they prefer comes down to whether they want Queen to retain the classic Queen sound or have Queen songs re-interpreted by someone new; how much do they require Freddie-style flamboyance in a Queen frontman; and at a most basic level, whose voice do they like the best. And preference for a voice has NOTHING to do with who has the most technical ability or range or else Bob Dylan would have never had a career.

Band chemistry. During the QE auditions, Roger said that past a certain level, many of those auditioning were qualified to be in QE. What he was looking for beyond technical ability is which group of people had the most chemistry together. I believe ***THIS*** is the main reason why Brian and Roger chose Lambert to front Queen+ and it's reiterated in Brian's recent soapbox postings.

Band chemistry is such an elusive and personal thing. Not having chemistry with Brian and Roger doesn't make someone any less talented or less of an artist. Look at it this way, if the situation were reversed -- if Brian and Roger had had crazy chemistry with Martel instead, do you think their thought process would have been, "Well, we totally love Marc but Adam has the most range and technical ability so let's go with Adam"?

Finally, for those who haven't seen Martel perform anything but Queen songs, I leave you with this -- pretty good for someone who has never had any formal voice training, huh? :onfire:

valmacclinchy
Spread Your Wings

Postby AlexKx » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 pm

I cannot believe how much he looks like Freddie in the frozen frame of that clip before you play it! He looks AMAZING!!!

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Postby Fizzle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:20 am

AlexKx wrote:I cannot believe how much he looks like Freddie in the frozen frame of that clip before you play it! He looks AMAZING!!!

He really does. :shock:

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Previous

Return to Dear Friends