Share Some News

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: Share Some News

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:43 pm

I met the poster formerly known as Queen Mum today, along with her kids. All doing very well. That is all.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby WeeMann » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Elessar wrote:I met the poster formerly known as Queen Mum today, along with her kids. All doing very well. That is all.

Up near their neck of the woods? If so you wouldn't have been far from mine, although I'm at my parente' this week.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm

WeeMann wrote:
Elessar wrote:I met the poster formerly known as Queen Mum today, along with her kids. All doing very well. That is all.

Up near their neck of the woods? If so you wouldn't have been far from mine, although I'm at my parente' this week.

I have no car so have to cycle everywhere at the moment, so ‘not far’ is a relative term!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:28 am

Elessar wrote:I have no car

needs more BMW

Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:23 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:I have no car

needs more BMW

My third BMW died around 2 months ago (RIP Elessar’s third BMW). It was 17 years old and worth next to nothing, so made no sense to replace it given my impending Hard Brexit (Brexit means Brexit). I spent most of yesterday evening trying to undo the pedals on my bike, and then woke up early because I couldn’t sleep with it on my mind and it’s being shipped to Middle-earth this afternoon. Still couldn’t get the bastards off but managed to fit it in the bike box with skill and guile (just no strength and/or tools to generate the necessary leverage/torque). All done now though.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 am

Elessar wrote:My third BMW died around 2 months ago (RIP Elessar’s third BMW). It was 17 years old and worth next to nothing, so made no sense to replace it

17 years is very old for a BMW. I'm crossing my fingers I'll go 10 years.

the car is 1 year old and has 17000 km on the counter (BMW premium selection). it's a black 318 berline. it runs like a dream but these cars are known to be money pits. if you want to be a BMW driver, be prepared to pay lots of cash on top of the sellng price, on various nuts and bolts. but I'm sure you already knew that.

BMW's are for the big boys. 8)

and I have to ask, did the BMW get you lots of attention from hots chicks? any heroic stories to tell in that department? :P

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:31 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:My third BMW died around 2 months ago (RIP Elessar’s third BMW). It was 17 years old and worth next to nothing, so made no sense to replace it

17 years is very old for a BMW. I'm crossing my fingers I'll go 10 years.

the car is 1 year old and has 17000 km on the counter (BMW premium selection). it's a black 318 berline. it runs like a dream but these cars are known to be money pits. if you want to be a BMW driver, be prepared to pay lots of cash on top of the sellng price, on various nuts and bolts. but I'm sure you already knew that.

BMW's are for the big boys. 8)

and I have to ask, did the BMW get you lots of attention from hots chicks? any heroic stories to tell in that department? :P

I had a 318 which lasted a year, a 316 which lasted 2 years, and then a 525 which lasted 2 years. All were around 15 years old when I bought them for under £1000, and all had done well in excess of 100,000 miles. The most recent had done about 160,000.

As for hot chicks - no. But I don’t drive to a 1980s American high school so the chicks don’t really see my wheels.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Elessar wrote:I spent most of yesterday evening trying to undo the pedals on my bike, and then woke up early because I couldn’t sleep with it on my mind and it’s being shipped to Middle-earth this afternoon. Still couldn’t get the bastards off but managed to fit it in the bike box with skill and guile (just no strength and/or tools to generate the necessary leverage/torque). All done now though.

I know that feeling! They can be really difficult to get off, especially if they haven't been fitted using copper grease or similar. You could have bought a crank extractor like this and taken the complete crank off...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malayas-Bicycl ... ycle&psc=1

You do know that pedals have one reverse thread right? Essentially they both tighten towards the front of the bike and untighten towards the rear.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:59 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Elessar wrote:I spent most of yesterday evening trying to undo the pedals on my bike, and then woke up early because I couldn’t sleep with it on my mind and it’s being shipped to Middle-earth this afternoon. Still couldn’t get the bastards off but managed to fit it in the bike box with skill and guile (just no strength and/or tools to generate the necessary leverage/torque). All done now though.

I know that feeling! They can be really difficult to get off, especially if they haven't been fitted using copper grease or similar. You could have bought a crank extractor like this and taken the complete crank off...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Malayas-Bicycl ... ycle&psc=1

You do know that pedals have one reverse thread right? Essentially they both tighten towards the front of the bike and untighten towards the rear.

Yup. I tried every trick I could think of or find online. I think what I really need is an appropriate spanner and appropriate Allen key with a huge amount of leverage. It’s fine though, I took the handlebars off and it snugly fits in the box. It’ll arrive with two pedal sized holes in the side having been abused by Chinese handlers some time in early October, but what can you do.

I checked the thread thing but it seemed so obvious to me that they’d be mirror images of each other, otherwise when you pedalled you’d be loosening the left one. What that means of course is those pedals have been tightened over around 3000 miles. They ain’t never coming off - Brexit means Brexit.
Attachments
56A7ECA8-42D9-4561-A387-10BC290FB14B.jpeg

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 pm

should you come across this car, please do not put scratches on the lacquer with your car keys. I know, you can't buy this car since you failed at life, but that shouldn't mean you should damage the property of those that are smarter than you. like me. thank you for your coöperation, and make way so I can hit the gas pedal 8)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice enough car action, but a bit slow. I'll wave at you as you disappear in the rear view mirror. ;)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:41 pm

Action, I previously had absolutely no desire to key your car, but now I kinda want to after reading your post.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:05 pm

fairydandy wrote:Nice enough car action, but a bit slow. I'll wave at you as you disappear in the rear view mirror. ;)

it's a 318i, 3 cilinder 8-)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:06 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Action, I previously had absolutely no desire to key your car, but now I kinda want to after reading your post.

don't forget to wave at my rear and front dashcam 8-)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 pm

action wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Nice enough car action, but a bit slow. I'll wave at you as you disappear in the rear view mirror. ;)

it's a 318i, 3 cilinder 8-)

A sewing machine.... :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken