Life is on a knife edge

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Life is on a knife edge

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:32 pm

It struck me the other night on the way back from work. I was doing 70 mph on a dual carriageway in the outside lane and there was a car waiting to cross over the road from the opposite direction. As he sat there waiting, it dawned on me just how fragile everything is. I thought 'if he moves now, I'm dead, instantly'. I wouldn't know I was dead, if that makes sense.

It must be hell to know that you are ill and that you have x months left, but at least you will know about it.

As my grandmother always said, 'enjoy yourself, it's later than you think'. I thought she was clever for saying that, but it turned out it was a song lyric. :P

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Re: Life is on a knife edge

Postby WeeMann » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 pm

About 14 years ago I was on my way home from work on my scooter doing about 40mph when a car pulled out in front of me. I have no memory of the accident, the 5 minutes leading up to it, or the rest of that evening, apart from some very small snippets (the front wheel locking up, being loaded into the ambulance, my wife arriving at the hospital).

I should have been killed, but the only injury I had was a broken finger. I was very stiff for a few weeks and still struggle to bend down.

To my knowledge I went though no fear or pain. Had I died there would have been no moment of realisation.

On the one hand it's quite scary, but also, strangely, quite comforting.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:45 pm

WeeMann wrote:About 14 years ago I was on my way home from work on my scooter doing about 40mph when a car pulled out in front of me. I have no memory of the accident, the 5 minutes leading up to it, or the rest of that evening, apart from some very small snippets (the front wheel locking up, being loaded into the ambulance, my wife arriving at the hospital).

I should have been killed, but the only injury I had was a broken finger. I was very stiff for a few weeks and still struggle to bend down.

To my knowledge I went though no fear or pain. Had I died there would have been no moment of realisation.

On the one hand it's quite scary, but also, strangely, quite comforting.

Blimey. Did you experience that 'time slowing down' feeling at all? I had that on a motorbike once, as a car pulled out and in the few seconds between seeing him and hitting him, it seemed to take much longer than usual!
Last edited by fairydandy on Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Sorry, you said you had no memory, my mistake!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Last edited by action on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Ace » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 pm

action wrote:"you've always been a no-good" she tells me

Is she a member on here.....?

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby action » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Last edited by action on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Capt. Den Ronson » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:32 pm

action wrote:when i was 2 years old, i fell out of a window, two stories down on a concrete floor.

That must have been when you banged your head :(

Capt. Den Ronson
The Show Must Go On

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:40 am

fairydandy wrote: Did you experience that 'time slowing down' feeling at all?

I experienced that slow down of time sensation, twice in my life. Once when I was a kid and almost hit by a car, and someone yelling to me..."Watch out". The car clipped my arm. Then another time when on the passengers side of a car, and almost being hit on the drivers side of the car, by another car at a stop sign, that the driver in my car went a little too far past. It also happened to my cousin some years back, when he fell 3 stories from a construction site he was working on.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bro ... e-1.375471

None the less, a wild sensation.
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

QOL'er in Black

Postby Innuendoes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:31 am

I also experienced that slowed down thing plus seeing my life pass before me - all the things I had done as a teen and maybe a kid that I felt were bad and had upset or pissed off my parents.

It was while a group of kids and me were driving my parent's car and we crashed. The car went out of control and we were going too fast to do anything to recover it before we hit a fence on an L turn so we crashed straight into the fence and kept going right into a field. I literally saw my life pass before me, before we hit the fence. That was one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced.
Yeah, I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
The moon has gone behind the cloud again
And I can't stand to live another day
'Cause my bluebird went away

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby action » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:06 am

Last edited by action on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Broooklyn wrote:
fairydandy wrote: Did you experience that 'time slowing down' feeling at all?

I experienced that slow down of time sensation, twice in my life. Once when I was a kid and almost hit by a car, and someone yelling to me..."Watch out". The car clipped my arm. Then another time when on the passengers side of a car, and almost being hit on the drivers side of the car, by another car at a stop sign, that the driver in my car went a little too far past. It also happened to my cousin some years back, when he fell 3 stories from a construction site he was working on.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bro ... e-1.375471

None the less, a wild sensation.

It is a weird sensation. I guess the brain just processes the information super-fast or something?

You're cousin is one lucky guy! :shock:

I found myself in a very tricky and life-threatening situation almost 17 years ago. Without going in to details, I have to say that 'something' took over, be that adrenaline or whatever, but my mental state switched in to (I guess) 'survival mode' and I was calm. It wasn't a nice event, not at all, but how the thought processes changed to get me out of the situation, was amazing and I will never forget it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Anna » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 pm

It's a fight or flight response during those situations where you find yourself under extreme stress. All of your senses become keener. Eyesight, hearing etc... Nervous system takes over. It is a strange experience. Happened to me once or twice.
Anna-

Anna
Spread Your Wings

Return to Fried Chicken