How much do you drink?

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: How much do you drink?

Postby QueenBerta » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:25 am

magicshoes wrote:
QueenBerta wrote:I have the occasional glass of champagne when celebrating but alcohol makes me horribly dehydrated and I'd rather not be dealing with the hangover and sore throat. I spend money eating healthy stuff so I'd rather not undo all my work in one night.

People who encourage others to drink are often doing it so they don't look like the sad alkie.

you seem terribly judgmental and narrow minded QB. just an observation from a non-journalist :P

My husband was a pub manager for a brewery when I first met him and his closest friends were a pub landlord and a director of a brewery. I think I've spent countless boring evenings listening to half cut regulars trying to leer down my top, pat me on the knee or bore me to death with drunken ramblings about the state of the country. Either that or beer tents at some country thing like a ploughing match or archery with a warm Pimm's.

I certainly have witnessed men egg each other on with one for the road etc. In the country, the wives and girlfriends were all left at home and the blokes would go meet up to prop up the bar in the village pub. It gets very laddish and I've seen fights.
#StopTheHate #EqualityForAll

QueenBerta
Spread Your Wings

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:42 pm

I actually haven't had a drink in almost 2 months! (well, I had ONE beer just for the heck of it about a month ago, but I'm not counting that :D) I may very well resume drinking, but I think it'd probably be a very good idea to at least wait until my broken ankle is completely healed...

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby sebastian » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:23 pm

I've got a big problem with moderation. I seem to be rather inclined to 'all or nothing', which obviously affects my eating, drinking, etc. My parents, great as they are, were always quite bad at that as well, I suppose they still are. Anyway, I can party all night without drinking, no problem; I can endure heartbreak without drinking, fair enough.

Problems arise if I start drinking and there's, say, a full bottle of whiskey. I can't stop at one shot.

So, for the last 15 years or so, I've always been the one who either doesn't drink at all (at a party or whatever) or who gets positively rat-arsed. I managed to quit cold turkey for nearly six years, then I got drunk once on St Patrick's Day 2013. After that, I've done it again a handful of times, the last having been October last year.

Never crashed the car or been to a fist fight or anything like that, and I've only thrown up thrice (one at 15 and two at 18). Blackouts ... probably three or four overall. Not too bad, and I'm not an alcoholic by any stretch, I just find moderation challenging :)
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby Montavilla » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:16 am

I usually don't drink alcohol. It doesn't do anything for me but put me to sleep. So, I'll probably drink half a glass of wine or beer in a month. I do drink a lot of water.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby sebastian » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 am

Update: Got quite drunk last night. A friend and I decided to play a Home Alone drinking game with whiskey and wine. After we finished the bottles (the third act was a binge since we were supposed to take a shot every time Marv or Harry got hurt) she somehow produced more and more alcohol... and a guitar. I'm just glad her internet connexion wasn't working because we were planning on Skyping with quite a few people in that state, but fortunately we didn't manage to :P
John hated Hot Space. Frederick's favourite singer was not Paul Rodgers. Roger did not compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

sebastian
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 am

update: i drank a cocal cola just now, since like: ever :shock:
fire and fury, like the world has never seen!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

the time of action starts now

Postby action » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:02 pm

i'm drinking one pint a week anymore.

it's remarkable how cutting down from 3 to 1 pint a week, has broadened my sense of reality. I see better, smell better, hear better. I'm losing weight, I'm looking healthier.

alcohol sure is a true venom. hoping to leave alcohol altogether.

my method of losing my addiction is drinking tonic (which contains kinine)

in the old days, kinine was used to battle alcohol addiction. whenever I feel the "need" for drinking, I drink Schweppes and I am "satisfied". 8)
fire and fury, like the world has never seen!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

the time of action starts now

Postby julymorning » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm

I love buying those little one shot bottles. They're like a smorgasbord of booze to me. My current favorite is an "apple pie" flavored whisky. It's lovely straight, but I prefer a few dashes of it in whatever soft drink. It 'goes' with any flavor.

Great for helping me fall asleep and sleep deeper at night.
It wasn't the alcohol messing with my blood pressure, it was the recently raised medication dosage.
I'm out at the moment and I'm missing it. The apple pie whiskey.
Missing it so badly I keep re-looking in all my usual landing places for it. Where it lands, not me. ;-)

I'm supposed to be on two different kinds of antibiotics now, which I've not started yet. And the doc tells me Monday I have blood in my urine (which matches up with all the symptoms of kidney disease).

:( I see apples are ok for bad kidneys. Maybe even apple pie. Not so much the whiskey part of it.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:27 pm

julymorning wrote:I love buying those little one shot bottles. They're like a smorgasbord of booze to me. My current favorite is an "apple pie" flavored whisky. It's lovely straight, but I prefer a few dashes of it in whatever soft drink. It 'goes' with any flavor.

Great for helping me fall asleep and sleep deeper at night.
It wasn't the alcohol messing with my blood pressure, it was the recently raised medication dosage.
I'm out at the moment and I'm missing it. The apple pie whiskey.
Missing it so badly I keep re-looking in all my usual landing places for it. Where it lands, not me. ;-)

I'm supposed to be on two different kinds of antibiotics now, which I've not started yet. And the doc tells me Monday I have blood in my urine (which matches up with all the symptoms of kidney disease).

:( I see apples are ok for bad kidneys. Maybe even apple pie. Not so much the whiskey part of it.

That's reminded me, I have one of those mixed 'shots' of spiced rum and cola in the fridge. Got it today, now going to drink it... :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby julymorning » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:44 am

I just noticed we now have a "Did you enjoy your teen years" topic.

You reminded me of my first drunken experience. It was with rum and coke in a dixie cup and I was 17. Ironically my bf at that time was angry at me for getting so drunk. IDK where the heck he was when I did it, because I was with him and one of his band mates at a large park and they walked off somewhere.

The ironic part comes 4 decades later when see his brother has responded to my inquiry and I learn that my bf who had married someone else, Died of illnesses related to life long alcohol abuse. :(
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Hazlehurst » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm 29. Drank 4 - 6 cans every other night since the age of 18, with the occasional wild binge. So relaxing.

Hazlehurst
Spread Your Wings

Postby YAFF » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:07 am

phpBB [video]
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby Oret » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:35 pm

fairydandy wrote:Now, be honest.

I'm thinking of cutting down now. I drink two glasses of red wine a night, for 4-5 times week. I don't know why, I don't get pissed, I just like it! It's becoming a habit though...and there is such conflicting advice out there. :?

I drink a lot more than I used to. :?
Well, I didn't really drink earlier, so anything is more than before. :P

I've gotten a habit of social drinking in my new hobby.
1-2 beers during the practice sessions, another 1-2 in the bar afterwards, and 1-2 whenever we have shows.

It doesn't affect the performance (as far as I know), but it does make me think just how easily I've gotten used to it.
There's a real chance of getting addicted if I don't watch myself. :?

Oret
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:42 pm

I only drink when the day ends in a Y :P
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 pm

A good time to speak French then?