Living Without Internet

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Living Without Internet

Postby JLP » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:45 am

Could anyone actually do it these days? I just had a 5 day break in Scotland. There was free wifi in the hotel reception but it was pretty crap so I barely went online. It didn't bother me. I spent the spare time reading and on trips around the border region of Scotland.

Next week I am off to London for 4 days and maybe there will be no wifi in the hotel again. It will not bother me one bit.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Re: Living Without Internet

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:56 am

JLP wrote:Could anyone actually do it these days? I just had a 5 day break in Scotland. There was free wifi in the hotel reception but it was pretty crap so I barely went online. It didn't bother me. I spent the spare time reading and on trips around the border region of Scotland.

Next week I am off to London for 4 days and maybe there will be no wifi in the hotel again. It will not bother me one bit.

If only for ordering stuff online, no I couldn't.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Simon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:08 am

Of course it depends on the situation you are in. It might be easier for people who lived in a time when the internet did not exist, at least not in the way it is nowadays. Once you are cut off, the first thing you notice is how dependent you are, the next thing you notice is that you really are NOT dependent on it. Then it becomes clear that it is mainly a distraction. The moment you realize that reading a book for a couple of hours is so rewarding is always special and can be so much more entertaining than reading and writing on message boards :lol: .
But when you actually need internet for your job or your research and for some reason it doesn't work, then you are seriously fucked. People tend to say that the internet never forgets. I somehow think that you shouldn't trust the internet, cloud service etc and always have your important bits saved on hard drives etc.
There are statistics that show how many people actually die because they pay no attention to their surroundings while walking (not driving) because their are staring on their phones. People get run over trains and cars, they fall into pits etc. These are not isolate incidents. The numbers are frightenting. It makes zombie movies so much more relevant these days.
I also read about a journalist who lived without internet for a year. He was curious how much information he gets about world news, and how fast. It turned out that he was as informed as people who constantly check news online. In other words, while you THINK that you are clever by always checking news and reading updates etc. you mainly waste time.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:40 am

JLP wrote:Could anyone actually do it these days? I just had a 5 day break in Scotland. There was free wifi in the hotel reception but it was pretty crap so I barely went online. It didn't bother me. I spent the spare time reading and on trips around the border region of Scotland.

Good question.

I could...but I would miss it terribly; not so much chat forums like this, etc. but just the vast knowledge that is out there at the click of a mouse...plus the downloads...and especially internet shopping (no more wasting time in shops with shite muzak in the background, being asked if you need some assistance a million times!).

So, yes, I could survive without it, but I really would miss it.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby HoopDiddyDiddy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:41 am

I think it is soon going to become very trendy to go offline for extended periods of time. People who have grown up with it will see a break as a novel experience and probably extol the virtues of "getting in touch with themselves" or some such. But to do without entirely? I don't think too many people will be opting for that as so much of our day to day activities revolve around online bill paying, communications, and information gathering. I can't as much as watch a movie without having to look up some obscure piece of trivia and I find the ability to do that something I do not want to give up.
But leave the phone at home or off entirely while out doing fun stuff or on vacation? You bet.

HoopDiddyDiddy
Spread Your Wings

... joyful noise!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:49 pm

I look at it this way: I'm 38 now, I went through basically the first half of my life without the internet, and I was just fine :D The first time I had regular access to a computer with an internet connection, it was in the days of AOL, Windows 95, and dial-up, and even after that, it wasn't like I always had it...

Of course it's different now, but I remember the days when if I had to look something up, I had to look in an actual book :P I think they only got rid of it when they moved a few years ago, but my parents used to have one of those big sets of encyclopedias....lol

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Montavilla » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:05 pm

We have a vacation home that doesn't get have wi-fi and barely gets phone reception. I love it.

But, then again, there's a free hot spot in the town that's about fifteen miles away (er... 25 kilometers?). I find myself going there at least once or twice when I'm staying in the house.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
The Show Must Go On

Postby icy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Yep. I went without the internet a few years back for months at a stretch. I only checked the internet a handful of times that amount of time.
I'm not surprised that so many places have WiFi, but I'm surprised when places don't have it. A few days ago, I went to a coffee shop, it pleased me to see people read papers, talk with each other more than text etc.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:28 pm

No way. I've become friends with so many of you on here (you know who you are :group:). This place is my life. I'm constantly the focus of attention on all the various social networks and forums I use. I hope people like me for who I am and not because of all the stuff I've been through lately. I don't want to go into that now; PM me if you like, I have quite the collection :bigups:

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:No way. I've become friends with so many of you on here (you know who you are :group:). This place is my life. I'm constantly the focus of attention on all the various social networks and forums I use. I hope people like me for who I am and not because of all the stuff I've been through lately. I don't want to go into that now; PM me if you like, I have quite the collection :bigups:

:roll:

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:37 am

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:No way. I've become friends with so many of you on here (you know who you are :group:). This place is my life. I'm constantly the focus of attention on all the various social networks and forums I use. I hope people like me for who I am and not because of all the stuff I've been through lately. I don't want to go into that now; PM me if you like, I have quite the collection :bigups:

Ah, bless.

It is good that there is help out there for folks like yourself; the internet gives you the voice you would normally not have in the real world. A real life-saver.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:37 am

musicalprostitute wrote:

Ah, bless.

It is good that there is help out there for folks like yourself; the internet gives you the voice you would normally not have in the real world. A real life-saver.

:agreepost:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:00 am

What's with people quoting themselves now? I'd never do that...

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:00 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:What's with people quoting themselves now? I'd never do that...

Yeah!

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby magicshoes » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:18 am

Capt. Den Ronson wrote:

:roll:

Why are you rolling your eyes at your own post? Did you forget to switch names or something? :lol:

I could live without the internet but it would be different. I do all my banking and bill paying online. I wouldn't necessarily miss the online forums but I would miss Netflix, spotify and other things I use for entertainment.
My Soul is painted like the wings of butterflies

magicshoes
The Show Must Go On

Next

Return to Fried Chicken