The Stats Page

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Re: The Stats Page

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am

Oret wrote:
Your right, it wasn't Queenonline back then. The address on the MIH booklet was for http://queen-fip.com
I thought I looked crap even back then. :lol:

Here's a link I managed to find from QZ:

http://web.archive.org/web/199612230723 ... en-fip.com

Cheers for clearing that up. :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Sir Didymus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
fairydandy wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Wonderful.

I can still recall seeing the Queenonline web address on the Made In Heaven products (anyone else remember the MIH eggs?) and thinking how amazing and futuristic the accompanying picture looked; I think that must have been the first time I had ever heard of the place. Quite depressing to think that was 23 years ago...just where have all those years fucked off to?

Are you sure about that? I don't have the album covers anymore, they all went ages ago (purely digital nowadays), but I didn't think the www address appeared until later than that.

Just had a thought, why hasn't Queenonline got an entry on Wikipedia? :P

Well, it was definitely a web link for the band - maybe it was on one of the single covers (Let Me Live seems to ring a bell). Fuck knows.

I definitely remember the Asda MIH eggs though. How utterly random.

Queenonline is not on Wikipedia? I think one of us should go and change that. But I cannot be arsed...fd, it's over to you.

Yep, it was on A Winter's Tale with a picture of a futuristic CGI landscape on it (presumably from The Eye concept artwork). The fip address then appeared on all future singles up to and including No One But You, but the current queenonline site was printed on Under Pressure '99 and GH3, so must have launched in 1999.
"Years will come, years will go, and politicians will do f*** all to make the world a better place. But all over the world, young men and young women will always dream dreams and put those dreams into song."
The Count

Sir Didymus
Suburban Wonderfox

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm

Sir Didymus wrote:
Yep, it was on A Winter's Tale with a picture of a futuristic CGI landscape on it (presumably from The Eye concept artwork). The fip address then appeared on all future singles up to and including No One But You, but the current queenonline site was printed on Under Pressure '99 and GH3, so must have launched in 1999.

Thanks for that.

I remember the picture vividly - there was something that looked like a Led Zeppelin on it (I think!). And, yes, you are probably right about the link to The Eye (gawd, what a disaster that was - such a shame).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm

The eYe was already obsolete when it came out.

An MS-DOS based game (the system floppy discs used to use) when everybody's operating system standard had changed to Windows 1 by then. I had no end of problems trying to get it to do very much.

Still, the five CDs were full of instrumental versions of songs that played (and still do) in a standard CD player, so it wasn't ALL a complete waste of money. All the narration was done by the bloke who played Avon in Blake's Seven, Paul Darrow, was that his name?

Think I must have first logged on to queen-fip.com somewhere around MIH, but don't think I did much but read, until the first incarnation of QOL. Fairly basic black, white and green screens rings a bell. The place seemed to be dominated by a rather unsavoury character who said "Belm!" quite a lot of the time, and spent most of his time looking bigger by making eveyone else look that little bit smaller. Anyway, about three usernames later.... I got into it.

Favourite moments:- Honestly. When the band did something EVERYBODY liked. Few and far between. The chat room threads before chat rooms even existed, like the "Bored sh*tless" thread, if anyone remembers! Never really liked the slanging matches very much, but I was probably bored out of my tree, and some people said some pretty stupid things and were fucking "asking for it". Retrospectively, to the people who didn't consume large amounts of popcorn, during these events, I sincerely apologise.

Was the Finn on my back, part of the deal? Probably.

Here's a nostalgia clip for fd, JLP and anyone else approaching 60.
phpBB [video]
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Kes wrote:The eYe was already obsolete when it came out.

An MS-DOS based game (the system floppy discs used to use) when everybody's operating system standard had changed to Windows 1 by then. I had no end of problems trying to get it to do very much.

Still, the five CDs were full of instrumental versions of songs that played (and still do) in a standard CD player, so it wasn't ALL a complete waste of money. All the narration was done by the bloke who played Avon in Blake's Seven, Paul Darrow, was that his name?

Think I must have first logged on to queen-fip.com somewhere around MIH, but don't think I did much but read, until the first incarnation of QOL. Fairly basic black, white and green screens rings a bell. The place seemed to be dominated by a rather unsavoury character who said "Belm!" quite a lot of the time, and spent most of his time looking bigger by making eveyone else look that little bit smaller. Anyway, about three usernames later.... I got into it.

Favourite moments:- Honestly. When the band did something EVERYBODY liked. Few and far between. The chat room threads before chat rooms even existed, like the "Bored sh*tless" thread, if anyone remembers! Never really liked the slanging matches very much, but I was probably bored out of my tree, and some people said some pretty stupid things and were fucking "asking for it". Retrospectively, to the people who didn't consume large amounts of popcorn, during these events, I sincerely apologise.

Was the Finn on my back, part of the deal? Probably.

Here's a nostalgia clip for fd, JLP and anyone else approaching 60.
phpBB [video]

Yeah, The Eye was such a missed opportunity. I remember vividly QPL going into overdrive and getting lost in hyperbole, etc. when they stated how the game would feature rare tracks - making it sound full of unknown gems. If only. Although, to be fair, I loved some of the instrumentals. And I completed the game (last CD was such a let down).

I would love them to have another stab at a Queen-style game...but I fear they will never go down that path again.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 am

Maybe with having a musical running ten years, and a movie in the pipeline, they'll try and capitalise on the attention, and get someone on the case.

Maybe not.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Kes wrote:Maybe with having a musical running ten years, and a movie in the pipeline, they'll try and capitalise on the attention, and get someone on the case.

Maybe not.

I'll go with your second sentence.

Shame though, because they could do some wondeful things with today's technology and gaming graphics. I do recall some years back there was a rumour that they were going to do a Rock Band game - the player would have had to take them from the early days right up to Knebworth - now that could have been such fun (even for a weary old fart like myself).

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:47 pm

In reality, I was going with the second sentence too. :-)

Just putting the suggestion in there.

As far as I'm concerned, the Innuendo - Back To The Tapes event, and NOTW Raw Sessions disc, have revitalised my hopes for a proper project headed in THAT direction. My fingers are crossed that the band enjoyed the reaction to those two things enough to seriously consider going back to the idea.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Kes wrote:In reality, I was going with the second sentence too. :-)

Just putting the suggestion in there.

As far as I'm concerned, the Innuendo - Back To The Tapes event, and NOTW Raw Sessions disc, have revitalised my hopes for a proper project headed in THAT direction. My fingers are crossed that the band enjoyed the reaction to those two things enough to seriously consider going back to the idea.

Well, it certainly seems as if we are moving in the right direction: after many years of giving us literally fuck all or, at best, releasing regurgitated products, we have in recent years been quite spoilt.

We may finally even get the live box set many of us would love. I think we will have more chance of these sort of releases once the touring has finished and they can look back to the past a little (I know they would rather look forward, but they are not young boys anymore)...and I think they still yet may have a couple of surprises up their sleeves regarding future releases.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:19 pm

I don't think things like Earl's Court and Houston are going to be wasted. They are too good NOT to see the light of day.

However, "I" think we're starting to get into the sort of time frame where they're either going to all come along at once (or at least in a relatively short space of time), or maybe not come at all.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Kes wrote:I don't think things like Earl's Court and Houston are going to be wasted. They are too good NOT to see the light of day.

However, "I" think we're starting to get into the sort of time frame where they're either going to all come along at once (or at least in a relatively short space of time), or maybe not come at all.

I agree concerning EC and Houston; I remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with Freddie's piano microphone at Earl's Court and because of this they did not want to release it (I think it was EC) - such a shame if this is the case, as the clips I have seen look stunning.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Kes » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm

The issue as I remember it said that the only bits they have with a feed from Freddie's piano mic, was the post live mix stereo up-front tracks that fed the PA system. There's technology these days can subtract the rest of the sound around Freddie's vocals, and pretty much isolate it, especially if they have a pure source of the other stuff, which they do have. Anyway, they should be able to treat it enough, to do a decent surround mix, with the multis they do have.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Kes wrote:The issue as I remember it said that the only bits they have with a feed from Freddie's piano mic, was the post live mix stereo up-front tracks that fed the PA system. There's technology these days can subtract the rest of the sound around Freddie's vocals, and pretty much isolate it, especially if they have a pure source of the other stuff, which they do have. Anyway, they should be able to treat it enough, to do a decent surround mix, with the multis they do have.

Well, then they have no excuse. The fuckers! :P

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to Fried Chicken