2016 Freddie Mercury Release

Talk about their solo projects.

2016 Freddie Mercury Release

Postby QueenVault » Sun May 08, 2016 12:30 am

Greg Brooks mentioned on Queenzone that there will be a Freddie related release this year. He described it as "special" and it wouldn't disappoint. I don't really see what else they can do with Freddie's catalog. The Solo Collection was a fantastic set, so that won't be topped. They remixed Barcelona a few years ago with really nice results. Virgin/EMI is probably interested in getting a majority of Freddie's releases in print. So, what do we think it'll be?

I'm thinking there will be a vinyl Freddie release this year. Virgin EMI seem to put a lot of emphasis on vinyl releases and Mr. Bad Guy hasn't been on vinyl since the original 1985 release. So that's my vote. Any other ideas?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated February 16, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Re: 2016 Freddie Mercury Release

Postby soxtalon » Sun May 08, 2016 3:38 am

You are probably right imo. Won't matter to me unfortunately...not a vinyl guy.

There may be a full re-release of Bad Guy - CD as well.

Maybe another possibility could be a single cd collection collecting all his non-album work...Love Kills, Great Pretender, the Time stuff, Hold On, some of the collaborations, maybe some unreleased stuff...maybe the Queen only version of TMBMTLTT....just throwing stuff out there maybe some remixes. I'd love to just quietly see Brian and Roger do another MBG track....

What I'm really hoping for is whatever it is has some bonus material - like the live Dominion performance or the like.

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm very interested to see what Greg is talking about because there's not much that could be too interesting to me. Everything is already out there more or less. Maybe the demo of All God's People that was going onto the 'upcoming' Queen anthology...or maybe a new remix of Love Kills?!

But in seriousness, it does feel like everything is already out there and has already been re-re-released before so if this is worth getting excited about, I can't wait

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby WeeMann » Sun May 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Based on what's out there already, I can only assume it's an expanded edition of Mr Bad Guy, possibly including the various non-album tracks.

Beyond this, a re-working of The Freddie Mercury Album. God help us.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby DREAMASTER » Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Was I right about the releases for this year? ;)

I wouldn't mind a remix o MBG álbum. The original mix is not very good.
I'm Back to the 3rd Round.
Bring It On.

DREAMASTER
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon May 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Unless it's a new remix project of some kind I can't imagine it'll be anything that isn't on the Solo box set.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby jjmillenium » Wed May 11, 2016 6:56 pm

on a spanish fan facebook, a fan that have some contact with Virgin says that the release will be a expanded version of FM Solo Collection, as the original is out of print. Let's see

jjmillenium
Spread Your Wings

Postby QueenVault » Thu May 12, 2016 1:51 am

Wow, an expanded version of the Solo Collection? I do think the FM Solo Collection is the best Queen related release in terms of content. So.. what would they add to it? A few guesses...
- The new remixes from the Lover of Life, Singer of Songs 2 CD set.
- A few single/extended mixes that were not included on the original box set... Possibilities include:
- Made In Heaven (7" Remix) --> never released on CD/digital
- Foolin' Around (Teachers Soundtrack Mix)
- Living On My Own (Orignal 1985 Single Mix) --> never released on CD/digital
- Living on My Own (1985 US Extended Remix) --> never released on CD/digital
- Various vinyl only LOMO 1993 remixes
- Various Love Kills unreleased mixes (Jazzy, Symphony, etc)
- Some Barcelona edits (TV Version, etc)

I would assume The Untold Story would be replaced by The Great Pretender documentary since Queen and DoRo aren't really a thing anymore (for various reasons). I wonder if the new version of the Barcelona album will replace the original?
http://www.QueenVault.com
Updated February 16, 2017

QueenVault
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 am

A new version of the Solo set with just a few extra songs would be a bit of a slap in the face to the people who shelled out on the original.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 am

Why would it be a slap in the face? It was quite a long time ago it came out, might as well give other people a chance to have it. And we'll still have the original boxset.

I imagine it would be a new version of the 2 or 3 CD set though. Is there really much demand for a new 12 disc set? Can't imagine anyone other than collectors would buy it

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Thu May 12, 2016 11:48 am

BitterTears wrote:Why would it be a slap in the face?

Because expecting people who already shelled out a decent amount of cash on such a big, exclusive set to shell out for yet another big, exclusive set just to get three or four new tracks would be taking the piss.

BitterTears wrote:I imagine it would be a new version of the 2 or 3 CD set though.

Something like this would be much less crass.

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby BitterTears » Thu May 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Could you argue the other side of the coin that no point in hoarding some unreleased material so no one gets to have it rather than risk upsetting some people who bought a (admittedly expensive) boxset best part of 2 decades ago?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby Guru » Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 pm

BitterTears wrote:Why would it be a slap in the face? It was quite a long time ago it came out, might as well give other people a chance to have it. And we'll still have the original boxset.

I imagine it would be a new version of the 2 or 3 CD set though. Is there really much demand for a new 12 disc set? Can't imagine anyone other than collectors would buy it

Because they actively chose to exclude some of that material from the last version.

I paid £90 for that box, how could anyone justify asking me to pay another £90 for the same again with another disc added? It's not like they'd correct the errors in the text, is it?

Guru
We Will Rock You

Erehwon

Postby Guru » Thu May 12, 2016 10:24 pm

BitterTears wrote:Could you argue the other side of the coin that no point in hoarding some unreleased material so no one gets to have it rather than risk upsetting some people who bought a (admittedly expensive) boxset best part of 2 decades ago?

None of the theorised material above is unreleased. In fact, I think I own it all...if I'm allowed to include some old vinyl.

Guru
We Will Rock You

Erehwon

Postby BitterTears » Fri May 13, 2016 7:58 am

If you already own it all already then how are you being forced to buy a new expensive boxset just for a couple extra tracks that weren't on the original boxset?

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to There Can Be Only One