The QOL Technical Support Thread

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

The QOL Technical Support Thread

Postby WeeMann » Mon May 10, 2010 7:36 am

Looks like we haven't started a new thread on this board, so here goes.

Post in here if you're having difficulties on a technical level and other members will offer their help.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread

Postby WeeMann » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 am

I'll go first.

Over the last week or so I've started having trouble with Microsoft Outlook. I run Office 2000 and last week Outlook closed with the standard "Outlook has encountered a problem and has to close" message. Each time I tried to restart it it closed again immediately.

After a couple of days I tried the System Restore function, which worked. For about 2 days, before it started again.

The same happened again over the weekend and I restored again last night.

I've done full virus checks (I use AVG) and I've run full Ad-Aware scans and nothing has been found.

Anyone come across this problem before or have any ideas what may have happened?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby Broooklyn » Mon May 10, 2010 6:14 pm

:inlove:
ImageImageImage

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby WeeMann » Wed May 12, 2010 7:43 am

Ok, now my PC's gone up the shitter.

It froze yesterday (it has done this randomly for some time with no ill effects) so I shut it down and tried to restart, but after going through the initial booting screen (where it recognises the various drives etc) it comes up with a message:

The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?

Underneath it gives two options, with the first highlighted

Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
Continue with system restart

At this screen it's frozen and won't allow me to select an option. I can access the BIOS and Boot menus, but this is all it is allowing me to do at the mo.

Help? Please??

WeeMann

Postby Bristol Lass » Fri May 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Have you tried opening it in safe mode, (tap F8 lots when it is loading, sorry if this is grandmother and sucking eggs :lol: ) then seeing what the problem is
:) :)

Bristol Lass
Spread Your Wings

Lurking!

Postby WeeMann » Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Sorry, meant to update this. I got it sorted. No, it wouldn't even go to safe mode, but it turned out that it was a setting that my mate and I had changed in the BIOS to try to get my USB 2 working a while back. As a result it wouldn't detect the keyboard, so wouldn't allow me to select the startup method.

WeeMann

Postby Bad Guy » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 am

Having a slight problem with my laptop, it keeps heating up and swicthing itself off. It is about 15 months old and when I use it I always make sure I sit with it in a way that the fans underneath aren't where my legs are so that air is getting in to cool it down, but recently it has started heating up quite badly and swicthing itself off. It is heating up that much that the touchpad is warm to touch aswell.

It works fine when it is on but I am scared incase I end up frying the hard drive and losing everything! I have gotten to the stage that when I am not using it, I have it lying upside down so that the screen bit is lying flat and plenty of air is getting into the vents. This cools it down but it heats up almost instantly as soon as I switch it on.

I was thinking of opening it up to see if there is something jammed inside the fan or something which is causing it to not work as well, but I don't wanna ruin the whole thing completely.

Any ideas apart from take it back to the shop and get it seen to, and buy a stand for it? :P

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bijou » Mon May 24, 2010 1:40 am

My laptop is exactly the same. I'm trying to save videos on Movie Maker at the moment and it infuriatingly heats up and turns itself off. Which also means I have to keep logging on to here because it logs me out for some reason.

The fan is underneath, which seems stupid to me so I have to hold it up slightly but it still turns off and the touchpad is hot to touch too. I don't even need to be on it very long and it will be scorching.

Bijou
We Will Rock You

Postby Bad Guy » Mon May 24, 2010 1:46 am

Bijou wrote:My laptop is exactly the same. I'm trying to save videos on Movie Maker at the moment and it infuriatingly heats up and turns itself off. Which also means I have to keep logging on to here because it logs me out for some reason.

The fan is underneath, which seems stupid to me so I have to hold it up slightly but it still turns off and the touchpad is hot to touch too. I don't even need to be on it very long and it will be scorching.

Yeah you would think that the fans would be at the side or something, pretty daft having them underneath. I am the same, every time I feel it heating up, I tilt it away from me a bit so that some air can get into the fans. Doesn't seem to work though!

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bijou » Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 am

No. :sad: As I'm typing now, the keys are very hot. Like I said trying to make things on Movie Maker, it will be about 75% saved after 30 odd minutes and then it just goes off.

Bijou
We Will Rock You

Postby Ian-Highlander » Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 am

Very very common for laptops to get filled with dust and crap between the fan and the heat exchanger. Because most laptops have that stupid design where the intake fan is underneath and it sucks in fluff and dust from blankets, trousers, duvets or whatever it's being used on.

Depending on the model, it's usually as simple as removing the keyboard (again dependant on model but usually only a couple of screws underneath and a few clips), the removing the wad of disgusting dust and crap that's built up infront of the fan and then give it a good spray with an air duster.

Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One

There Can Be Only One

I was born with nothing and I've got most of it left...

Postby PTRACER » Mon May 24, 2010 1:56 pm

Having done that repair myself dozens of times, I'm afraid to say it's rarely as simple as removing the keyboard...I did one here yesterday in two hours, I had to strip everything off of the laptop and remove the motherboard to get the fan and heatsink. Also repasted the processor with new thermal paste, which helps as much as cleaning out the fans.

You really should take it to an independent computer repair shop and be willing to pay up to £100 for them to do it. Or take it to PC World and expect to pay 2 to 2.5 times that.

PTRACER

Postby Ian-Highlander » Mon May 24, 2010 2:40 pm

As I said, it does depend entirely on the make and model of laptop. Almost all HP and Dell laptops it IS that simple and some of the Acer and Sony ones too, I know I do them day in, day out every day of my life. ;)

On most you don't need to touch the processor at all, you move the fan assembly out of the way (which is not linked to the processor in any way) and clean the crap between the fan and the heatsink which is on a remote heatpipe coming from the processor. It's rarely needed (although I agree it is occasionally) to remove the heatsink from the processor at all.

If I get time later I'll strip a couple of the hundreds of laptops here apart, take some pics and show what I mean.

Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One

There Can Be Only One

I was born with nothing and I've got most of it left...

Postby Bad Guy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5735z, if that helps! I am not very technical minded so taking this thing apart myself is something I don't fancy doing. But saying that I don't have the cash to pay someone to do it for me!!

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby Bijou » Mon May 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Same here. Mine is an Acer too but that's all I know. :lol:

Bijou
We Will Rock You

Next

Return to Fried Chicken