Something has happened to this forum

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: Something has happened to this forum

Postby icy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 am

*Moves along* tho I wasn't going to ask who it was ;-).
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:26 am

Moves along like I presumed your next question was going to be "Can you tell us who it was?", to which I correctly answered "No". :-)
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:30 am

Kes wrote:Moves along like I presumed your next question was going to be "Can you tell us who it was?", to which I correctly answered "No".

*moves along again*
Kidding aside, I wasn't expecting for you/anyone to go in detail about it, just wanted to know if people close to the band posted here. And now I know.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 am

Now you know!

Anyway, it's more than one, but I don't think any of the band come here.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby julymorning » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 am

Kes wrote:It's not as active as it used to be for sure.

Nearly two and a half thousand users, of which well over half have either never posted, or have said hello, and apparently f*cked off.

I think you get "that" when exclusive ticket pre-sales get linked to a place. You'll probably find half of that half want the pre-sales, so they can sell them themselves, and aren't Queen fans in the slightest, which is rather ironic given Roger's view on touts, innit?

I think I've said for ages that a limit should be set, and people under 250 posts shouldn't get pre-sales. It would at least sort the men out from the boys, and make the touts (and everybody else too!) have to invest their time to get the goodies.

I don't think that's fair!

One could go around and post smilies and nothing else on threads 100 times a day to reach the minimum.
That's rather useless, although I don't claim my posts have much more to contribute than a smiley.

^^^^Having said that I had no idea what my post count is, but now see that I'm still quite 'under'. Some forums on this board don't count toward posts.
(As if I had to tell you that, lol)

Edited to add sheepishly: I didn't join to get anything, didn't even know I could. I was a purchasing 'member' and got email sometimes, but I just saw reference to the discussion board very recently.

I wanted to be amongst other serious Queen lovers.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby icy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:50 am

julymorning wrote:
Kes wrote:It's not as active as it used to be for sure.

Nearly two and a half thousand users, of which well over half have either never posted, or have said hello, and apparently f*cked off.

I think you get "that" when exclusive ticket pre-sales get linked to a place. You'll probably find half of that half want the pre-sales, so they can sell them themselves, and aren't Queen fans in the slightest, which is rather ironic given Roger's view on touts, innit?

I think I've said for ages that a limit should be set, and people under 250 posts shouldn't get pre-sales. It would at least sort the men out from the boys, and make the touts (and everybody else too!) have to invest their time to get the goodies.

I don't think that's fair!

One could go around and post smilies and nothing else on threads 100 times a day to reach the minimum.
That's rather useless, although I don't claim my posts have much more to contribute than a smiley.

^^^^Having said that I had no idea what my post count is, but now see that I'm still quite 'under'. Some forums on this board don't count toward posts.
(As if I had to tell you that, lol)

Edited to add sheepishly: I didn't join to get anything, didn't even know I could. I was a purchasing 'member' and got email sometimes, but I just saw reference to the discussion board very recently.

I wanted to be amongst other serious Queen lovers.

To be honest, I do feel what Kes said above is fair, more than fair. How many people join boards just to get freebies or offers that sometimes long term fans miss out on? I've seen it too mant times in the last few years, not here btw.
I think you are well on your way in becoming a valued poster(fuck, even I am not that :P ) and I enjoy reading your posts. I hope you stick around...we all don't bite :P
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:17 am

You won't last long here if you post just smilies. That's historical.

Let's face it, if you just want to read, then you don't even have to become a member, so I'm a bit bemused why so many people have registered, but never been bothers put pen to paper, so to speak.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Leigh Burne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:49 am

Kes wrote:I think you get "that" when exclusive ticket pre-sales get linked to a place. You'll probably find half of that half want the pre-sales, so they can sell them themselves, and aren't Queen fans in the slightest, which is rather ironic given Roger's view on touts, innit?

Haha pre-sale tickets were the sole reason I signed up! :D At least I actually wanted mine for myself... And I'm more active now.

icy wrote:when people use the same avvys/usernames or nearly the same as others currently in use. Most are quite original, so I really hate to see it happen at times.

Another thing I'm guilty of. I picked it in a rush and never got around to changing it, maybe I will some time.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 am

The last thing any band needs is a bunch of forum posters at the front of their gigs! They should ban anyone with over 500 posts :-P

I think the current system is fine. Sign up to the mailing list, get pre-sale codes. It's easy enough to enforce it so that you have to have been signed up before the tour/event was announced.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby queenb1656 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:12 pm

I do remember the forum being a lot busier a few years back, a lot of the 'characters' have gone from the board.

Oh well, life goes on, keep smiling and all that.

queenb1656
Spread Your Wings

Postby Ace » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Why doesn't one of the Admin email all the old posters with a teaser to get them to come and have a look?

I've just been looking through recent posts and there are a lot of the old names I remember no longer here. We used to have a bit of a giggle back then. I suppose we've all gone and got a "life"

Apart from the access to tickets etc the one thing I did get from this board was a friend who will be around for the rest of my life. Loretta. He's a real character. Even Mrs Ace likes hime.

And one thing I never did get the answer to. Who was Flashman?

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby icy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Ace, hope you have been keeping well :).
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Ace wrote:Who was Flashman?

I met him! He grabbed me at a Q+PR concert in Liverpool, somehow spotting me through a crowd AND recognising me, presumably from photos on QOL. He was a nice guy!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Champs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 am

Ace wrote:And one thing I never did get the answer to. Who was Flashman?

Do you never tire of self promotion? :sleepy:
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby mikespit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 am

Ian-Highlander wrote:Regardless of OUR opinions of the band we know as Queen, you have to face up to the fact that as an active band it's not really existed since 1991. Ok so the "Queen"+PR project was great and got some more interest going and a few people liked the Adam Lambert thing recently but that was never going anywhere big.

The simple fact of the matter is that Queen's fanbase is getting older and older and less and less younger people are interested in them. These days a lot of youngsters have never even heard of Queen and that overall interest in them as anymore than a historic legend is getting rarer.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. I personally think Queen are still hugely popular even more so - I don't think interest in them is waining. I think Facebook has probably taken over as the "forum of choice" - the official Queen Facebook page has over 16 Million "Likes" and is very active - and is probably more convenient given the number of people of Facebook. It is probably more of an indicator of the level of interest than this message board. Not many queen fans know this board exists - a bit more promotion via Facebook is required on a regular basis, non just once a year (this has proven to work - I remember a single reference a couple of years back resulted in a huge influx of fans to this board).

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken