I don't understand!

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

I don't understand!

Postby Anna » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm

My admiration and respect of Queen remains today and I'm comforted knowing they are still there. Certain reminders of the late Freddie Mercury can still make me tearful though. I can still grieve over someone I've never met. Am I alone?
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Re: I don't understand!

Postby YAFF » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Anna wrote:My admiration and respect of Queen remains today and I'm comforted knowing they are still there. Certain reminders of the late Freddie Mercury can still make me tearful though. I can still grieve over someone I've never met. Am I alone?
Anna-

That's not unusual. I get teary-eyed when I watch things like the video of "In My Defence"

phpBB [video]
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
The Show Must Go On

Postby Anna » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Most definitely. Thank you for your post- I do appreciate it! (It's the only place I can talk about these things.) Hope to see more posts from everyone.
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Well, I don't listen too much to Queen these days. But then there are those days when I have a few glasses of wine and I head over to YouTube to type in 'Queen rare' or something and I always end up in tears. The song that gets me time after time after time is, 'I Guess We're Falling Out'. It's simply magical. :?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Anna » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pm

You're right, that is a good song. I've never heard that song until now and I tend to surf YouTube a lot myself looking for oldies from 70's-80's. Thanks so much for your post. It's nice to hear from others! :biggrin:
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 pm

:)
Anna wrote:My admiration and respect of Queen remains today and I'm comforted knowing they are still there. Certain reminders of the late Freddie Mercury can still make me tearful though. I can still grieve over someone I've never met. Am I alone?
Anna-

Hello Anna and welcome to the board.

You are most definitely not alone here. As a grown man who has lived a bit, I can state that I still fill up when I watch or listen to something with regards to Freddie.

I can still recall the ache I felt 26 years ago when I found out he had passed - I honestly felt as if I had lost someone close to me; I guess I had spent so many hours alone in my bedroom when I was younger just lost in the magical world of Freddie Mercury that when he left us I felt like I had lost a friend in a sense. I would turn to his music so often in my life when I felt isolated or was messed up and can truly say he helped to pull me through.

So, even today, all these years later I miss the old tart. I can be sitting there watching one of his videos or see a rare interview clip or just be listening to Mother Love or The Show Must Go On and I break. He still has that power to affect me. And the reason he does still affect me after all this time is because he was truly unique, truly talented and - in my eyes - truly genuine as a soul. I love the man. I always will.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:06 am

fairydandy wrote:Well, I don't listen too much to Queen these days. But then there are those days when I have a few glasses of wine and I head over to YouTube to type in 'Queen rare' or something and I always end up in tears. The song that gets me time after time after time is, 'I Guess We're Falling Out'. It's simply magical. :?

Now that's one of the somewhat rare things I can totally agree with you on: I Guess We're Falling Out is pretty damn good. I wish they had developed that one a little more. I don't know if that's my favorite out of the unreleased Queen songs, though. Self Made Man and Feel Like have to be right up there, to me.

But you rarely listen to Queen these days? Hell, I listen to them damn near every day! :D

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby fairydandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
But you rarely listen to Queen these days? Hell, I listen to them damn near every day! :D

Well, strangely, I listened to Flash Gordon in the car today. It was fantastic, from start to finish! ;) I don't recall hearing the words 'who wants to live forever' in the dialogue before though! I wonder if Brian had that written at that stage, or if the film inspired the song later?

phpBB [video]

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Anna » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:03 pm

What a wild coincidence!! I too listened to "Flash Gordon" on my way to work this morning! I do love the new songs but sometimes I just long to hear the old stuff. Thanks everybody for your replies! I'm really enjoying them. Glad to know I'm not alone after all. :-D

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby Leigh Burne » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 am

fairydandy wrote:I don't recall hearing the words 'who wants to live forever' in the dialogue before though! I wonder if Brian had that written at that stage, or if the film inspired the song later?

I've always wondered that, although I remember hearing that Brian actually wrote the song after watching the scene over which it plays in Highlander (presumably a rough cut he saw during production).

As an aside, that line has been ruined by the fact I knew the song first :P It's as bad as "Hey, it's a kind of magic!" in Highlander, which sounds absolutely awful even though it was actually the line that came first, inspiring Roger to write the song when he heard it!
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:49 am

Leigh Burne wrote:I've always wondered that, although I remember hearing that Brian actually wrote the song after watching the scene over which it plays in Highlander (presumably a rough cut he saw during production).

As an aside, that line has been ruined by the fact I knew the song first :P It's as bad as "Hey, it's a kind of magic!" in Highlander, which sounds absolutely awful even though it was actually the line that came first, inspiring Roger to write the song when he heard it!

Then there's that awesome Freddie line in The Fallen Priest, 'give me all there is, I want it all'.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Anna » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

I watched "The Highlander" series faithfully and of course loved the opening song!! Love the video too!! I don't think I've ever heard "Falling Out" or "Self Made Man." That will be a goal for me. Love it!!
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby Anna » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Anyone hear about the London Attack? My heart goes out to the victims and their families! May God Bless Them one and all!!
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Living less than twenty miles from where it happened, I've heard of little else since yesterday afternoon.

Amazing the amount of press one person can generate, OK, on reflection, post Donald Trump, I guess this is like a drop in the ocean.

Maybe that's my biggest problem with instances like this, they're designed to get publicity, either for the cause or for the perpetrator, and in both cases this guy has just obtained publicity big time. Can't beat the media for doing the wrong thing, can you?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Anna » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:58 pm

I see what you mean, Kes, I agree. Often it seems the world has it's priorities bass-ackwards.
I do wish you well.
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Fried Chicken