The QOL Technical Support Thread

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: The QOL Technical Support Thread

Postby Lino » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:57 pm

how can we post youtube links now? the youtube tag doesn't work....
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc[/youtube]
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Lino wrote:how can we post youtube links now? the youtube tag doesn't work....
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlcIKh6sBtc[/youtube]

I removed the *s* from *https*. :)
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby WeeMann » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:28 pm

yeah, it doesn't like that S for some reason.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Lino » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:16 pm

thanks!
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 am

Long shot, but can anyone tell me how to remove Safe Finder?!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Inherited a laptop from my daughter. Runs on Windows 8. Keyboard does not seem to be working at all. Any ideas?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Montavilla » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 pm

JLP wrote:Inherited a laptop from my daughter. Runs on Windows 8. Keyboard does not seem to be working at all. Any ideas?

I use Macs, but one thing I've done is to plug a regular keyboard from a desktop system into the USB port. That way, I can at least start typing in a "help" question to see if it's a software/settings issue.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Montavilla wrote:
JLP wrote:Inherited a laptop from my daughter. Runs on Windows 8. Keyboard does not seem to be working at all. Any ideas?

I use Macs, but one thing I've done is to plug a regular keyboard from a desktop system into the USB port. That way, I can at least start typing in a "help" question to see if it's a software/settings issue.

thanks. Might give that a blast.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby P.T » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:23 am

Prolly means she spilled a cup of tea on it. Replacement keyboards can be purchased for around £10 to £15 brand new on eBay. Screws that hold it in are normally found underneath the laptop, sometimes with a keyboard image next to them. Sometimes the screws are held in at the top underneath the panel above the keyboard. Sometimes they don't have screws at all. The replacement keyboard will indicate where they are.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am

here's one for you techies.

my computer is a good 5 years old, and now it is running really slow, with programs freaquently "not responding" and stuff.

i figured out this could be due to the hard drive dying.

question 1:

would you advise me to buy a brand new computer, or can i get my old one running again with a brand new hard drive? will it then run as good as a new computer, for the next 5 years?

question 2:

i also have to add, i still have my backup discs i made when i got the PC new from the store. with these, can i re-create my old computer, using a new hard disc and these backup discs? what can i expect using them? what with my old data?
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

action wrote:here's one for you techies.

my computer is a good 5 years old, and now it is running really slow, with programs freaquently "not responding" and stuff.

question 1:

would you advise me to buy a brand new computer, or can i get my old one running again with a brand new hard drive? will it then run as good as a new computer, for the next 5 years?

question 2:

i also have to add, i still have my backup discs i made when i got the PC new from the store. with these, can i re-create my old computer, using a new hard disc and these backup discs? what can i expect using them? what with my old data?

What kind of computer and what version of Windows? Any chance you can just wipe it such as a factory reset and start from scratch like when you first bought it? I'd try that before installing a new hard drive or buying another, at least at first. I've wiped one of mine twice. The only problem with it now is it has some hard drive damage so I could either get another hard drive or continue using this one which I bought used and it runs pretty darned good.

Innuendoes

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 am

Innuendoes wrote:

question 1:

question 2:

What kind of computer and what version of Windows? Any chance you can just wipe it such as a factory reset and start from scratch like when you first bought it? I'd try that before installing a new hard drive or buying another, at least at first. I've wiped one of mine twice. The only problem with it now is it has some hard drive damage so I could either get another hard drive or continue using this one which I bought used and it runs pretty darned good.

thanks inny

i have windows vista 64 bit, and i like to keep it (for playing games and various programs which are maybe not compatibel with windows 7/8)

since my hard drive is probably broken, it's either installing a new HDD or buying a new computer so i would like to know which one is best

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 am

action wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

question 1:

question 2:

thanks inny

i have windows vista 64 bit, and i like to keep it (for playing games and various programs which are maybe not compatibel with windows 7/8)

since my hard drive is probably broken, it's either installing a new HDD or buying a new computer so i would like to know which one is best

My other computer is Vista, too. I know everyone goes on about how horrible Vista is but I also have this Win 7 computer, both are Acers and I like the Vista more. Maybe you can just get a new hard drive, then and install your software on that. But I would try wiping the hard drive, first. Just do a factory reset and see what happens.

I understand, when Win 10 is released it will replace all versions of Windows from Vista through 8.2?? whatever the newest one out there is and it will be a FREE upgrade and the best windows, ever. We'll see. LOL

How do you know for sure that your hard drive is damaged? Have you run tests to find out?

Innuendoes

Postby action » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:28 am

well, my computer is really slow lately, and many programs are sometimes "not responding"

my computer is also 5 years old, and counting. i read somewhere that HDD's only last 5 years :? thanks for making us buy new computers every 5 fucking years, micro$oft :roll: :P

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 am

Hi action...well, I am not expert, but I have done many successful reformats of the hard drive. Essentially it will be like new afterwards, but beware, you will lose everything, so back up essential files...but it's fun. :P

Usually these days, you just boot up with the dvd that came with the pc in the drive and from there you just select reset, or whatever.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken