Moscow Concert

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Re: Moscow Concert

Postby anotherone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 pm

JLP wrote:Reading the review posted, I wonder if the audience is mainly AL fans or Queen fans? Not that it really makes a difference of course, I am just curious.

As for Kiev, I would definitely say Queen fans and probably anyone with decent taste in music and spare time on their hands... considering the numbers that have been thrown around (250 000 people was the most mentioned I guess).
As for Moscow, I read in some Russian article, that some 25 - 27 000 tickets have been sold, at prices up to 30000 rubles (about 1000 USD, holy batman!) and I would hazard a guess that the audience very well might have been split 50:50 and depending on what the cheapest tickets were going for, there might not have been any middle-ground covered. Meaning that people willing to fork over that kind of money were either die-hard Queen fans or die-hard Lambert fans, no casual folks. Which would leave the question of the demographics and their access to internet forums and such... where I could see the Lambert fans at an advantage as their fandom dates only back to 2009 and heavily relies on internet and modern media anyway. The Kiev TV coverage skewed the whole review thing though, as anybody with a decent internet connection could and had chimed in. My two cents.

anotherone
Spread Your Wings

Postby jayw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

All in all...not bad at all. Whether it's AL, Marc Martel or anyone else...it's almost a lose/lose proposition to front Queen songs. You either are too much trying to sound like Freddie...or not sounding like Freddie enough...or don't have enough charisma...or are trying to have too much charisma and should tone it down and remember you aren't Freddie...etc.

It would seem prudent, therefore, not to attempt it . The very brief portion of the Kiev Love of My Life with Brian & "video Freddie", I thought, was golden.

jayw
We Will Rock You

Postby cyllan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm

(Posted my thoughts on the show this morning but in another thread as I couldn't find a Moscow one. Back on tonight and seen this one, so have moved it here.)

Just got back to the UK from Moscow and they did play God Save The Queen right at the end. Show was amazing, very emotional and the energy in the place was magnificent. Highlights for me were:

Roger singing Days of our Lives and his drum solo (duet?!) with Rufus. When I first heard that Roger was singing this I felt a little disappointed as I'd wanted to hear Adam do it but now I'm so glad it's Roger as it felt so much more appropriate. I found it overwhelmingly emotional and was in floods of tears at this and a couple of other points in the show when Freddie appeared on the screen and when they showed a montage of the band from earlier days.

Brian for, well, just being Brian. I've always loved his solos and the tone he plays with. I know absolutely nothing about the technicalities of guitar playing but there are 3 or 4 guitarists in the rock world whose playing I adore for the way they seem to express their feelings through their guitar, and Brian is one of them. I've never met him but to see him up there having an absolute ball was a joy to watch.

Adam is obviously getting more comfortable and relaxed with each show. I've saw him live quite a few times throughout his European Glamnation tour and he was full of confidence and completely in his element on the stage; sensual, charismatic and able to work the stage and hold the audience. However, when I went to the Graham Norton taping I couldn't believe how serious and seemingly nervous he appeared. It's almost like he was afraid to say the wrong thing and I felt so sad that somewhere along the way maybe he was starting to overanalyse everything and lose some of the belief in himself. So, it was with some trepidation that I approached the Moscow show, but luckily he seems to have rediscovered his swagger - especially during the second half of the show. The support and encouragement from Brian and Roger has, I believe, been instrumental in this and you can see and feel the chemistry between them. He's almost back to being the performer I fell for (no thanks to the record company execs who almost knocked the stuffing out of him) and to hear him singing the kind of songs I believe he was made for is phenomenal.

Sorry to have rambled on but it really was a fantastic night. The crowd were so into it and the foot stamping before the encore was so loud I thought the balcony would come down. I haven't heard it as loud as that since the days of seeing GN'R in stadiums in the 90s! The audience knew all the words and their cues - even singing along to God Save The Queen - and erupted into huge roars of approval whenever Freddie appeared on screen. The organisation at the venue could best be described as organised chaos and was the only downside to the whole experience. Although getting lost on the Moscow metro was a whole other experience too!

I'm off to Poland tomorrow and then back for Hammersmith. I hope everyone going has as brilliant time as there's no denying the band are really enjoying it.

cyllan
Spread Your Wings

Postby Mithril » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 pm

jayw wrote:

All in all...not bad at all. Whether it's AL, Marc Martel or anyone else...it's almost a lose/lose proposition to front Queen songs. You either are too much trying to sound like Freddie...or not sounding like Freddie enough...or don't have enough charisma...or are trying to have too much charisma and should tone it down and remember you aren't Freddie...etc.

It would seem prudent, therefore, not to attempt it . The very brief portion of the Kiev Love of My Life with Brian & "video Freddie", I thought, was golden.

Prudent if you're not too confident of your own talent, I suppose, but not if you are and if you think the potential benefit is worth the risk. The sell-out crowds pretty much answers the second question, and most popular musicians, in my experience, are fairly confident, or they wouldn't have gotten to where they are. It seems to me that no one who isn't up to the task is going to get asked by Brian and Roger, at any rate, even though you obviously can't please everyone.
I promise I'll get off your lawn, Mister, as soon as I get my ball... And my frisbee... And my boomerang... And my cat... :P

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby magicshoes » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:17 pm

jayw wrote:

so you would rather never hear these songs sung live again rather than have someone else sing them? That seems so sad to me.

Queen's songs are some of the best ever written and recorded and should be heard by as many people as possible IMO.

I think it's a testament to the quality of the songs that new generations are discovering and loving these songs and Queen in general and these new generations deserve the opportunity to hear them sung live.

Brian & Roger have every right to perform their own material and their judgment as to what is best for the group they were just as much a part of as Freddie is good enough for me.

What if it had been Brian, Roger or John who died and not Freddie. Queen was comprised of Freddie, Roger, Brian and John. All equally important.
My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies

magicshoes
The Show Must Go On

Postby ExtraordinarilyNice » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:55 am

Some late coming pics:

ExtraordinarilyNice
Spread Your Wings

Postby ExtraordinarilyNice » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 am

Here's a link to more (fan) photos from this show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blrtanya/s ... 500784426/