Massive thanks to Queen

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Massive thanks to Queen

Postby frisco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:40 am

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Brian and Roger (and everybody else at Queen productions) for making the last few weeks happen. I thought I'd start this thread for people like me who are just glad that they have the opportunity to be part of an incredible Queen experience again.

Please don't pollute my thread with Adam vs Freddie vs Paul arguments, or aim any vitriol at anybody in fact! I'm not interested in getting involved in anything like that. I'm new to the forum (not new to Queen!) so I'd like my experience here to positive and supportive.

I'm a Queen fan of old, and I was lucky enough to see Queen on the Magic tour in 1986; I loved it at age 14. However, I was lucky enough to see the Hammersmith show in 2012 and I absolutely loved it at age 40, as did my wife and as did everybody else I've spoken to after the shows. I thought it was exciting and respectful but above everything else, it had fire!

I would also like to pay tribute to Adam; I thought he took on the biggest, most nerve-wracking job in the world. Not only from a vocally technical point of view, but having to walk out on stage for the first time in front of a potentially hostile audience. There were many detractors on this forum prior to the shows, and although I firmly believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think the barrage of negativity aimed towards Brian and Roger from some users would have made Freddie very sad. That's a real shame, but luckily not representative of Queen fans on the whole, as was proved by the fabulous reaction at the Hammersmith shows.

I'm also glad that a whole new generation of people have discovered Queen through Adam's involvement. Music is an art form that enriches you. Whether you are lying on your bed aged 12 listening to Queen 2 through headphones almost crying at how incredible it is, or you are standing in a venue with 5000 other people singing at the top of your voice, how you made the discovery is irrelevant. Making the discovery is all important.

Ultimately, I don't believe in good and bad music; I only believe that there is music you like and music you don't. If somebody has made the music, THEY like it...and that's the only justification there ever needs to be. I for one would love to hear any new material Brian and Roger write with or for Adam. I loved the 'old' Queen, I love the 'new' Queen.

frisco
Spread Your Wings

Re: Massive thanks to Queen

Postby The Sixpence » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:51 am

The trouble is, this link has merged music I like with a singer I don't! How do you even try to reconcile the two? And this isn't 'Queen' by the way, it's half of Queen +

If you don't want people to be 'negative' about something that's written on an open forum - then the best thing is not to post it! That's why there is such a thing as forums, so people can voice their opinions both good and bad.

It's great that you had a good time, along with many others who went to the shows, but you cannot stop people from disliking the shows either. That's the nature of this beast!

The Sixpence

Postby frisco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for your opinion. However, no arguments here, just thanks to Queen. All the best.

frisco
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Sixpence » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:00 am

On these forums an argument could start in an empty thread! ;-)

Happy that you enjoyed the shows though.

The Sixpence

Postby icy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am

The Sixpence wrote:The trouble is, this link has merged music I like with a singer I don't! How do you even try to reconcile the two? And this isn't 'Queen' by the way, it's half of Queen +

If you don't want people to be 'negative' about something that's written on an open forum - then the best thing is not to post it! That's why there is such a thing as forums, so people can voice their opinions both good and bad.

It's great that you had a good time, along with many others who went to the shows, but you cannot stop people from disliking the shows either. That's the nature of this beast!

:agreepost: Well said.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Rhapsody Blue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

frisco wrote:I'm also glad that a whole new generation of people have discovered Queen through Adam's involvement.

No argument here but....

I wish some people would stop saying this. If Adam hadn't done these shows the "new generation" would have never ever heard of Queen? Is that what you're really saying? It's the other way around frisco. I'm glad through Queen's involvement more people have now heard of Adam.
Those were the days of our lives, the bad things in life were so few, those days are all gone now.

Rhapsody Blue
Spread Your Wings

Postby frisco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for your opinions. Like I said, I'm simply grateful for the opportunity to be part of something like this again. Whoever instigates, whichever direction people come from, however they arrive is ok by me. I just wanted to say thank you for something I enjoyed immensely. Cheers x

frisco
Spread Your Wings

Postby Montavilla » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you for the kind posts, Frisco.

In terms of thinking about thanks for the project, I think some thanks are due to the people who helped this project come together. Like the audience in Belfast who responded so well to "Queen" (in quotes because it wasn't -- but they were billed that way) at the EMAs. They had no idea what to expect, and they could have rejected the combination, but they didn't.

There were the Sonisphere organizers who tempted Brian and Roger to do one more gig. Even though that fell through, it's what started the project. There were the Moscow promoters who offered the stadium for that one warm-up gig, the ones in Wroclaw who wanted in on the project, and the Anti-AIDS people in Kiev who invited both Elton John and Queen + AL to perform.

All on the basis of one ten-minute performance, with no guarantee that Queen fans would accept the "Karaoke Kid."

And the people at Hammersmith Apollo, who found time in their schedule for not only two shows, but three. I'm sure that took a little logistics-juggling to make happen.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby queenbee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 am

Montavilla wrote:Thank you for the kind posts, Frisco.

And the people at Hammersmith Apollo, who found time in their schedule for not only two shows, but three. I'm sure that took a little logistics-juggling to make happen.

I want to echo the thanks to the lovely staff at the Apollo who posted my lost property back to me - with an apology that Messsrs May, Taylor and Lambert were not available to deliver it personally :lol:

queenbee
Spread Your Wings

Postby monty-- » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:51 am

It's nice to thank someone, frisco. But you DID pay a hell of a lot of money for the privilege. As for walking on to a potentially hostile audience? It felt like half of them were Lambert fans already :)

monty--
Spread Your Wings

Postby voodoogirl » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 am

I'd gladly thank B&R for the opportunity to pay them lots of money to see them in the US. :D

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Postby Karamouche » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:38 am

Well said frisco! A big thanks to Bri&Rog for the shows :) I enjoyed it a lot!
- Karoline

Born to be kings

Karamouche
Spread Your Wings

Postby frisco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:08 pm

queenbee wrote:
Montavilla wrote:Thank you for the kind posts, Frisco.

I want to echo the thanks to the lovely staff at the Apollo who posted my lost property back to me - with an apology that Messsrs May, Taylor and Lambert were not available to deliver it personally :lol:

Ha ha! Yes I agree; the staff at Hammersmith were great on the night I was there, so thanks to them too!

frisco
Spread Your Wings

Postby Out of The Shadows » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Great post frisco! And I hope I get the privilege of properly thanking them by buying a ticket here in the US. The Show Must Go On... please? :-)
Love overcomes hate. Love has no color. Love has no orientation. All is love. ~ Adam Lambert

Out of The Shadows
Spread Your Wings

Postby guinness » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:15 pm

The show definately must go on - but so much more to do in UK first - we've waited long enough, America wait your turn ! ! ! After the most amazing show on Thursday, I had to listen to the muffled sounds of "Swedish House Mafia" in my garden Saturday night :-( . Other than that, the MK Bowl is only used for sunday car boot sales - surely a stadium Queen + AL could be squeezed in this summer . . . ? !

Also, big thanks to the "youtube to MP3" converters, as I can listen to the show full volume in the car on the way to work and I seem to the only commuter singing and grinning like a kid :D

guinness
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Dear Friends