Rodgers or Lambert?

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Rodgers or Lambert? Rock or Pop? ;-)

Paul Rodgers
56%
Adam Lambert
44%

Total votes : 108

Rodgers or Lambert?

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok, so leaving aside the argument that no one should be singing with 'Queen', which singer fits the band the best?

Personally, I now see the late, great Paul Rodgers as a world class vocalist. Since seeing him live with QPR and hearing his voice (mainly on his own material) I have to admit that he really is almost flawless as a singer.

Lambert is a very good singer of course, but he's a bit too 'pop' for me, a bit too 'West End musical' if you know what I mean...so, for me, Paul Rodgers is or was the best fit of the two. Mind you the Cosmos Flops was an affront to humanity, so let's not mention that again!

It's just for fun ok.... :P

For this message fairydandy has received thanks from himself

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Re: Rodgers or Lambert?

Postby ThroughOurSplendor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:10 pm

This is like choosing between being punched in the balls or kicked in the balls; either way you've still been hit in the balls.

That said, I go with Paul Rodgers simply because he is an established rock singer and has made some important contributions to the world of popular music. Lambert is not and has not.
Why can't we see that when we bleed we bleed the same

ThroughOurSplendor
Spread Your Wings

What the hell does this do?

Location: Oh wouldn't you like to know, wouldn't you like to know.

Postby Misfire » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 pm

AL :P
PR in my opinion was not worth my daughters dosh.

Misfire
Spread Your Wings

Postby dimcyril » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Paul Rodgers, no doubt about it in my opinion. I agree with Fairy Dandy's comments regarding Adam Lambert

dimcyril
Spread Your Wings

Postby The Sixpence » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Paul Rodgers all the way. Far better suited to performing live with Queen - at least he looked comfortable on stage with them without it looking forced. Damn better voice for the rock stuff - not suited for some material performed live and throw into the boot some of his own top quality material was performed live such as All Right Now, Wishing Well, Feel Like Making Love, Can't Get Enough of Your Love etc it made for a good night out. I also liked Cosmos Rocks as an album - some good stuff on there - and some bad stuff, which in that regards makes it like every other album I own, including the classic Queen ones.

Lamberts voice is not suited for rock and being totally honest when I've watched the videos of him performing both his own and Queen's stuff there have been moments when I have literally had to put my fingers in my ears due to the high pitched shrillness. Never had to do that with Rodgers.

In each and every way Paul Rodgers is far superior to Adam Lambert.

The Sixpence

Postby BitterTears » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:01 pm

It took 8 years but finally some of the more stubborn fans are warming up to Paul Rodgers! Well done, Adam Lambert

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby play it cool » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Having seen Q&PR on the 05 & 08 tours, as well as Q&AL in Hammersmith, I really have to say that AL wins it for me.

PR is indeed a world-class vocalist and a legend in his own right. That said, for me he wasn't the right choice to sing with Queen. I don't look back on that period of Queen activity with any great fondness. Seeing them last week however was a completely different experience - much more like a 'Queen' show, and Adam brought back a little fun into it. And because he's not such a big name as PR the musical emphasis was all about Queen, which also made it flow better IMHO.

There's a lot of shite being written about AL on here at the moment. No, of course he's not as good as Freddie, not nearly. But he's young and still learning the ropes. And the crowd at Hammersmith loved him - and I'm not on about the Glamberts, but lots of older fans gave him a number of standing ovations in between songs. I certainly didn't see anything like it at the Q&PR shows I saw. Good for him, I thought he did a great job. I don't think he'll stay around though with a new album just out - I hope so though, I'd like to see them again.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby The Sixpence » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

play it cool wrote:There's a lot of shite being written about AL on here at the moment. No, of course he's not as good as Freddie, not nearly. But he's young and still learning the ropes. And the crowd at Hammersmith loved him - and I'm not on about the Glamberts, but lots of older fans gave him a number of standing ovations in between songs.

They were just clapping out of relief that he'd finished singing! :P

The Sixpence

Postby play it cool » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:58 pm

The Sixpence wrote:
play it cool wrote:There's a lot of shite being written about AL on here at the moment. No, of course he's not as good as Freddie, not nearly. But he's young and still learning the ropes. And the crowd at Hammersmith loved him - and I'm not on about the Glamberts, but lots of older fans gave him a number of standing ovations in between songs.

Note the first sentence of mine you quoted. :mrgreen:
Last edited by play it cool on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby The Sixpence » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 pm

play it cool wrote:
The Sixpence wrote:

See the first sentence you quoted. :mrgreen:

Well, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt given the shite about him you'd just written! :mrgreen:

The Sixpence

Postby play it cool » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:00 pm

The Sixpence wrote:[Well, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt given the shite about him you'd just written! :mrgreen:

I take it you were there then?

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Sir Knute » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Lambert of course.
He makes me feel young again. I just get so lost when I look into his eyes. He's magnificent in every way.
He's done as much if not more than Freddie Mercury at the three year point of their careers you know?

Paul?
He sings blues. Yuck. Dad rock.
Paul only wishes he could be as young, beautiful, and electrifying as Adam.

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Paul.
Dang, I miss those days :sigh:.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby icy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Sir Knute wrote:Lambert of course.
He makes me feel young again. I just get so lost when I look into his eyes. He's magnificent in every way.
He's done as much if not more than Freddie Mercury at the three year point of their careers you know?

Paul?
He sings blues. Yuck. Dad rock.
Paul only wishes he could be as young, beautiful, and electrifying as Adam.

It's so good to have you back :lol:
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby voodoogirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 pm

They are so different, but I voted for Adam as I never liked Bad Company's catalog or Paul's voice much. Also Brian and Roger look happy as I've seen in quite some time, which makes me smile, nothing like a shot of youth to kick in like a B12 shot. I do think they could fine tune the set list to remove the songs that don't suit Adam at all like Fat Bottom Girls, which would also eliminate the awful 'fat ass' banter, win/win :oops:

Ditch 'Crazy Little Thing' and 'Fat Bottom Girls'. Add 'Killer Queen', 'Play The Game' or 'The Miracle'.

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Dear Friends