The QOL Technical Support Thread

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 am

also, if it's me running the show, vista 64 stays. not planning on buying all new printers, software and throwing my old games in the trash, just to have a new windows that can do jack shit, and probably will be confusing as hell :roll:

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 am

..oh and resetting the drivers can be interesting, but as long as you can get online on another machine, you can get anything you need from the manufacturers websites. Normally they should all reload ok though.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:33 am

fairydandy wrote:Hi action...well, I am not expert, but I have done many successful reformats of the hard drive. Essentially it will be like new afterwards, but beware, you will lose everything, so back up essential files...but it's fun. :P

Usually these days, you just boot up with the dvd that came with the pc in the drive and from there you just select reset, or whatever.

yeah, i really believe you its much fun, but it's already way over my head so that's that :P

thus starts my search for the nearest scalping computer expert to do the job for me. i expect to overpay, but i figure it will cost me less than buying a new computer than can do jack shit 8)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 am

action wrote:
fairydandy wrote:Hi action...well, I am not expert, but I have done many successful reformats of the hard drive. Essentially it will be like new afterwards, but beware, you will lose everything, so back up essential files...but it's fun. :P

Usually these days, you just boot up with the dvd that came with the pc in the drive and from there you just select reset, or whatever.

yeah, i really believe you its much fun, but it's already way over my head so that's that :P

thus starts my search for the nearest scalping computer expert to do the job for me. i expect to overpay, but i figure it will cost me less than buying a new computer than can do jack shit 8)

NO!! Everything you need can be found via Google! I would never, ever, ever pay for someone to do it! You're an intelligent guy, get on with it! :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:36 am

my pc didnt come with a dvd either :?

first thing when i booted my pc back then, was a pop up to make back up discs. so i did that but i have no idea what they are for.

so when i format my computer, i can then put in these discs? will these boot up my pc? :?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:39 am

also, my disc driver died so i have to rely on an external disc driver. but if i format my pc then my external disc driver wont work either :? :(

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 am

action wrote:my pc didnt come with a dvd either :?

first thing when i booted my pc back then, was a pop up to make back up discs. so i did that but i have no idea what they are for.

so when i format my computer, i can then put in these discs? will these boot up my pc? :?

If you search for 'reset' (on the start button, bottom left)...it will take you to 'restore my computer to an earlier time', then hit 'advanced recovery methods', then 'Reinstall Windows'...but I guess your pc is in Belgiqueee, so convert those words into something incomprehensible. :P

It's easy, just back up everything....

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

..actually, typing 'reinstall Windows' in the search box is all you have to do! :lol:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:51 am

wait i think i found something :P

"How to Format a Hard Disk With a System Recovery Disk

You may want to format your hard drive if it contains outdated business files or communications. A system recovery disk contains your as-shipped operating system. Used to format the hard disk, it leaves the disk empty but ready for use by an already installed operating system, or ready for a new installation of your manufacturer-supplied operating system with all of the applications available as per your first boot-up

Step 1
Turn on the computer and place the system recovery disk into the CD/DVD drive. Restart the computer with the disk in the drive

Step 2
Wait for the boot sequence to display the option to boot the computer from the CD/DVD drive, then press a key on your keyboard to accept the option. Wait for the system to boot to the Start window of the system recovery disk.

Step 3
Press the “Next” button and choose the “Restore to Factory Defaults” option

Step 4
Place a check mark in the box to accept the license terms for the installation, then press the “Next” button

Step 5
Select “Custom” installation and click on “Drive options.” Select the hard drive needing formatting.

Step 6
Press the “Format” button and wait for the drive to be formatted by the recovery disk. Press the “Next” button to end the formatting process. You can quit the installation process to prevent the installation of Windows to your hard drive, or continue through the installation process to install the OS onto your system
"

so using this, everything should be ok right? i can use an external disc driver (my disc drive that came with the pc is broken)?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:53 am

All the software should be in the computer, already. You probably don't need any disks. None of mine came with disks, either. If I recall correctly, just restart the computer, hit F8 repeatedly until the black DOS screen comes up. You must start hitting F8 before Windows boots! There should be a line there that says something regarding restoring the computer BUT I don't know what brand of computer you have and I don't want to mislead you. Until you can tell me, don't do it but you can press F8 rapidly until the white letters come up in your DOS screen write it down and post back here what it says!

In the mean time, these guys are pretty good. This is their Microsoft section of the board. All help there is free.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119
Yeah, I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
The moon has gone behind the cloud again
And I can't stand to live another day
'Cause my bluebird went away

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

action wrote:wait i think i found something :P

"How to Format a Hard Disk With a System Recovery Disk

You may want to format your hard drive if it contains outdated business files or communications. A system recovery disk contains your as-shipped operating system. Used to format the hard disk, it leaves the disk empty but ready for use by an already installed operating system, or ready for a new installation of your manufacturer-supplied operating system with all of the applications available as per your first boot-up

Step 1
Turn on the computer and place the system recovery disk into the CD/DVD drive. Restart the computer with the disk in the drive

Step 2
Wait for the boot sequence to display the option to boot the computer from the CD/DVD drive, then press a key on your keyboard to accept the option. Wait for the system to boot to the Start window of the system recovery disk.

Step 3
Press the “Next” button and choose the “Restore to Factory Defaults” option

Step 4
Place a check mark in the box to accept the license terms for the installation, then press the “Next” button

Step 5
Select “Custom” installation and click on “Drive options.” Select the hard drive needing formatting.

Step 6
Press the “Format” button and wait for the drive to be formatted by the recovery disk. Press the “Next” button to end the formatting process. You can quit the installation process to prevent the installation of Windows to your hard drive, or continue through the installation process to install the OS onto your system
"

so using this, everything should be ok right? i can use an external disc driver (my disc drive that came with the pc is broken)?

You can probably do this just fine, then make sure you go to Microsoft and get ALL Windows updates for your computer model :)

i'll be back in around 7-8 hours or so. Good luck, whatever you do!
Yeah, I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
The moon has gone behind the cloud again
And I can't stand to live another day
'Cause my bluebird went away

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am

action wrote:

I would risk it, but I love stuff like this and I love the risk of it all. :P

Booting from an external hard drive might be an issue, because I think that you have to change the boot sequence in the bios settings. Really, we need PT to help, 'cos he's a proper expert. ;) That said, I have never been defeated yet, it's all on Google. :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 am

action wrote:also, if it's me running the show, vista 64 stays. not planning on buying all new printers, software and throwing my old games in the trash, just to have a new windows that can do jack shit, and probably will be confusing as hell :roll:

One option would be to buy a new pc and set it up to dual boot, so you can select Vista or Windows 8/10 at startup.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:20 pm

thanks everyone for the help! really appreciated. i'm close to getting to the bottom of this :)

i found a good tutorial on the packard bell website. apparently, my computer has an excellent "system recovery management" function, which can format to factory setting without even the need of recovery discs. so i'll be using that first 8)

i'll get back to you lot with the results! :-)

and in case you wont hear from me again, it means i failed :P

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:48 pm

action wrote:thanks everyone for the help! really appreciated. i'm close to getting to the bottom of this :)

i found a good tutorial on the packard bell website. apparently, my computer has an excellent "system recovery management" function, which can format to factory setting without even the need of recovery discs. so i'll be using that first 8)

i'll get back to you lot with the results! :-)

and in case you wont hear from me again, it means i failed :P

Great! You can do it...see you in a couple of weeks. :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken