Let's reminisce again...

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: Let's reminisce again...

Postby icy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Erin wrote:
icy wrote:Are they? Sweet, I thought it was just an east coast thing. Some of the row houses are on hills, take a look at this grouping...even with all the possible dangers it was an amazing place to live.

Very pretty.. Looks coastal.. :)

Oh it is on both counts. I miss it so. :inlove: its compared to places in the U.K even. So yea, its pretty awesome in many regards.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:49 pm

JLP wrote:People are stunned when I tell them that for the first ten years of my life, I lived in a house that had no inside toilet. I used to get bathed once a week in a tin bath in front of the coal fire.

phpBB [video]

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:People are stunned when I tell them that for the first ten years of my life, I lived in a house that had no inside toilet. I used to get bathed once a week in a tin bath in front of the coal fire.

phpBB [video]

Pah! :P
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:53 pm

For a few months in 1997 we lived in a *shack* with no plumbing. :shock: We had to fill buckets with water outside and lug them in and there was an outhouse out back. I had to boil water to bathe my daughter in the sink or in a basin on the floor. Thank goodness we didn't live there for very long!
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby icy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:

For a few months in 1997 we lived in a *shack* with no plumbing. :shock: We had to fill buckets with water outside and lug them in and there was an outhouse out back. I had to boil water to bathe my daughter in the sink or in a basin on the floor. Thank goodness we didn't live there for very long!

I know what that is like. Not meant to sound backwards, but you know where I lived for most of my life, to think highways, paved roads in some cases only happened since the 60's. I miss home a lot, but there are things I will never miss. Credit and respect to the people who worked with much less than there is today. I think about this sort of thing often. To thinkinmy hometown there is no shops, schools there. I have my qualms about where I currently live now, but it's easier to get what one needs/wants.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Sir Knute » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Oh man, I finally found this old toy that I loved.
I could never find it on the internet because I thought it was a Webble Wobble toy so my search would turn up empty. Turns out it belonged to the Little People line of toys. A competitor of the Weebles.
But this is. This goes wayyy back into the memory banks. Like when I was 2 or 3. I always remembered it for the MOO sound the door made as you opened it.

phpBB [video]

Sir Knute
Spread Your Wings

Postby Bad Guy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:07 pm

I always think back to the stories my grandparents told me when I was about 10 years old about what life was like for them being teenagers. What will the teenagers of today be telling their grandkids? "oh yeah, I remember one time we went to Nando's and took selfies all night". Changed times indeed!

Bad Guy
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Elessar wrote:
I've spoken to people who I have considered to be peers, who have said they don't remember when Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor because it was before their time. There are university students who are too young to remember the Spice Girls. There are people out there who have university degrees, good, well-paid jobs, engaged or perhaps even married, who are too young to remember Take That the first time around.

I guess the real acid test is children's TV shows, and Disney films. We grew up during the golden age of Disney - The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, all in quick succession. To many ADULTS, those are films from before their time. It's mental.

The TV was on in the other room the other day and the question was 'who sang Bohemian Rhapsody?'...and there was like this really long pause, before the girl said 'Queen' in an inquisitive tone. It is crazy!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:23 pm

P.T wrote:In reality...

My nan had one of those wind-up telephones (not like in Mary Poppins where you had to crank a handle but the ones with the spring dial :P), my granddad drove me around in an old Morris Ital (he also had a Princess but I was too young to remember that), our school had a few computers which didn't do an awful lot but it was a technical marvel and was something I didn't have at home until I was 12 years old. I used to go over a friend's house to play on his old Commodore 64, he'd load up a huge floppy disc, type in some code and we'd play Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

We had an old turntable with a couple of old records which I used to listen to...Hedgehog Sandwich - Not The Nine O'Clock News, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, some ABBA stuff, The Greatest Hits of 1985, Blondie....It had a tape deck and whatnot as well, but we never had many tapes. We most certainly had to get up to change the channel, each one had its own button...no remote control. We had to get the picture tube changed in it coz we wore it out and the screen went green.

Basically I grew up in the late-70s/early-80s despite being born 10 years later. (And yeah, I was basically brought up by my grandparents)

Blimey, you remember Commodore 64's? :shock: You really are old! :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 am

Places such as these that are no more, but the history lives on...
Attachments
2007_02_21mapleleafgardens.jpg
Old Wembley.jpg
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby play it cool » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:58 pm

icy wrote:Places such as these that are no more, but the history lives on...

I saw quite a few concerts at the old Wembley Stadium. It did look really knackered by the time they pulled it down.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:45 pm

play it cool wrote:

I saw quite a few concerts at the old Wembley Stadium. It did look really knackered by the time they pulled it down.

I have too, onscreen of course. Gotta ask you if you don't mind my asking what were your favorite and least favorite concerts?
I'm going to try to start collecting VHS/DVD concerts from Wembley.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby play it cool » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:10 am

icy wrote:
play it cool wrote:

I have too, onscreen of course. Gotta ask you if you don't mind my asking what were your favorite and least favorite concerts?
I'm going to try to start collecting VHS/DVD concerts from Wembley.

It was always an event going to Wembley, not sure if I have a least favourite. Perhaps the Net Aid concert from 1999, which had some great sets from David Bowie, George Michael etc but also a lot of mainstream acts I'm not so fond of. The Freddie tribute was my favourite of the gigs I attended there, I also saw great gigs there from The Rolling Stones (twice), Simon & Garfunkel, U2, Pink Floyd and, shortly before it was demolished, Oasis. I was frustrated not to get Queen tickets in 1986, but thankfully they added Knebworth and I got to go there.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 am

play it cool wrote:
It was always an event going to Wembley, not sure if I have a least favourite. Perhaps the Net Aid concert from 1999, which had some great sets from David Bowie, George Michael etc but also a lot of mainstream acts I'm not so fond of. The Freddie tribute was my favourite of the gigs I attended there, I also saw great gigs there from The Rolling Stones (twice), Simon & Garfunkel, U2, Pink Floyd and, shortly before it was demolished, Oasis. I was frustrated not to get Queen tickets in 1986, but thankfully they added Knebworth and I got to go there.

:wow: incredible
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby HoneyTaylor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Some of my favorite things from my childhood! :inlove: Plus, the border color purple was my favorite color back then. ;)
"Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss

HoneyTaylor
Spread Your Wings

I want to break free

PreviousNext

Return to Fried Chicken