A Little More Balanced Review

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

A Little More Balanced Review

Postby Sir Knute » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:23 pm

This guy nails it as far as my perceptions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... eview.html

One thing I noticed. When it was just Brian during TYMD there was a noticeable sag in the energy of the room. A lot of people sat down and it got quieter.
Then Adam came out and they all stood again and went bonkers. I wonder if that was a little punch in the gut of the ego of Brian May. I bet it was.

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Re: A Little More Balanced Review

Postby jayw » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 am

"It’s a Queen show. But it’s not Queen."

In a nutshell, indeed it is not. Pretty fair review.

jayw
We Will Rock You

Postby play it cool » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am

jayw wrote:"It’s a Queen show. But it’s not Queen."

In a nutshell, indeed it is not. Pretty fair review.

Pretty much how I felt - it did feel like a Queen show (unlike the Q&PR shows I attended) but obviously, at least as far as I'm concerned, it isn't Queen. But that's enough for me - it's a great show.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby magsmagenta » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Sir Knute wrote:This guy nails it as far as my perceptions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... eview.html

One thing I noticed. When it was just Brian during TYMD there was a noticeable sag in the energy of the room. A lot of people sat down and it got quieter.
Then Adam came out and they all stood again and went bonkers. I wonder if that was a little punch in the gut of the ego of Brian May. I bet it was.

I don't think it's fair to say the energy sagged, I found those segments very moving. They were a good opportunity to remember Freddie and the old days and pay tribute to his achievements. Then when Adam came back it was party time again which was partly what he was there for.
The change of pace added texture to the experience.

magsmagenta
Spread Your Wings

Postby minimin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 pm

re the thread title - reviews are always 'a little more balanced' when they tell you want you want to hear. Just saying.

personally I think the best reviews came from the folks they interviewed after the gig on that wink site. The actual ticket buying audience are the folks you are trying to impress, not newspaper dudes who are there as part of their job.

minimin
Spread Your Wings

Postby magsmagenta » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:48 pm

minimin wrote:re the thread title - reviews are always 'a little more balanced' when they tell you want you want to hear. Just saying.

personally I think the best reviews came from the folks they interviewed after the gig on that wink site. The actual ticket buying audience are the folks you are trying to impress, not newspaper dudes who are there as part of their job.

This is so true of just about everything from books, concerts and CDs to restaurants. I personally don't trust 'professional' reviewers al all, they are all there because they have to be for their job, not because they want to be, and they are there for free, with all expenses paid. And most of them seem determined to use the opportunity to boost their own 'cool' factor. From what I've read it's never really been 'cool' to be into Queen, just as it isn't 'cool' to be into Adam.
Just ask NME.

magsmagenta
Spread Your Wings

Return to Dear Friends