Question about 2 subforums

Want to moan about the forums, here's where to do it
Didymus

Re: Question about 2 subforums

Post by Didymus »

Picard wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:44 pm Use Another World for the fried chicken type topics. Simples.
In fairness, Another World was a thriving channel with music, film, tv etc. discussion. It didn't need extra material putting into it.

I'd also maintain - especially when you're trying to rebuild a broken down community - that listening to what that community wants instead of shutting down suggestions is the best way forward. If people can't get what they want out of this place, will they stick around?

My honest advice is to trial it the way it is, but be open to the notion of possibly condensing all the Queen talk into a couple of forums, and expanding the non-Queen talk into a couple of forums. There you go - same number of channels, but the people actually using them are happier... and there won't be dead zones either. But then, if you really think there's enough discussion around John Deacon to fill an entire sub-forum, go right ahead... ;)

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Personally, I'd suggest the following layout... call them whatever you want.
  • Queen news & current activities (New products, Q+AL etc.)
  • Serious Queen Discussion (Albums, Songs, Live, Music Videos etc - in depth discussion about the band's output.)
  • Light Hearted Queen Discussion (Chatter about Queen, favourites polls, silly games etc.)
  • Solo Material (A general place for all FOUR members of the band)
  • Another World (Can be any name, but a section on any other entertainment. Films, tv, music, sport, theatre, arts etc etc.)
  • Fried Chicken (Can be any name, but reinstate that section. Merge it with the old "Views of the World" so it has anything that's non arts related. Current affairs, silly stuff, member banter.)
Simple. Six forums. Literally HALF the number you've currently set up, so if you really want to divide out the Q+AL stuff you can do and make it seven. Either way... No bloat. Everything has a logical place and nowhere is a dead Do-Do like some of the current sections are going to be.

But hey, I'm only a professional comms / marketer / project coordinator. What do I know? :lol:

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

I wasn't trying to shut people up. One of my first threads on here is in AW and isn't music related at all. That's how I saw that section when I came along after the board had been developed.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

It's ok, I just wanted to know if there was a place just for "chat", I wasn't sure if AL was just meant for entertainment type of topics.. I'm glad there is a place to chat as well, so I'm good.

Innuendoes
Location: Never be lonely, lost in the night, Just run from the darkness, lookin' for the light.

Post by Innuendoes »

Sir Didymus wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 pm Personally, I'd suggest the following layout... call them whatever you want.
  • Serious Queen Discussion (Albums, Songs, Live, Music Videos etc - in depth discussion about the band's output.)
  • Light Hearted Queen Discussion (Chatter about Queen, favourites polls, silly games etc.)
  • Another World (Can be any name, but a section on any other entertainment. Films, tv, music, sport, theatre, arts etc etc.)
  • Fried Chicken (Can be any name, but reinstate that section. Merge it with the old "Views of the World" so it has anything that's non arts related. Current affairs, silly stuff, member banter.)
Simple. Six forums. Literally HALF the number you've currently set up, so if you really want to divide out the Q+AL stuff you can do and make it seven. Either way... No bloat. Everything has a logical place and nowhere is a dead Do-Do like some of the current sections are going to be.

But hey, I'm only a professional comms / marketer / project coordinator. What do I know? :lol:
This is excellent. I just hope it happens, eventually.

JLP
Site Admin

Post by JLP »

Save Me was a good forum and was well moderated so no one really said anything out of order. Trouble is that into could have been used to attack people elsewhere on the web.

I play my cards very close to my chest and trust a few people on here. Hence I rarely post anything that could be used against me elsewhere. Not that I would care anyway unless it involved my family. Then the gloves would come off.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Picard wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:36 am Save Me was a good forum and was well moderated so no one really said anything out of order. Trouble is that into could have been used to attack people elsewhere on the web.

I play my cards very close to my chest and trust a few people on here. Hence I rarely post anything that could be used against me elsewhere. Not that I would care anyway unless it involved my family. Then the gloves would come off.
It was one of the best forums for sure. I know I used it often, very often, but I will always be thankful to the people that gave me advice there and outside of there. You sir did almost as much as the people I was close too, so a thank you for that and allowing Save Me to be there for so many people. I know it was helpful not only to me.
I know all too well things left the old board, I'm not perfect, and you will be probably the first one to agree, but when family matters, especially things like tragedy and illness is used against someone...it's fkd. People can say what they like about me, but when my family has been used against me to have a go at me and that has happened this past year, gloves off.

*corrected my typos*
Last edited by Black Wings on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Wings

Post by Black Wings »

Innuendoes wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:01 am
Sir Didymus wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 pm Personally, I'd suggest the following layout... call them whatever you want.

This is excellent. I just hope it happens, eventually.
Great ideas for sure. But since the board is already set up, could it even be changed?

Ian-Highlander
Technical Admin

Post by Ian-Highlander »

Icy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am Great ideas for sure. But since the board is already set up, could it even be changed?
From a technical standpoint of course it could, however the current layout was dictated from "above". None of the mods/admins had a real say in it (we had visibility of it of course and it was me that set all the forums and permissions up but no real say in how they were defined). I'm sure if you were to run suggestions by Nick he might consider suggesting them to the people what make the decisions, but as it stands no one on here can change them without that say so.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

I think it would be very much worth forwarding up the chain if it looks like the current divide isn't actually resulting a working forum.

If after a few months you've only got one or two active threads per forum, but Another World is jostling for space... it will prove the point, and a reshuffle would be logical. If this is how they want it now then I guess the proof will be in the pudding - they're the ones getting paid to make choices, I guess! Though, if the "regulars" are the ones that management want to use it, it'd be nice if they were open to feedback. After all, there's nothing stopping any of us from just walking away... oh, what am I saying, we're all going to die in here. :lol: