Memories of QPR

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Memories of QPR

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:48 pm

This current Adam Bolton burlesque show with musical accompaniment by two members of a band once called Queen got me thinking about the Q+PR years. We argued and complained at the time, but they were great times. What are your enduring memories?

1) The announcement. Out of the blue, surprising, confusing, exciting and distressing.

2) 46664. Rodgers didn't know the words. It was worrying.

3) Brixton. There was a fiasco scrambling for tickets, but we all got them in the end. No one had ever heard Reaching Out before. What was that Seagull crap? The show was great. That moment when we thought we'd persuaded Brian to sing '39, as if it wasn't his plan all along. Love Of My Life. Freddie. QUEEN LIVE.

4) European Tour. Set list changes. That catwalk reveal. The MP3 downloads.

5) Sheffield. "Hello Sheffield!" is hardly rock n roll, but it was a great show. I was in the DVD that some people accused me of ruining by texting the set list; the reality was he was annoyed because he usually got the scoop on each set list. Nowadays we've got people streaming shows! Just 9 years later!

6) Hyde Park. Al Quaeda tried to ruin it but QPR added in Imagine and made it truly memorable.

7) The album. Eugh. It actually wasn't too bad, apart from most of the songs.

8) A new tour. New songs. Bad Company. Brian nightly had a seizure singing the word 'science' in Say It's Not True. BIJOU. That was the best thing to come out of the entire project.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Re: Memories of QPR

Postby icy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 pm

The news when it broke for sure. It was bittersweet, for me anyways. I sure wasn't expecting it to happen. All in all, and I admit never having attended the concerts, it was a great time looking back. My biggest issue was about the Queen name. Tame compared to things in recent times.
The Hyde Park gig. I heard awesome things about that from people who attended. I wish it made it to DVD.
I enjoy today ROTC more than TCR. I never would have expected an album to come from it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby BitterTears » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:56 pm

Almost 10 years since Brixton. I still think of Brian and Roger back touring again as a recent thing but Brixton is now as long ago from now as Brixton was to Made In Heaven.

The arguments on here! What does 'Queen' mean? etc... Think it made the QAL arguments looks quite tame in comparison..!

I remember some Queen covers being played before the concerts in 2005. I think Hayseed Dixie were featured? And then Eminem's Lose Yourself as the intro and Brian played along with the last few chords and made the hair on my neck stand up straight.

I absolutely lost it during Days of Our Lives when Freddie came on the screen. I think I spoke about this before on here because I mentioned that on the Sheffield DVD there's a girl crying at the exact same bit so I knew I wasn't crazy and someone one here said they were the guy standing next to her.

Paul's little 're-imagining' of lyrics.... eg. 'You know that everybody here tonight's gotta...break free some tiiiiIIIIIIiiiiiime!'

I remember thinking on the '05 tour that Paul left the stage for an awfully long time in the middle. There must have been about a half hour section. Roger getting pelted with condoms when introducing Say It's Not True. In Manchester, Peter Key introducing a 'special treat'...which for some reason I assumed to mean that John was there. But it was just them playing Under Pressure for the first time on the tour. Although that was pretty cool.

Not really anything to do with Queen but after the Manchester concert, back at the hotel I watched an American sitcom on TV called 'The Pitts'. I haven't seen it on TV since and sometimes wonder if I imagined it. It was the worst thing I had ever seen.

The album? I always liked it. Still do. Listened to it on Friday or Saturday for the first time in a while and still think it's a lot better than it's given credit for. Still Burnin' and Time to Shine are rubbish though!

In 08 things didn't seem to be quite the same in concert. They just seemed to be enjoying it less and there seemed to be less interaction on stage between them, especially Brian and Paul. Although maybe that's just something I've added into my memory with hindsight, I don't know. I really liked 'We Believe' but it did not go down well. There's that old joke about the worst thing to hear at a Rolling Stones concert is 'here's one from the new album' and it seemed to apply to Queen on this tour. No one knew the new songs. At all. Years later I would find out that my boss at that point was at the Glasgow gig and one day they brought in their pictures from it and we found we were both standing in the same spot. We must have been right next to each other, although it would be years until we properly met. Went out with her daughter for a months last year. That's got nothing to do with Queen though. Well, sort of did. I got her Live at the Rainbow for Christmas but broke up with her a couple days after Christmas so she gave me the CD back which I thought was a bit unnecessary but when Live at Rainbow came out I bought the Deluxe CD/DVD set and 4LP set so didn't actually have the 2xCD version so that was a bonus as I got to add that to my collection!

Remember feeling quite sad at the end of the London o2 concert as I thought that was very possibly the last time I'd ever see them. But seen them both lots of times since then, fortunately.

Overall, thought QPR was brilliant and it made me go and find out more about Paul and listen to some of his back catalogue. I enjoyed the QAL show I went to but I had no such compulsion to seek out Adam's albums.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 am

BitterTears wrote:

I absolutely lost it during Days of Our Lives when Freddie came on the screen. I think I spoke about this before on here because I mentioned that on the Sheffield DVD there's a girl crying at the exact same bit so I knew I wasn't crazy and someone one here said they were the guy standing next to her.

Yup, me!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 am

Jesus, I was still at school! I think I lied about having a university interview so I could leave early to get to Sheffield for 6...as I recall I didn't quite lie, I think I said to my chemistry teacher "I've applied for Sheffield and need to be there by 6pm". Two true but entirely unrelated facts. I didn't get into Sheffield anyway. Rejected without interview. Steel-welding male-stripper-loving poor-crowd-policing bastards. Had to settle for some uni set up by a bunch of rebels out in the Fens instead.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Fizzle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:20 pm

There was such a lack of promotion here, and I wasnt a QOL member quite yet. I found out one day before tickets went on sale for the nearest show. Being at the peak of full-blown obsession & never thinking I would have the chance to see any member of Queen live, the following conversation took place:

Me: "Moooooooommmmmmmmmm, OMG QUEEN!!!!

Mom: "What?"

Me: "HALF QUEEN! CLEVELAND! TICKETS! I HAVE TO GOOOOOO!"

Mom: Sigh.

And so it was, the following day we ordered tickets. Decent seats, too. 'Twas a dream come true for me, skipping school to travel five hours and see two of my idols. My friends and I attempted to dress as Freddie, Roger, and John in the Break Free video and failed miserably. :P Being seated in the arena I was thrilled to realize how close we were to the stage. After sitting in anticipation the lights dimmed and Eminem's Lose Yourself began to play, which I thought was so cool because it was unexpected and I love the song. Then the curtains flew back and there they were, Brian shredding away on the lady and I was a screaming mess for the next two hours! I still swear he looked right at me during Love of my Life.

The next day we toured the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an adventure which is chronicled in this book:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bohemia ... 0983471691

First chapter, first story. 8-)

I liked and still like The Cosmos Rocks. It's not classic Queen but it's a good album. The collaboration also made me a Rodgers fan.

A year or so later I joined queen.forum.parlophone.co.uk or whatever the hell it was then, and enjoyed reading the bickering in the QPR section. Little did I know of the bickering to come with a new collaboration in the years to come. :P

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Wannabee pseudo Tolkien-esque

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:32 pm

I went to the Q+PR show in '06 in Detroit, ended up going by myself actually, I couldnt find anyone I knew that wanted to go! It was totally worth the price of two tickets, though......

I wasnt really online at all around that time, but was in '05, so the setlist kinda came as a bit of surprise to me, some things at least! I was completely surprised by Dragon Attack and when I heard WWRY start, I was like, what, no All Right Now? Which followed immediately after, of course......

When I first heard of the whole Q+PR thing, I was immediately into it........as Paul was (and is) one of my favorite singers....totally different than my reaction to the news of a potential Q+AL collaboration......I went from 'oh NO, why?' to 'eh, he's ok' to 'I gotta see this' to 'Adam effin rules' :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Lemmy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:00 pm

I did take the piss a bit towards QPR, but did also know PR had earned his stripes with Free, Bad Company and The Firm. Great singer, but not for Queen songs. Well, not all Queen songs.
Seeing them in Antwerp in 2005 was great fun and money well spent.

However, as open as one is, I do look upon the QAL collaboration as more of a karaoke night. AL has a good control on his voice, but again, not Queen songs. But then... Queen songs are so deeply associated with Freddie, we will (in our majority) always suffer when anybody else sings them.

But yes, with time QPR is a good vintage.

Lemmy
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Just to add........my favorite moments from the Q+PR show......

During the 'Lose Yourself' intro when the Red Special cut into it and the audience erupted....

Bad Company playing with Paul playing piano emerging from under the stage :D

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby icy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Elessar, what do you think of Brian's solo then and now?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby KingOfRhye » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Hearing part of my favourite band were to tour in early 2005, then managing to get tickets for the Newcastle show in May '05 (where have those ten years gone??). Even forgot that they didn't do a Scottish date, which caused a but of a furore at the time. Terrific show, despite PRs voice problems (he seemed to go missing for half the show, even to BM's surprise for HTF and IWIA).

Getting half price Golden Circle tickets for Hyde Park show, to go to show with my dad, who hadn't seen BM and RT since Queen played Glasgow in 1975.

Terrific show in Glasgow '08. Bad Company was terrific!

KingOfRhye
Spread Your Wings

Postby Erin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:37 pm

I flew to the NJ show in '05 and went on a couple of very long road trips with my husband to 6 of the '06 shows. Good times! Detroit was my favorite show of the ones we saw. Excellent crowd! I met Queen friends along the way and had a blast. :)

Erin
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Honestly, it's all a bit of a blur to me! It's almost impossible to think that they toured twice! Did I go to both tours? I don't know, I think think so...I remember I went to Milan, that was a great show! Where was it that I met Elessar and the others...Manchester in some printworks place, I think? Then I saw PT at ...oh, heaven knows where it was. Wembley maybe? I did Brixton, I did more too, but I don't know where. :P

I was all for it at first, I helped loads of people get tickets with the pre-sale codes etc, then I hated it and we argued like crazy on here ...then I got into it, accepted that Freddie was untouchable...then that ridiculous, dreadful bloody album came out! Jesus, what a mess! Dancing to the 'Cosmos Rockin' was memorable at the O2 though with Elessar and Loretta, all getting completely drunk...yeah, that was cool.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:11 pm

fairydandy wrote:Honestly, it's all a bit of a blur to me! It's almost impossible to think that they toured twice! Did I go to both tours? I don't know, I think think so...I remember I went to Milan, that was a great show! Where was it that I met Elessar and the others...Manchester in some printworks place, I think? Then I saw PT at ...oh, heaven knows where it was. Wembley maybe? I did Brixton, I did more too, but I don't know where. :P

I was all for it at first, I helped loads of people get tickets with the pre-sale codes etc, then I hated it and we argued like crazy on here ...then I got into it, accepted that Freddie was untouchable...then that ridiculous, dreadful bloody album came out! Jesus, what a mess! Dancing to the 'Cosmos Rockin' was memorable at the O2 though with Elessar and Loretta, all getting completely drunk...yeah, that was cool.

We got told off by a bunch of nearby fans - little did they know we were QOL royalty!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Elessar wrote:We got told off by a bunch of nearby fans - little did they know we were QOL royalty!

Did we! :P I know it's not clever to get that drunk, but it was fun! They obviously didn't know who we were! :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Next

Return to Dear Friends