Am I being too pedantic or is he an idiot?

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

Am I being too pedantic or is he an idiot?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm

OK, I got into an argument on another site, with this guy that I pretty much disagree with everything he ever says anyway. I'm not going to even get into what it was about because it's kinda beside the point.

But anyway, basically I'm just trying to figure out if, like the subject said, I was being too pedantic about the words he was using, or was he just not using the word properly. So...if something is described as a MYTH (and he used that word repeatedly, about the same thing), that means what? A) It does not exist, or B) It exists but is rare.

(Without getting into what he was talking about, he was saying people who are X and are also Y are a "myth." His supporting evidence for this was several articles saying that either "most" or "many" people who are X are NOT Y. And he even later said himself that there are some, but he says not many, Xs who are Y, but he still insists on using that word, "myth")

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Re: Am I being too pedantic or is he an idiot?

Postby nicksmithworld » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:06 pm

phpBB [video]
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tattletale » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:28 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:OK, I got into an argument on another site, with this guy that I pretty much disagree with everything he ever says anyway. I'm not going to even get into what it was about because it's kinda beside the point.

But anyway, basically I'm just trying to figure out if, like the subject said, I was being too pedantic about the words he was using, or was he just not using the word properly. So...if something is described as a MYTH (and he used that word repeatedly, about the same thing), that means what? A) It does not exist, or B) It exists but is rare.

(Without getting into what he was talking about, he was saying people who are X and are also Y are a "myth." His supporting evidence for this was several articles saying that either "most" or "many" people who are X are NOT Y. And he even later said himself that there are some, but he says not many, Xs who are Y, but he still insists on using that word, "myth")

One definition of myth is "a widely held but false belief or idea." To me, when people use that word in reference to something means that they don't believe it. He seems self contradictory to me.

Tattletale
Spread Your Wings

Postby julymorning » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:18 pm

I would go a little further with that, because we don't know what lies ahead to be proven that we believe even today.

I would say that a myth is something widely believed or thought to be a made up story, or false, but never Scientifically or convincingly proven or disproven. Often times these things are rooted in the arts such as writings and illustrations. I think it's slightly different than a fabrication, or outright lie, simply in the scope of it.

For instance most people believe unicorns are a myth, and they may remain so til the end of time, in spite of classical paintings with unicorns in them, folks have made logical explanations for those appearances being misleading. Some day something may show up to change that myth to reality that they did actually exist (lol, with or without the ascribed powers, lol).
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 am

Well, that conversation got WORSE in the last few days. He just tried to tell me no one has proven gravity to exist, because it's not a physical substance. But at the same time, he says he doesn't dispute gravity or its effects. Apparently this is some new usage of the word "exist" that I wasn't aware of.

Or, like I said in the title, maybe he's just an idiot. :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby Leigh Burne » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 am

I've always classed a myth as something plenty of people believe, but which is simply untrue.
"I always knew I was a star. And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me." — Freddie Mercury

Leigh Burne
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:50 pm

No surprise here. you come across as hugely pedantic on here, from time to time. I think you're pedantic, and I can readily think of one other person (without giving names) who'd say the same.

so now there's a person on another board who has the same opinion. I don't know man. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your behaviour?

sorry if this offends you, but you asked.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby WeeMann » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:50 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Well, that conversation got WORSE in the last few days. He just tried to tell me no one has proven gravity to exist, because it's not a physical substance. But at the same time, he says he doesn't dispute gravity or its effects. Apparently this is some new usage of the word "exist" that I wasn't aware of.

He's clearly misunderstanding science. It's generally accepted that no-one knows how or why gravity actually works, just that it does (and can repeatedly be demonstrated to work). It's a little like dark energy and dark matter. They are just terms to describe things that we do not yet understand, but we can prove they exist.

Ask him where he stands on emotions - clearly they cannot exist either, based on his understanding of existence.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:13 pm

action wrote:No surprise here. you come across as hugely pedantic on here, from time to time. I think you're pedantic, and I can readily think of one other person (without giving names) who'd say the same.

so now there's a person on another board who has the same opinion. I don't know man. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate your behaviour?

sorry if this offends you, but you asked.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. I just happen to think people should use words to mean what they're supposed to mean, so sue me. :lol:

I wasn't really asking about if I was too pedantic in general, I was asking if people thought I was doing so in the conversation I'm talking about. I don't think I'm being too pedantic to say something that is relatively rare but definitely exists is not a "myth," and that things that are not physical substances can be spoken of as existing. Would you agree?

And, by the way, I might have had my issues with you or thought you were a little off your rocker in the past, but this guy's on a whole other level. He's not off his rocker, he doesn't even HAVE a rocker. :lol:

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:22 pm

WeeMann wrote:He's clearly misunderstanding science. It's generally accepted that no-one knows how or why gravity actually works, just that it does (and can repeatedly be demonstrated to work). It's a little like dark energy and dark matter. They are just terms to describe things that we do not yet understand, but we can prove they exist.

Ask him where he stands on emotions - clearly they cannot exist either, based on his understanding of existence.

The damn thing is, I brought up gravity, I was using it as an example of something where our scientific knowledge has changed. Gravity itself wasn't even the point. I could have used ANY other thing, pretty much.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Well, that conversation got WORSE in the last few days. He just tried to tell me no one has proven gravity to exist, because it's not a physical substance. But at the same time, he says he doesn't dispute gravity or its effects. Apparently this is some new usage of the word "exist" that I wasn't aware of.

Are you sure this wasn’t QOL?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:03 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:OK, I got into an argument on another site, with this guy that I pretty much disagree with everything he ever says anyway. I'm not going to even get into what it was about because it's kinda beside the point.

A myth is a false story. I think that colloquially it wouldn’t be hugely unreasonable to use the word to describe something that is rare rather than non-existent, eg “mythical black Trump voters”. I’m sure they actually do exist, but they’re certainly part of Trumpian mythology as well.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about his use of the word though. It sounds like he’s probably doing a perfectly good job of making himself look like a moron all on his own.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am

Anyway, gravity IS a physical substance isn’t it? Gravitons or something? I dunno, I ain’t no physicist.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby nicksmithworld » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 am

I was in a facebook group called 'Extreme pedantry' and I got thrown out for being well er..too pedantic LOL, :P funny how pedants don't like to be corrected. This probably tells you everything that you need to know about me. But is there such a thing as too pedantic? I think not, in answer to your original query.
‘...and I find myself thinkin', well, what would you do?’

nicksmithworld
The Show Must Go On

Postby action » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:55 am

Elessar wrote:

Are you sure this wasn’t QOL?

no way. you mean there are people on QOL who deny the most basic scientific principles, who would say einstein is wrong but doesn't offer an alternative theory? get outta here! go listen to some musical or something.

that reminds me, I still have to honor my promise to visit some belgian prostitutes with you. Though now that I'm married I guess that could be a problem. Maybe we could visit that new belgian real life "doll" brothel. Not sure if that counts as cheating?
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Next

Return to Fried Chicken