"Reaching Out" Studio Version

Discuss past Queen+ and related projects and collaborations.

"Reaching Out" Studio Version

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Until very recently, I never realised they did a studio version of "Reaching Out". I actually really like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0zXvTThbg
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: "Reaching Out" Studio Version

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm

They didn't - it's the charity single from 1996:

phpBB [video]
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Therapy

Wikipedia wrote:Rock Therapy was a 1996 one-off project consisting of Queen guitarist Brian May, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, plus a number of guest vocalists including Sam Brown, Andy Fairweather-Low, Paul Rodgers and Lulu. This was a 3-track charity CD issued in aid of the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Centre, which helps special needs children to communicate through the medium of music.

The song "Reaching Out" peaked at number 126 on the UK charts.[1] Queen + Paul Rodgers performed the song live during their 2005–2006 tour, and released four recordings: one on their 2005 double live album, Return of the Champions,[2] one on the single "Reaching Out/Tie Your Mother Down",[3] and two as download-only tracks.[4] The live version was sampled in 2009 by Eminem for the track "Beautiful" from his album Relapse.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby BitterTears » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 pm

It makes perfect sense they did but I still find it weird that busted it out on the first tour. Never expected it beforehand.

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

WeeMann wrote:They didn't - it's the charity single from 1996:

Yeah, I was actually aware - I didn't upload the video that credits it to Queen + Paul Rodgers.

Point being, I didn't know a studio version of it had ever been done. I thought the live version on the 2005 tour was the only time it had ever been played.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:24 pm

That's probably because it wasn't a massive hit.

Not many people know that Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover. Marc Bolan's girlfriend Gloria Jones had a minor hit with it in America. The fact that it had been a hit elsewhere seems to surprise people, but I'm not sure if anyone's at fault for that, or on the other hand, that it's particularly a revelation.

Obviously, someone in the band saw Reaching Out as a poignant opener, that the three of them shared in common, so stuck it in there.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Guru » Sat May 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Kes wrote:That's probably because it wasn't a massive hit.

Not many people know that Soft Cell's Tainted Love was a cover. Marc Bolan's girlfriend Gloria Jones had a minor hit with it in America. The fact that it had been a hit elsewhere seems to surprise people.

Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye is another example

Guru
The Show Must Go On

Erehwon

Postby AlexKx » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 am

It was a brilliant way to start their show on their comeback tour as QUEEN and in some ways for Paul Rodgers in some ways on some levels BUT musically and lyrically it is brilliant as it shares some thoughts on someone making a comeback! :onfire:

AlexKx
The Show Must Go On

Return to Dear Friends