Queen + Paul Rodgers reunion? What if...

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

Would you welcome Paul Rodgers back as frontman for Brian and Roger for new album and tours?

Bring it on, Paul!
33%
No, they should continue with Adam Lambert.
42%
None of the above/Not interested.
26%

Total votes : 43

Re: Queen + Paul Rodgers reunion? What if...

Postby icy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 am

Mithril wrote:Then what exactly do you envision them doing if they were to perform together, without other collaborators?

I thought I put that out there in my above posts.
Never say never I say. The last decade plus or so in Brian and Roger land has proved that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
I Want To Break Free

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Mithril » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:00 am

icy wrote:
Mithril wrote:Then what exactly do you envision them doing if they were to perform together, without other collaborators?

Never say never I say. The last decade plus or so in Brian and Roger land has proved that.

Here's what you said on page 1:

My hope is this, Brian and Roger doing shows with just the 2 of them, even if it meant it was done on a smaller scale.

You just say you'd like to see the 2 of them perform on a smaller scale. I was asking what sort of music you envision them doing. The above is not about any sort of music at all. What songs? Queen songs? The two with backing musicians waaay back/out of sight so they can do the Queen songs? Only acoustic Queen songs with no other musicians involved? Brian and/or Roger songs unrelated to Queen? Covers of other artists' songs? Brian and Roger doing all the singing? Harmonizing? Dueting?

And as to never saying never, generally a good sentiment, but I think it's pretty easy to speculate that since Freddie's been dead for almost a quarter of a century and B&R have collaborated with others but never together, with just the two of them, never is the far most likely result. The lack of them doing any such thing in the last two decades, coupled with the lack of them ever even mentioning it, puts the odds of such an event pretty close to zero imo.
I promise I'll get off your lawn, Mister, as soon as I get my ball... And my frisbee... And my boomerang... And my cat... :P

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 am

Mithril wrote:
icy wrote:

My hope is this, Brian and Roger doing shows with just the 2 of them, even if it meant it was done on a smaller scale.

You just say you'd like to see the 2 of them perform on a smaller scale. I was asking what sort of music you envision them doing. The above is not about any sort of music at all. What songs? Queen songs? The two with backing musicians waaay back/out of sight so they can do the Queen songs? Only acoustic Queen songs with no other musicians involved? Brian and/or Roger songs unrelated to Queen? Covers of other artists' songs? Brian and Roger doing all the singing? Harmonizing? Dueting?

And as to never saying never, generally a good sentiment, but I think it's pretty easy to speculate that since Freddie's been dead for almost a quarter of a century and B&R have collaborated with others but never together, with just the two of them, never is the far most likely result. The lack of them doing any such thing in the last two decades, coupled with the lack of them ever even mentioning it, puts the odds of such an event pretty close to zero imo.

Queen music and their solo music. Of course, they need others such as Spike to be a part of it, likely backing musicians/vocalists too.
Do the Queen catalogue of course. Some call for heavier things others not so much, but of course it would be up to Brian and Roger what to perform...and how. I would hope for a good mix of songs.
Put it this way. I never would've have thought a few years who Brian and Roger would ever tour again. Q+PR despite my qualms about the name Queen, made me happy. I had my qualms about Q+AL, I still have some, but I am willing to overlook those for the most part.
I know its wishful thinking maybe on my part, but I will never lose all hope that it just might happen.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Mithril » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:57 am

icy wrote:
Mithril wrote:
icy wrote:I thought I put that out there in my above posts.

Queen music and their solo music. Of course, they need others such as Spike to be a part of it, likely backing musicians/vocalists too.
Do the Queen catalogue of course. Some call for heavier things others not so much, but of course it would be up to Brian and Roger what to perform...and how. I would hope for a good mix of songs.
Put it this way. I never would've have thought a few years who Brian and Roger would ever tour again. Q+PR despite my qualms about the name Queen, made me happy. I had my qualms about Q+AL, I still have some, but I am willing to overlook those for the most part.
I know its wishful thinking maybe on my part, but I will never lose all hope that it just might happen.

What you've described is Q+PR and Q+AL and other collaborative stuff they've done under the Queen banner. How is that just B&R? And yes, if this is what you're looking for (i.e. Brian and Roger, along with Spike, some other backing musicians and a vocalist) then indeed you will see that - in Sept.
I promise I'll get off your lawn, Mister, as soon as I get my ball... And my frisbee... And my boomerang... And my cat... :P

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:51 am

Mithril wrote:
What you've described is Q+PR and Q+AL and other collaborative stuff they've done under the Queen banner. How is that just B&R? And yes, if this is what you're looking for (i.e. Brian and Roger, along with Spike, some other backing musicians and a vocalist) then indeed you will see that - in Sept.

Not quite. With the Q+PR and Q+AL shows, there was hardly a focus on the shows concerning the solo music from the 2.
I never said that Q+PR and Q+AL was just Brian and Roger. I'm stating what I would like to see.
AL as you know wasn't my first choice for Brian and Roger to tour with. What would I choose if I could? Brian and Roger shows. Even if smaller sets, venues, etc.
I'm willing to hopefully watch streams in, or at least listen to audio inSeptember. Or at least discuss it with others. I'm looking forward to it honestly. I hope the gimmicks are gone(vouch, spitting, and crown) and more changes to the set list. Las Palabras might be, could be very good. I'd love to hear Brian try that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
I Want To Break Free

Postby Mithril » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:19 am

icy wrote:
Mithril wrote:

Not quite. With the Q+PR and Q+AL shows, there was hardly a focus on the shows concerning the solo music from the 2.
I never said that Q+PR and Q+AL was just Brian and Roger. I'm stating what I would like to see.
AL as you know wasn't my first choice for Brian and Roger to tour with. What would I choose if I could? Brian and Roger shows. Even if smaller sets, venues, etc.
I'm willing to hopefully watch streams in, or at least listen to audio inSeptember. Or at least discuss it with others. I'm looking forward to it honestly. I hope the gimmicks are gone(vouch, spitting, and crown) and more changes to the set list. Las Palabras might be, could be very good. I'd love to hear Brian try that.

You said:

How is this not a description of Q+ (regardless of who the + is)?

Mithril
We Will Rock You

Postby Cosmos Rockster » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:45 am

Like many people, I've warmed to the Q+AL collaboration and I think the recent shows offer a better tracklist. However I was ecstatic when I first saw Q+PR in 2005...
It would be great if at some point they did a show with a pick of their best collaborators from the past: Paul Rodgers, singer from Keane (Tom Chapman?), George Michael, Elton, Foo Fighters... An epic celebration of Queen's music. They could even get Robert Plant to do Innuendo :P !
Deakie would also have to come out of retirement...

Cosmos Rockster
Spread Your Wings

Postby RPS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 am

"With Paul Rodgers Queen not only lacks the show element today but also his voice doesn’t fit as well with the songs as the completely different voice of Mercury did. Sometimes it works, like the songs “Tie your mother Down” and “A Kind of Magic”, but sometimes it doesn’t work at all." ;) ;)

from brianmay.com/queen/tour05/press/press_a.html

My opionion is the same...

RPS
Spread Your Wings

Postby action » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:50 am

not interested

nothing this band has done since 1995 was sincere

they arent in it for the music or the fans, they do it for the money 8)
You're wound up over nothing at all, you got to reel yourself back in

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby action » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:51 am

Cosmos Rockster wrote:Like many people, I've warmed to the Q+AL collaboration and I think the recent shows offer a better tracklist. However I was ecstatic when I first saw Q+PR in 2005...
It would be great if at some point they did a show with a pick of their best collaborators from the past: Paul Rodgers, singer from Keane (Tom Chapman?), George Michael, Elton, Foo Fighters... An epic celebration of Queen's music. They could even get Robert Plant to do Innuendo :P !
Deakie would also have to come out of retirement...

i have nothing but respect for deaky, who's the only one left having any kind of respect for queen's legacy

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby soxtalon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:17 pm

^^ Yeah because they certainly are in the poorhouse and need the money.

^ Except give the ok and sign off on everything they've done since then.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

action wrote:not interested

:roll:

Like the choice I voted for in your poll from a little while ago...."that crap again?"

Not like they obviously enjoy performing with Adam or anything.....oh wait....

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
action wrote:not interested

:roll:

Like the choice I voted for in your poll from a little while ago...."that crap again?"

Not like they obviously enjoy performing with Adam or anything.....oh wait....

Queen post 1995 is an ongoing nightmare

with the AL collaboration being an absolute abomination. it's a gay carnival extravaganza (which, granted, does have its audience), which has nothing to do with Queen at all (let alone rock n fucking roll).

*shakes head* no, no no.... this isnt the way to keep a legend alive

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 pm

action wrote:it's a gay carnival extravaganza

I....what? Just....what??? THAT again? Really? (the whole 'Adam's too gay for me' bit, or too 'flamboyant', or 'pushing his sexuality' or however you wanna term it)

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:56 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
action wrote:it's a gay carnival extravaganza

I....what? Just....what??? THAT again? Really? (the whole 'Adam's too gay for me' bit, or too 'flamboyant', or 'pushing his sexuality' or however you wanna term it)

the queen + AL collaboration is the musical equivalent of a gay carnival parade. it has no place in Queen's legacy.

i doubt people who frequent gay parades would be much entertained by these shows either. they are, as it were, a BAD gay parade with a serious lack of entertainment value.

why would brian and roger want to tour with a gay parade show? what does it have to do with rock & roll? what does this add to the legacy?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

PreviousNext

Return to Dear Friends