Brian says Queen doing upcoming work with Adam Lambert!

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Re: Brian says Queen doing upcoming work with Adam Lambert!

Postby Michael Allred » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

tenementfunster wrote:What is it with Brian and continuously dragging the Queen brand down to the level of this kind of shit? It's a shame Roger seems to have no problem going along with the rubbish. Adam Lambert - who the fucK? It would be one thing if he was an incredible artist they'd discovered, but he's just any annoying singer off some US TV show. The only thing he seems to have going for him is being gay and flamboyant as he isn't a songwriter and is pretty generic sounding as a singer.

"generic sounding as a singer" essentially writes off your opinion as meaningless.

Apparently if you don't like whiny overly gay American pop singers you have a closed mind, oh my!!

Apparently if you don't worship at the feet of a campy overly gay UK rock singer, you are dragging Queen's legacy through the mud.
Selling off some of my Queen collection which you can find at http://evilbaby.tripod.com/Queen_Collection_Sale.html please PM me if you are interested in anything.

Michael Allred
We Will Rock You

Postby Promite » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Just what this ailing forum needed. A little AL collab mention to create traffic and lively 'debate'.

I'm settling in with my popcorn now. :food3:

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby Lester Burnham » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:49 pm

I dislike Adam Lambert as a singer and dislike his collaboration with Brian and Roger.

Flame away.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby Montavilla » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Kes wrote:Personally, I REALLY do hope that whatever it is, it's a one-off event, that they all get it out of their system, and then move on.

Too much beyond that, and it will constrict both "their" legacy, AND "his" potential future career. They'll be known as that bunch of sixty year olds with the twenty year old lead singer, and he'll be known as a twenty or so year old singer who needed to ride on a deceased singer's laurels to make it in the music biz.

I think it would only hurt a younger performance artist to work with an older group if that group were considered passé or terrible. Neither of which Queen is.

I would think it would only hurt an older group to work with a younger artist... well, I really can't think of an instance where that would hurt them. Older people helping, guiding, mentoring younger people is a natural social convention and it's been happening as long as humans have had social memory.

In any case, if this happens, that'll make it a "three-off event." So far. :D
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby AdamMethos » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Michael Allred wrote:what a naive view. if you think "music" is the only thing that hinders or propels a music career then you've been living under a rock. Lambert is nowhere near the controversial or tabloid level of Ozzy or Manson and therefore doesn't generate the same amount of headlines either of them did *outside* music circles.

the simple fact is that Lambert, being an openly gay performer is holding him back to a degree.

Obviously, MUSIC isn't the only thing that hinders or propels a music career. I was specifically talking about Adam's situation, not the music industry in general. In Adam's situation, he already has (or had) the other ingredients in place, such as:

- Major media exposure
- Major record label
- Major singing talent

I think it's safe to say that everyone in Adam's target market has already heard of him and his music. And every poll I've seen shows that young people in America are strongly pro-same-sex marriage, so I can't see being openly gay as a reason why they wouldn't buy his album.

So the only reason I can see for why people aren't buying his album is that they don't like his music -- or AT LEAST don't like it enough to purchase. There are lots of musicians that I like enough to watch music videos on YouTube or attend concerts, but I don't feel the need to buy their music. I think Adam is in this situation.

AdamMethos
Spread Your Wings

Sir Lurk-a-lot

Postby Bri » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Please move this to Dear Friends if it becomes AL dominated again!
It's better to burn out - than to fade away!

Bri
The Show Must Go On

Im crusin' in overdrive....

Postby mab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

If someone isn't ''making it'', it's probably because they're not THAT good.

It's pretty unusual for truly great artists to fail. It happens, but very rarely in the scheme of things. If someone has a genuinely unique talent, chances are they'll get somewhere.

Adam Lambert is nothing special, no-one unique. That's why he'll never be a credible artist in his own right.

Zero to do with coming from a talent show and zero to do with bigotry. Everything to do with being comparatively average.

If you think Adam Lambert is a special artist who deserves a significant career, you really do need to listen to a wider variety of music. Sorry, I know I get jumped on for saying that kind of thing, but I'll keep saying it because it's true. Having a good vocal range is NOT the be-all and end-all in music, but it's really all that AL has got going for him. It ain't enough.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby icy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

CNB wrote:
Kes wrote:Personally, I REALLY do hope that whatever it is, it's a one-off event, that they all get it out of their system, and then move on.

Too much beyond that, and it will constrict both "their" legacy, AND "his" potential future career. They'll be known as that bunch of sixty year olds with the twenty year old lead singer, and he'll be known as a twenty or so year old singer who needed to ride on a deceased singer's laurels to make it in the music biz.

Actually, Adam is 31 (but still half THEIR age). It's really not Adam's fault that he is being held down in the music business. I chalk that up to the conservative bigotry still going on in the USA.

Oh my..it really doesn't take much for you to bring that up. Again!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby mab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Michael Allred wrote:
tenementfunster wrote:What is it with Brian and continuously dragging the Queen brand down to the level of this kind of shit? It's a shame Roger seems to have no problem going along with the rubbish. Adam Lambert - who the fucK? It would be one thing if he was an incredible artist they'd discovered, but he's just any annoying singer off some US TV show. The only thing he seems to have going for him is being gay and flamboyant as he isn't a songwriter and is pretty generic sounding as a singer.

"generic sounding as a singer" essentially writes off your opinion as meaningless.

Apparently if you don't like whiny overly gay American pop singers you have a closed mind, oh my!!

Apparently if you don't worship at the feet of a campy overly gay UK rock singer, you are dragging Queen's legacy through the mud.

The trouble is, he IS pretty genetic sounding as a singer. The truth may hurt, but it's still the truth. Quite honestly, Brian and Roger are daft and misguided for taking it even this far. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your heroes are above making a miscalculation.

mab
Don't Stop Me Now

Was it all worth it?

Postby icy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:53 pm

mab wrote:If someone isn't ''making it'', it's probably because they're not THAT good.

It's pretty unusual for truly great artists to fail. It happens, but very rarely in the scheme of things. If someone has a genuinely unique talent, chances are they'll get somewhere.

Adam Lambert is nothing special, no-one unique. That's why he'll never be a credible artist in his own right.

Zero to do with coming from a talent show and zero to do with bigotry. Everything to do with being comparatively average.

If you think Adam Lambert is a special artist who deserves a significant career, you really do need to listen to a wider variety of music. Sorry, I know I get jumped on for saying that kind of thing, but I'll keep saying it because it's true. Having a good vocal range is NOT the be-all and end-all in music, but it's really all that AL has got going for him. It ain't enough.

great post mab, all of it very true and spot on IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Promite » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Whether you like it or not, it's all on!! :) :) :) :)

Hollywood Reporter ‏@thr 37m
.@adamlambert to Reprise Queen Performance, Says Brian May bit.ly/1alZr8I

Retweeted by Adam Lambert

He wouldn't be retweeting this if it wasn't definite.

Let the games begin! :food3: :lol:
Last edited by Promite on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Promite
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:57 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think AL has a great voice. He has a great range and I think he handles whatever is generally thrown at him. He's no legend but he's not as bad as some have made out. He's not being held back by bigotry though. He's being held back by a lack of really quality songs.

As far as the collaboration goes, I've never been precious about it...if Brian and Roger are performing Queen tracks, I'll watch/buy/listen. I like the broader set list they can do with Adam. So I'll probably enjoy it enough.

I'd still rather see Brian/Roger by themselves backed with Spike, a keyboardist, and Rufus for additional percussion...but I'll take what I can get :D

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby voodoogirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:41 pm

I don't know why people are upset, Kiev was a televised event as well. An event can be anything.

voodoogirl
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 pm

There's nothing "generic" about Adam -- his voice, his look and his charismatic stage presence. He may not be a legend (yet) but Nancy Sinatra thinks he has what it takes to be one:

"Nancy Sinatra ‏@NancySinatra 8m
Adam has a special quality that is timeless, the stuff of which legends are made."

By the way, Adam's music isn't any worse than some of the utter crap that's being played on radio now; in fact, in many cases it's much better, but I'm serious that the conservative radio industry monopoly in America will not play his music.
Last edited by CNB on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Nevertheless, anything beyond short working relationships winds up getting badged up as Queen plus their new lead singer.

The term "new lead singer" suggests he is "replacing" Freddie as frontman of this band. It wasn't right with Paul Rodgers, and it's not right with AL.

That's not AL's fault, and it's not Brian and Roger's fault, but the music press ARE the music press, and Joe Public believe what they write.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Friends