Rodgers or Lambert?

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Rodgers or Lambert? Rock or Pop? ;-)

Paul Rodgers
56%
Adam Lambert
44%

Total votes : 108

Re: Rodgers or Lambert?

Postby RPeura » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:01 am

Brian May interview (101 FM):

Brian May On Reviving Freddie Mercury: “I Don’t Want To Be Touring With A Hologram”
“It makes you feel like museum pieces, and we’re not fossils, we’re alive.”

May added that it “just wouldn’t feel right” and that he finds it more interesting to tour with a similar-sounding live singer like Adam Lambert anyway.

http://kearth101.cbslocal.com/2013/10/2 ... -hologram/
I Want to Break Free

RPeura
We Will Rock You

Postby eiricd » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 am

interesting how the doc has done a 180 and wants a "similiar sounding singer"

what made him fire up Queen again was the fact that Paul Rodgers was nothing like Freddie and made the songs his own, rather than be a pale copy of Freddie Mercury

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby voodoogirl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm

I'd like to hear the actual audio of that quote because it sounds to me like journalistic license. Go back to another interview this week and Brian said Adam didn't sound like Freddie at all. Which, well he doesn't. I find it hard to believe would call him a sound alike, except for perhaps range and style and what songs in the catalogue they can do in comparison to a singer like Paul. Now Roger said Marc sounds like Freddie and well, he does.

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Well, hopefully the hologram is out!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby voodoogirl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 pm

It does seem like they are entertaining some offers. I would not be shocked if the MGM Grand didn't put in a bid for a gig after the iheart show.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-may-interview-2013/?trackback=twitter_top

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Postby Promite » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 am

voodoogirl wrote:I'd like to hear the actual audio of that quote because it sounds to me like journalistic license. Go back to another interview this week and Brian said Adam didn't sound like Freddie at all. Which, well he doesn't. I find it hard to believe would call him a sound alike, except for perhaps range and style and what songs in the catalogue they can do in comparison to a singer like Paul. Now Roger said Marc sounds like Freddie and well, he does.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2013/10/21/bri ... -hologram/

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Montavilla » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 am

Promite wrote:
voodoogirl wrote:I'd like to hear the actual audio of that quote because it sounds to me like journalistic license. Go back to another interview this week and Brian said Adam didn't sound like Freddie at all. Which, well he doesn't. I find it hard to believe would call him a sound alike, except for perhaps range and style and what songs in the catalogue they can do in comparison to a singer like Paul. Now Roger said Marc sounds like Freddie and well, he does.

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2013/10/21/bri ... -hologram/

You were correct, Voodoogirl. What I heard was Brian expressing his preference for playing with a living singer, so that the music remained organic. (As in "changing," not as a synonym for "acoustic.") There was no mention of Lambert sounding similar to Freddie.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby eiricd » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 am

voodoogirl wrote:It does seem like they are entertaining some offers. I would not be shocked if the MGM Grand didn't put in a bid for a gig after the iheart show.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/brian-may-interview-2013/?trackback=twitter_top

"[...]he’s a nice guy. That’s very important these days. If you’re going to work with someone, you’ve got to enjoy them as a person[...]

is this a "subtle" stab at Paul Rodgers?

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby voodoogirl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

That's the second time he's said something like that this week. the WBIG interview he said 'you can't work with people you don't like.'

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:07 pm

eiricd wrote:is this a "subtle" stab at Paul Rodgers?

That seems a bit of a reach in the dark. If he hated Paul they wouldn't have done two tours together.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby soxtalon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Not much of a reach. It's one of those poorly kept secrets that there was some tension between Paul and Brian at the end of the last tour and why the "break" happened.

I don't think he hated Paul, and publicly they've made mention of each other well enough, but there were other little clues and then there was the interview where Rog made some brief mention of tension at the end.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Montavilla » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:52 pm

soxtalon wrote:Not much of a reach. It's one of those poorly kept secrets that there was some tension between Paul and Brian at the end of the last tour and why the "break" happened.

I don't think he hated Paul, and publicly they've made mention of each other well enough, but there were other little clues and then there was the interview where Rog made some brief mention of tension at the end.

It could also be that Lambert is a nice person to work with. I do take that stuff with a grain of salt, because it's rare that any famous person is going to trash-talk people they work with. But it's also something that's consistently mentioned about Lambert, not just by Brian and/or Roger.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby Sir Knute » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:42 am

The legendary soul singer WIlson Picket recorded a cover version of a Paul Rodgers tune called Fire and Water.
Just that one fact kinda sets Paul way higher than AL, let alone all the other rock n' roll history that surrounds the guy. And he still sets the bar high. Every article about him mentions surprise at how he has retained his powerful voice well into his sixties.

I believe he did an excellent job with Brain and Roger. He wasn't a Queen fan per se, but he took to the music, occupied the songs and put his heart into it. That was more evident in the tunes that were his personal favorites like TSMGO. Back when I was listening to QPR bootlegs I remember some outstanding versions of that. And finally, his own tunes kicked ass at the QPR gigs. One of my highlights of the two gigs I saw was Can't Get Enough. I loved their version of that and it was great watching Brian and Roger playing bluesy rock n' roll grooves.

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:08 am

Sir Knute wrote:And finally, his own tunes kicked ass at the QPR gigs. One of my highlights of the two gigs I saw was Can't Get Enough. I loved their version of that and it was great watching Brian and Roger playing bluesy rock n' roll grooves.

Funny you should say that, seeing Brian and Roger performing some of Paul's back catalogue were among my favourite moments at the QPR gigs. Always nice to see a band you love performing songs by someone else you like.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby Michael Allred » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Sir Knute wrote:The legendary soul singer WIlson Picket recorded a cover version of a Paul Rodgers tune called Fire and Water.
Just that one fact kinda sets Paul way higher than AL, let alone all the other rock n' roll history that surrounds the guy. And he still sets the bar high. Every article about him mentions surprise at how he has retained his powerful voice well into his sixties.

I believe he did an excellent job with Brain and Roger. He wasn't a Queen fan per se, but he took to the music, occupied the songs and put his heart into it. That was more evident in the tunes that were his personal favorites like TSMGO. Back when I was listening to QPR bootlegs I remember some outstanding versions of that. And finally, his own tunes kicked ass at the QPR gigs. One of my highlights of the two gigs I saw was Can't Get Enough. I loved their version of that and it was great watching Brian and Roger playing bluesy rock n' roll grooves.

so now we measure someone's worth by who covers their songs? give me a break. who cares who does whose song that matters very little
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Friends