The QOL Technical Support Thread

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread

Postby WhiteMouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 am

HELP!!!!
I mean it guys, I am totally desperate with my laptop and I need it ASAP. It's extremely important.
The problem is the following- I can not log on. I switch it on, type in password and then get this "The user profile service failed to log on. User profile cannot be loaded."
I tried the trick with F8 and typing in "regedit" in the search field- it doesn't work as the search doesn't find anything like it. I tried to create a new profile (using Safe Mood), but that doesn't work either. When I click onto "Manage accounts" nothing happens. I use Windows 7.

I can't go to the repair shop or anything like it, because in this stupid country where I live now, that is not possible.
Please, any ideas.

WhiteMouse

Postby julymorning » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

WhiteMouse wrote:HELP!!!!
I mean it guys, I am totally desperate with my laptop and I need it ASAP. It's extremely important.
The problem is the following- I can not log on. I switch it on, type in password and then get this "The user profile service failed to log on. User profile cannot be loaded."
I tried the trick with F8 and typing in "regedit" in the search field- it doesn't work as the search doesn't find anything like it. I tried to create a new profile (using Safe Mood), but that doesn't work either. When I click onto "Manage accounts" nothing happens. I use Windows 7.

I can't go to the repair shop or anything like it, because in this stupid country where I live now, that is not possible.
Please, any ideas.

No problems with the lap top getting on other websites? If that's not happening either the only thing I know of that works is to do a restore. Either a simple restore to an earlier date when the computer worked, or a complete factory restore (hopefully you've already got everything you don't want to lose backed up somewhere or on disks.) Warning, I am not a computer geek whatsoever.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby WhiteMouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Err, I can't get on internet or even access my files such as photos or audio/video recordings. I use a pc in the Library for posting here and googling the problem. ;)
I am far from computer geek myself, just do what I can.
How do you restore it?

WhiteMouse

Postby WhiteMouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:10 pm

That's what I see when I switch on my laptop and type in the password. No access to anything really.

The steps I did to try and resolve the problem were performed in Safe Mood (after tapping on F8). Otherwise, I can't do anything.

WhiteMouse

Postby julymorning » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm

WhiteMouse wrote:Err, I can't get on internet or even access my files such as photos or audio/video recordings. I use a pc in the Library for posting here and googling the problem. ;)
I am far from computer geek myself, just do what I can.
How do you restore it?

There's a setting under Control Panel for that, but if you can't get on it has to be done from a remote computer which I do not know how to do.

Have you called your service provider for tech support? They will help you if you're still under warrantee (sp).

You should be able to get to your control panel in Menu from safe mode. I actually spent a few months online in "safemode with networking" which is a huge no no. But yeah, you can access your menu in safe mode.

Don't do anything before someone else here tries to help. I'd hate for you to lose your files accidentally.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby WhiteMouse » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:25 pm

julymorning wrote:There's a setting under Control Panel for that, but if you can't get on it has to be done from a remote computer which I do not know how to do.

Have you called your service provider for tech support? They will help you if you're still under warrantee (sp).

You should be able to get to your control panel in Menu from safe mode. I actually spent a few months online in "safemode with networking" which is a huge no no. But yeah, you can access your menu in safe mode.

Don't do anything before someone else here tries to help. I'd hate for you to lose your files accidentally.

Thanks for reply. :)

I can't call the service provider because I don't have one. I suppose I could try to restore it in Safe Mood.

WhiteMouse

Postby julymorning » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:38 pm

WhiteMouse wrote:
julymorning wrote:There's a setting under Control Panel for that, but if you can't get on it has to be done from a remote computer which I do not know how to do.

Thanks for reply. :)

I can't call the service provider because I don't have one. I suppose I could try to restore it in Safe Mood.

Are you saying you get your internet access for free with a wifi or something? Nice!

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby WhiteMouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:05 am

julymorning wrote:Are you saying you get your internet access for free with a wifi or something? Nice!

Kind of.
I currently work in Norway and my employer takes care of my housing and internet connection. So, I don't have a deal with internet providing company.

WhiteMouse

Postby WhiteMouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

I am happy to announce that my problem is solved! :onfire:
I have run a restore and to my great delight it worked! Thank you very much julymorning for help. :)

WhiteMouse

Postby P.T » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:11 am

WhiteMouse wrote:That's what I see when I switch on my laptop and type in the password. No access to anything really.

The steps I did to try and resolve the problem were performed in Safe Mood (after tapping on F8). Otherwise, I can't do anything.

Once that happens, you can't do anything unless you have a second user profile on the computer with admin rights. You can only get someone to recover the data remotely and set the system back to factory settings.

P.T
We Will Rock You

Postby julymorning » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 pm

WhiteMouse wrote:I am happy to announce that my problem is solved! :onfire:
I have run a restore and to my great delight it worked! Thank you very much julymorning for help. :)

You're welcome! Now I'd be curious as to how the snafu happened in the first place. Because if it was a virus it could happen again.

I had one heck of a nasty trojan taking over my computer this summer. The simple restores worked but only temporarily. So while I could still get on in safe mode I made copies of all the photos and whatever other important documents I had on here and did a full factory restore which has made it like brand new. Fortunately I had the programming discs that came with the computer that re-installed additional Windows programs, even gave me a restart with the free Norton protection that came with it. Although this time Norton protection was for a few months, not a full year.

ETA: So what I'm suggesting is, if you haven't already, make sure anything you've put on the computer and don't want to lose, is backed up somewhere on disc or on a remote website. Just in case this happens again and you feel a full factory restore may be your only option.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby WhiteMouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I've absolutely no idea what could be the reason for it. But I am backing up all important from it atm. The best I can do.

WhiteMouse

Postby julymorning » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I was trying to research why this happened to your computer, and after reading several pages, I found out it's possibly your registry was corrupted. There is a simple check to find out if it happens again, and what to do (besides system restore).

I suggest if you have access to a printer, go to this web site: (copy and paste in your search bar) h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02683506&lc...‎ and print off the instructions in how to check for corruption and how to fix it in safe mode.

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

Postby WhiteMouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for the research. I also looked for information online using another pc. I read about this option, but it didn't work for me because I couldn't create a new account. Each time I clicked on the option, my click was ignored and nothing happened.

WhiteMouse

Postby Brian's Biggest Fan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm trying to purchase a DVD off of a website that accepts PayPal payments. I can click on the option to buy the DVD but when the PayPal page comes up it will either say the session has timed out or that my cookies are turned off. Now, I know that the cookies aren't turned off because I was able to buy something off of Ebay using the buy it now option, and I had to use PayPal for that. I also used three different web browsers to attempt to buy this DVD and I was getting the same message on each web browser.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this a problem on my end or is it a problem on the end of website I'm trying to buy from? I'm only asking the last part because the website just recently had a revamp, and I think that may be what's causing the problem, but I don't know.
Image-Ed Alonzo as Max from Saved By The Bell

Brian's Biggest Fan
We Will Rock You

Me with the misfit of magic, Ed Alonzo

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken