Split from Mother Love - Freddie Mercury's last recording.

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: Split from Mother Love - Freddie Mercury's last recordi

Postby icy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:29 pm

As long as it isn't Freddy
;-).
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby sebastian » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Or Phredi uwu
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

Imagine being ridiculed on here, on youtube and on queenzone, for calling freddie, "frederick" and still marching on

try acting that way in real life and see what happens.

I really hope sebastian is trolling, because if he's serious he's lacking some essential social understanding
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

What's in a name?

Postby Kes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

Being fair. A few of his close friends used to call him "Mel", short for Melina, but NOBODY ever calls him that here, do they?

Apparently, Freddie was a bit like a mother to his friends. If he ever used your proper full first name, you were probably in the shit for something you'd either said, or done. :)
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:05 pm

action wrote:Imagine being ridiculed on here, on youtube and on queenzone, for calling freddie, "frederick" and still marching on

Because I'm not doing anything wrong, so there's no reason why I should stop. By the way, I'm not being ridiculed - some people are attempting to force me to change how I write Frederick's name, and failing, because they've got nothing!

action wrote:try acting that way in real life and see what happens.

That's the point: in real life, most people don't care. I say 'Frederick' and they carry on, and they don't make a fuss. Most people on QZ, QOL and YT don't either - it's just a few, only that those few are so loud about it.
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Broooklyn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:37 pm

sebastian wrote:
... and failing, because they've got nothing!

You are absolutely delusional, if you truly believe this. I am not going to go into detail about this, because you have already made up your mind completely in regards to this matter, but just understand, from where I personally stand, you are utterly mistaken about this. I understand that you will defend your side and lay out all of the repetitive examples yet again, but to actually believe that others have nothing is preposterous at best.

*Leaves a "How" and a spare "?" behind in the corner along with a sign that reads "Free to Use*

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Postby action » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

sebastian wrote:
action wrote:Imagine being ridiculed on here, on youtube and on queenzone, for calling freddie, "frederick" and still marching on

Because I'm not doing anything wrong, so there's no reason why I should stop. By the way, I'm not being ridiculed - some people are attempting to force me to change how I write Frederick's name, and failing, because they've got nothing!

action wrote:try acting that way in real life and see what happens.

That's the point: in real life, most people don't care. I say 'Frederick' and they carry on, and they don't make a fuss. Most people on QZ, QOL and YT don't either - it's just a few, only that those few are so loud about it.

Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm

I didn't quite anticipate kicking off such a shitstorm when I asked the original question... I just think calling him Frederick when every man and his dog knows him as Freddie is a bit weird. To me, it comes across as either attention-seeking or like you're trying to imply you know him better than everyone else.

It'd be like going on an Elton John forum and incessantly referring to him as Reginald in every post you make. Sure, it might be technically accurate, but that doesn't make it any less strange.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:24 pm

Broooklyn wrote:just understand, from where I personally stand, you are utterly mistaken about this.

If I were trying to stop people from calling him 'Freddie' or 'Fred' I'd be completely delusional. I'm not saying you cannot call him 'Freddie' or 'Fred' (not once have I moaned about anyone doing so), I'm saying I'm entitled to use someone's name when speaking about that person, be it the full form (Frederick, Brian, John and Roger, in the case of the Queen members) or short (Freddie/Fred, Bri/Hal, Jack, Rog).

Leigh Burne wrote:I just think calling him Frederick when every man and his dog knows him as Freddie is a bit weird. To me, it comes across as either attention-seeking or like you're trying to imply you know him better than everyone else.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not doing it for attention - I do it because I tend to refer to people by the long form of their names. So those who go by 'Chuck' I call them 'Charles', etc. And I've never said or implied to have known Frederick better than anyone - and that point would be completely irrelevant anyway: you can call him 'Frederick' without being close to him. Case in point: I never met him, and I call him 'Frederick'. I never met Charles Darwin either, but I refer to him as 'Charles' rather than 'Chuck'.

Leigh Burne wrote:It'd be like going on an Elton John forum and incessantly referring to him as Reginald in every post you make. Sure, it might be technically accurate, but that doesn't make it any less strange.

And if I go to an Elton John forum and see someone saying 'Reginald this, Reginal that', I'll just ignore that person, because they're not harming me (or Elton) in any way.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Broooklyn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:45 pm

sebastian wrote:
Broooklyn wrote:just understand, from where I personally stand, you are utterly mistaken about this.

...I'm saying I'm entitled...

*Surveys the room, and walks towards the corner*

Well, as expected Watson, neither the "How" nor the "?" have even been touched.

*Reads the note left behind*

Well Watson, we did not even need this particular evidence left by Sebastian, but it surely will not hinder the case.

*Focuses back at the corner*

Watson, grab the untouched question mark for me if you will please, I will need you to use it shortly on my...mark.

*Looks at his notes and checks a box*

Well Watson, unsurprisingly I believe we have a clear case of superciliousness here, wouldn't you...*motions toward Watson*...say?

Nicely placed Watson ole chap. Nicely placed. Now, Watson, if you will, place the shovel in the corner, if you please.

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm entitled to call him 'Frederick' or 'Freddie' or 'Fred' or 'Mr Mercury' the same way anybody else is. I'm not trying to force anyone to call him 'Frederick' (because that, in fact, would be mistaken and pointless), I'm merely defending my right to call him that way. Same if you, or anybody else for that matter, decides to call the guitarist 'Harold' (it's also technically correct) or 'Dr May' or 'Dr Hal May, CBE' - I don't do it myself, but I don't mind if someone else does it.

That's the way I'm entitled, as is everyone else.

'Frederick' is not an insult - it was his name. It's not dismissive, it's not offensive, and it's not in any way a claim of having been close to him (in fact, I never met Frederick).

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm

sebastian wrote:For the umpteenth time, I'm not doing it for attention.

I didn't say you were. I just said that's the impression it gives off to me.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Which is why it's better to ask. You haven't asked, but there it is again: I'm not doing it for attention. I'm doing it because I like to refer to everyone by the long form of their name for the sake of consistency. If I say 'Brian' instead of 'Bri', I say 'David' instead of 'Dave'; if I say 'Roger' instead of 'Rog', I say 'Frederick' instead of 'Fred' and 'Charles' instead of 'Charlie' or 'Chuck'... or 'Chucky', regardless of whether or not I 'wanna play.'

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Leigh Burne wrote:
sebastian wrote:For the umpteenth time, I'm not doing it for attention.

I didn't say you were. I just said that's the impression it gives off to me.

I'll say it. He's doing it for attention. :roll: It's a clear case of 'look at me' and all the denials in the world ain't going to stop us all thinking it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Therefore you're claiming some sort of closeness that isn't there. I'm doing it for consistency with the way I call others. You can use your imagination if you want, but it's not gonna change the truth.

If you, however, genuinely think I'm doing it for attention, then the best course of action is not giving it to me. Not even pointing out that I'm calling him 'Frederick'.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken