Queen + Paul Rodgers reunion? What if...

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Would you welcome Paul Rodgers back as frontman for Brian and Roger for new album and tours?

Bring it on, Paul!
34%
No, they should continue with Adam Lambert.
41%
None of the above/Not interested.
25%

Total votes : 44

Queen + Paul Rodgers reunion? What if...

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am

Rodgers offered his duties as lead singer for another couple of tours and a new studio album.
Would you prefer Brian and Roger having another go with Paul or would you like them to stick with Adam Lambert?

N.B. This is based on no information whatsoever. There is no indication that Rodgers wants to return to being the frontman for Brian and Roger.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers reunion? What if...

Postby CNB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:58 am

If Paul were to return, it would have to be after the upcoming tour in South America.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Mithril » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:47 pm

CNB wrote:If Paul were to return, it would have to be after the upcoming tour in South America.

This isn't a poll as to what should/will happen. Paul isn't returning. It's a 'who would you prefer fronting Queen - Lambert or Rogers' fantasy poll.
I promise I'll get off your lawn, Mister, as soon as I get my ball... And my frisbee... And my boomerang... And my cat... :P

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby Lester Burnham » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Paul by a metric fuckton.

Lester Burnham
We Will Rock You

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Mithril wrote:
CNB wrote:If Paul were to return, it would have to be after the upcoming tour in South America.

This isn't a poll as to what should/will happen. Paul isn't returning. It's a 'who would you prefer fronting Queen - Lambert or Rogers' fantasy poll.

Yes, a Rock n' Roll Fantasy poll :-D .
I really love the idea of Roger and Brian continuing with Paul and build on their Cosmos Rocks album and have a full-fledged QPR-tour without the usual Greatest Hits set. As they proved later on their last tour, the album material was working in a live environment (as long as Brian didn't sing and Paul didn't fuck up the lyrics, granted one of these things always happened). I preferred their raw bluesier approach to the music, even though that departs quite a lot from the sound Queen later became successful with. I think it would be a nice idea to tour as a supergroup rather than under the Queen+ name. They could all perform a couple of solo songs (Brian did play "Last Horizon" anyway), reduce the over the top light show to make it work financially and prove they are great musicians.
And yeah, I know this will not happen and I don't want to talk about logistics where and when this should happen.

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Montavilla » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Simon wrote: I think it would be a nice idea to tour as a supergroup rather than under the Queen+ name. They could all perform a couple of solo songs (Brian did play "Last Horizon" anyway), reduce the over the top light show to make it work financially and prove they are great musicians.

I think they've proved their mettle as great musicians. I think it's a fine idea, but I voted for continuing with Adam Lambert. It's not just because I'm his fan, and this gives me a reason to continue hanging out with you fine people.

I voted that way because it's obvious (to me) that Brian and Roger prefer doing their QAL thing. For whatever reason. Maybe because it lets them bring out the big lights and costumes (and Gigantor). Maybe because they can do a wider range of songs. Maybe because Adam is just more fun be stuck with in a small private plane.

If they are going to tour, it might as well be in a way that brings them joy. If, for whatever reason, that were the case with Paul (or anyone else other than Adam), I'd be behind it. Not that it matters much. I don't think they'd bring that to my neck of the woods. My town didn't turn out to QPR when it came, so I doubt they'll be coming back.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Lester Burnham wrote:Paul by a metric fuckton.

How do you convert that to standard fucktons? :lol:

I saw both "Queen+" incarnations and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I voted for Q+AL, but it's really not by much. I think they're both great singers, but I guess I like how with Adam, it's a bit more of a traditional "Queen" sound and they do more of the earlier Queen songs (NIH, Stone Cold Crazy, Killer Queen, and so forth)

Maybe I would have thought differently if I had seen Queen live multiple times in the 70s/80s....(I'd still like to hear some new stuff written for QAL, however unlikely that appears at the moment...)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby icy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Simon wrote:Rodgers offered his duties as lead singer for another couple of tours and a new studio album.
Would you prefer Brian and Roger having another go with Paul or would you like them to stick with Adam Lambert?

N.B. This is based on no information whatsoever. There is no indication that Rodgers wants to return to being the frontman for Brian and Roger.

Tours would be good, I'd be all for that if it were to happen with Paul. Studio album, not so much.
I've come to enjoy Q+AL in many regards. I don't want that to be the sole focus for the 3 of them. Thankfully, it isn't.
My hope is this, Brian and Roger doing shows with just the 2 of them, even if it meant it was done on a smaller scale.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Mithril » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:36 pm

icy wrote:
Simon wrote:Rodgers offered his duties as lead singer for another couple of tours and a new studio album.

Tours would be good, I'd be all for that if it were to happen with Paul. Studio album, not so much.
I've come to enjoy Q+AL in many regards. I don't want that to be the sole focus for the 3 of them. Thankfully, it isn't.
My hope is this, Brian and Roger doing shows with just the 2 of them, even if it meant it was done on a smaller scale.

Regretfully this will never happen. Well, I don't mean regretfully for me, but rather regretfully for you, as this sort of thing would bore the pants off me, and off Brian and Roger too, I suspect. They aren't and never have been a Hall and Oats duo, and it's obvious they have no intention of doing a 2-man band thing or they would have done so in the past two decades, rather than collaborating with others. There's really no such musical animal that's comprised of a guitarist and drummer and nothing else*. They both collaborate with others to play genres of music they like, but they can never replicate the Queen rock phenomenon with just the two of them, and they know it.

* Correction, there's the Black Keys, but the guitarist is also the frontman as well. And while both Brian and Rger are comfortable singing backup vocals and the occasional duet, neither of them are comfortable being the full-fledged, full-show frontman on their own.
I promise I'll get off your lawn, Mister, as soon as I get my ball... And my frisbee... And my boomerang... And my cat... :P

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Mithril wrote:
icy wrote:

Regretfully this will never happen. Well, I don't mean regretfully for me, but rather regretfully for you, as this sort of thing would bore the pants off me, and off Brian and Roger too, I suspect. They aren't and never have been a Hall and Oats duo, and it's obvious they have no intention of doing a 2-man band thing or they would have done so in the past two decades, rather than collaborating with others. There's really no such musical animal that's comprised of a guitarist and drummer and nothing else*. They both collaborate with others to play genres of music they like, but they can never replicate the Queen rock phenomenon with just the two of them, and they know it.

* Correction, there's the Black Keys, but the guitarist is also the frontman as well. And while both Brian and Rger are comfortable singing backup vocals and the occasional duet, neither of them are comfortable being the full-fledged, full-show frontman on their own.

They never tried it, so who knows if it will bore them? Yes I know it's unlikely it ever will happen. It's something I would have like to have seen happen since I became a Queen fan.
I never mentioned about my views that Brian and Roger ever could replicate Queen. Believe me, I know that's impossible ;) .
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Mithril » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:32 pm

icy wrote:
Mithril wrote:
icy wrote:Tours would be good, I'd be all for that if it were to happen with Paul. Studio album, not so much.

They never tried it, so who knows if it will bore them? Yes I know it's unlikely it ever will happen. It's something I would have like to have seen happen since I became a Queen fan.
I never mentioned about my views that Brian and Roger ever could replicate Queen. Believe me, I know that's impossible ;) .

Then what exactly do you envision them doing if they were to perform together, without other collaborators?

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby Simon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:37 pm

An unplugged project for example? Brian did one once, and it sounds quite alright.

phpBB [video]

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Mithril » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:58 pm

Simon wrote:An unplugged project for example? Brian did one once, and it sounds quite alright.

phpBB [video]

Unplugged is what he does with Kerry Ellis, too. I just don't see how this fits with a Brian/Roger, non-Queen collab, especially if intended for more than a one-off - as in a large, or even small tour.

I'm curious, because I have no idea myself, but are Queen fans a large percent of the attendees to Brian and Kelly's performances, and are these performances attended by large numbers? I'm pretty sure there are a healthy percent of Queen fans in attendance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 50% despite that. And it doesn't look to me like that particular collaboration is a huge draw. Obviously Brian does it because he likes working with Kerry, and certainly Brian likes working with Roger, but not enough to go the unplugged route. Or maybe it's simply Roger who has no interest in such a thing. Either way, it doesn't look likely to happen.

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby soxtalon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I would LOVE for this to happen to be honest. It would be a new avenue for them and it could invigorate them. Brian even said that doing the unplugged act with Kerry was very rewarding as he got to rearrange old songs in new ways.

Brian and Kerry's performances are decently attended in smaller venues admittedly.

I agree that it 99% most likely won't happen but it would be my second favorite thing for them to do currently (that doesn't involved archived worked). First I'd just love to see Brian and Roger do an album together. If they can do solo albums, then they could do a half and half. Half Brian songs/Half Roger songs but they collaborate on the recordings...Could be very well done.

There was a Queen VH1 Storytellers gig in the works back in 2001 which would have been similar to what we are talking about. I know Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins were supposedly going to guest but Taylor overdosed on heorin (IIRC) and then 9/11 happened and it never got rescheduled.

As far as the original post goes...To me the whole thing is not that black and white - there is so much to go into the thought process.

In these scenarios does going with Rodgers get us a new studio LP and Adam doesn't? I'd pick Paul in a heartbeat then because I still want to hear new music from May/Taylor. Does Adam? Then I'd probably choose Adam because I'd like to hear how that would sound in the studio.

I highly enjoyed Paul's take on the Queen stuff BUT on the other hand, I enjoy that with Adam it was all Queen. As much as I love Paul's work and no matter how much Brian/Roger enhanced it (imo) I'd still rather hear more Queen...and with that in mind, Adam also does give a broader amount of tracks to pull from.

I guess at the end of the day - whatever gets them going more and doing more work...is what I'm for. I would give Adam a further shot though - as I do think he improved as the collaboration went on and his newest album shows a bit more restraint if not much else (all in all it's good for what it is...but certainly not my cuppa)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby CNB » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:44 pm

Yes, a Rock n' Roll Fantasy poll :-D .
I really love the idea of Roger and Brian continuing with Paul and build on their Cosmos Rocks album and have a full-fledged QPR-tour without the usual Greatest Hits set. As they proved later on their last tour, the album material was working in a live environment (as long as Brian didn't sing and Paul didn't fuck up the lyrics, granted one of these things always happened). I preferred their raw bluesier approach to the music, even though that departs quite a lot from the sound Queen later became successful with. I think it would be a nice idea to tour as a supergroup rather than under the Queen+ name. They could all perform a couple of solo songs (Brian did play "Last Horizon" anyway), reduce the over the top light show to make it work financially and prove they are great musicians.
And yeah, I know this will not happen and I don't want to talk about logistics where and when this should happen.

Simon, if not Queen +, what name would you give such a "supergroup?"
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Next

Return to Dear Friends