Roger Taylor - World Record performance

Talk about their solo projects.

Roger Taylor - World Record performance

Postby TheHero » Sun May 14, 2017 12:01 pm

phpBB [video]

QUEEN - Official Youtube Channel:

Roger Taylor - Live at the Cyberbarn - Full Show - Revisited 2014

This one-off concert took place on Thursday 24th September 1998 in a barn in Roger's garden in Surrey. It was streamed live on the internet for fans worldwide to see and hear Roger performing ten songs to promote the new 'Electric Fire' album.

Roger and his new band played to an audience of friends, family and invited guests - including Virgin radio. DJ Russ Williams introduced the band.

After the gig Roger was presented with a certificate from the Guinness Book Of Records, as this performance drew the largest audience ever for an internet gig; 595,000 worldwide hits.

This is a complete remastered version of the entire show, and is exclusive to this channel.
Last edited by TheHero on Sun May 14, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Roger Taylor - World Record performance 98

Postby TheHero » Sun May 14, 2017 12:03 pm

It is a very good concert this one, and far too many people aren't familiar with it, which is amazing really.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby BitterTears » Sun May 14, 2017 12:19 pm

They released a VHS 'Live at the Cyberbarn' which I bought at the time but was disappointingly more a documentary and just had snippets of the performance.

Obviously an old person thing to say but isn't it amazing that less than 20 years ago the idea of live streaming on the internet so someone anywhere in the world could watch blew our minds. Now we don't just watch, we pull our £100 smart phone out our pocket and click through 'live' button and anyone can stream what they are doing for anyone to see.

Even today though, 600000 people isn't too bad. I don't remember the number being so high. This was back in the days of dial up, of course. Wifi hadn't even been invented!

BitterTears
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 pm

BitterTears wrote:

Obviously an old person thing to say but isn't it amazing that less than 20 years ago the idea of live streaming on the internet so someone anywhere in the world could watch blew our minds. Now we don't just watch, we pull our £100 smart phone out our pocket and click through 'live' button and anyone can stream what they are doing for anyone to see.

Even today though, 600000 people isn't too bad. I don't remember the number being so high. This was back in the days of dial up, of course. Wifi hadn't even been invented!

Yes, it is bloody amazing. This concert is epic, the starting point of the internet streaming, and after all these years, nearly 20 years now, the sound and picture quality is superb! And they all perform perfect, vocally and instrumentally.

That is why I recommend anyone who hasn't seen this, to watch the concert here in it's complete form.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Roger Taylor - World Record performance

Postby sbrown » Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 pm

TheHero wrote:After the gig Roger was presented with a certificate from the Guinness Book Of Records, as this performance drew the largest audience ever for an internet gig; 595,000 worldwide hits.

yeah. I tried streaming it back in the day. I'm pretty sure it was 595 people hitting it 1000 times each because the bloody thing dropped out ever 8 seconds.
I seem to remember IBM's name plastered all over it and thinking it was an awful advertisement for them.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby eiricd » Sun May 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Remember I tried to watch it, but my connection failed.
Good gig, and the complete should have been a part of "The Lot"

Didn't McCartney smash this record later the same year with a live stream from the cavern?

eiricd
The Show Must Go On

Postby TheHero » Sun May 14, 2017 9:15 pm

The thing about Electric Fire is that it keeps getting better each time I find the time to take a listen to it.
It has stood the test of time extremely well I think. Songs like Pressure On and C'mon On Down (to London town) are among my favorite Taylor songs.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sbrown » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 am

TheHero wrote:The thing about Electric Fire is that it keeps getting better each time I find the time to take a listen to it.

I find myself thinking that he really found a magnificent drum sound on that album, and wish he'd had the opportunity to use it on a Queen album.

sbrown
Spread Your Wings

Postby TheHero » Mon May 15, 2017 7:20 pm

sbrown wrote:
TheHero wrote:The thing about Electric Fire is that it keeps getting better each time I find the time to take a listen to it.

I find myself thinking that he really found a magnificent drum sound on that album, and wish he'd had the opportunity to use it on a Queen album.

And I wish he did make more solo albums after 1998 and toured Europe, smaller venues, playing
both solo material and Queen songs. Roger Taylor band; I would go see them.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Jimi » Thu May 25, 2017 9:12 am

I did see him many times and he was stupendous. Always
Electric Fire is a very very good album.
Just get rid of People on Streets and its sorted.
Yes I agree the drum sound is great. It was pretty awesome on Happiness? too.
Shame he didn't put out more really.
The last offering is pretty mixed,

Jimi
Spread Your Wings

Return to There Can Be Only One