Rodgers or Lambert?

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Rodgers or Lambert? Rock or Pop? ;-)

Paul Rodgers
56%
Adam Lambert
44%

Total votes : 108

Re: Rodgers or Lambert?

Postby Sir Knute » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:39 am

Rodgers is magic. Even if you try and hate him if you give him enough of a chance something he does will make you take notice. The simple reason is because his number one priority with music has always been to try and bring out the feeling. Even at the expense of stage charisma or whatever. He doesn't give a shit about any of the external stuff. He wants to feel the music completely and bring out his heart and soul into it. He's always done this. Listen to this live number when he was 20 years old. There's no double octave E above middle C.(although he can hit notes I could only dream of.) His voice isn't always perfect and he doesn't have flawless technique. But damn, he's got soul. This is the kind of singing that moves me.

phpBB [video]

So Adam is probably a better fit I think, on the surface at least, but Rodgers has a certain something that I find missing in QAL.

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:09 am

although brian may tries to convince people that lambert is one in a million, there are still more lamberts out there than there are pauls

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby Fizzle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Now that I've seen both do the Queen thing live, the shows were both wonderful and different in their own ways but my vote is still for Rodgers. The QAL experience was more Queen focused, no other artist's songs were performed, a campy frontman who can sing the hell out of those songs, but something that bothered me was the people in the audience who seemed bored when Adam wasn't on stage (during Days of Our Lives and Brian's solo, for example). I'm thinking how DARE you not appreciate what you're witnessing. :P At the show with Paul everyone was on the same page, both fanbases together eating up every moment. There was a distinction between Paul as himself with Brian and Roger.. if that makes sense. No crown, no Freddie-like behavior.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby icy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:24 pm

My vote is still for PR. I love his voice so much more.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Simon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:50 pm

icy wrote:My vote is still for PR. I love his voice so much more.

Agreed. I also loved the inclusion of Free/Bad Company-songs.Franky, I would have loved some more songs from Rodgers. "Wishing Well" and "Bad Company" were probably my favourite songs, but "All Right Now" with the Red Special and the Queen treatment in general makes it a much more enjoyable song. (On the record it feels a little cold and sterile). I don't like much singing along during concerts, I don't like choreography like the hand-clapping during "Radio Gaga", but I always enjoyed singing the chorus to "All Right Now" during the gigs I visited.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby play it cool » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 am

As a singer? Paul Rodgers, no doubt about it. The guy is a legend in his own right, with a great voice, albeit rather unlike Fred's.

As a stand-in replacement front man for Queen? Lambert. He fits the music better, and because no-one is interested in his solo stuff it's entirely about Queen music, and that all leads to a slightly more authentic recreation of what a Queen gig used to be like.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Previous

Return to Dear Friends