Freddie solo

Talk about their solo projects.

Freddie solo

Postby TheHero » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:06 pm

Do you think Freddie was inspired by the upcoming solo stars of the 80s, like: Boy George, George Michael and Michael Jackson?

I got a feeling that he believed he could do solo, but then decided to go on with Queen. Maybe I am wrong, but the production of some of his solo songs hasn't got the same quality soundwise as George Michael or Michael Jacksons megahits.

I think both Michael Jackson and George Michael worked with some great musicians on their solo albums.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Freddie solo

Postby Kes » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:14 am

I don't think it was ever any more than testing the water, or somewhere to put some his stuff that either wasn't deemed good enough, or "right" for Queen. Much the same as Roger did before him.

The story goes, that the main reason he got Jim Beach to canvass other record companies for Mr Bad Guy, and settle on CBS, was that EMI wanted to promote him as "Freddie Mercury - Lead singer of Queen", and the sheer fact EMI wanted the name Queen anywhere near his solo product, fucked him off SO much, he made up his mind that they weren't getting it.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby TheHero » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:45 am

Aha, that explains some of it, because he did not want to be "the leader" of the band, and he did not want his solo work to be associated with Queen. But still, I got a feeling that the production was a bit like; it is good enough, so why try harder? Maybe all the perfectionism on the Queen albums made him want to have more fun with his solo project, just a thought.. until the Barcelona album, which has a very high quality production. Maybe if he did not get the illness, we would see the best solo album coming in the 90s...

I also wonder what kind of Queen albums we would get in the 90s if Freddie was not ill at all.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby m.j.godley » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:37 am

If Freddie was not ill then I am guessing that some of the tracks from Back to the Light, Another World, Electric Fire and Happiness would have been Queen tracks with Freddie lead vocals.

m.j.godley
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Quite likely. Though like with Cosmos Rocks, and Brian not putting Dangerland forward, you never know what Brian and Roger would have brought to the band.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:38 pm

m.j.godley wrote:If Freddie was not ill then I am guessing that some of the tracks from Back to the Light, Another World, Electric Fire and Happiness would have been Queen tracks with Freddie lead vocals.

Possibly even some Cross tracks....I recall reading somewhere that New Dark Ages was originally intended as a Queen song.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:28 pm

The rumour I heard was that John protested quite heavily that the lyrics weren't suitable to put in front of Freddie to consider singing them.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby soxtalon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Which would be ironic considering they demoed Too Much Love Will Kill You......:P

(And yes I realize that by all accounts the band didn't know then what they did by New Dark Ages...
And yes I realize that TMLWKY is NOT really about AIDS)

soxtalon
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to There Can Be Only One