my spool theory of the universe

Lay back, relax, and talk about any topic that takes your fancy. Heavy stuff, however, should be posted in Views Of The World.
Posts made in this forum do not count towards your post count.

my spool theory of the universe

Postby action » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm

einstein said that we all have our own clocks. the faster we go through space, the faster our clock goes relative to the clock of someone who stands still.

einstein therefore thought of the universe as "space-time". there is the arrow of space and the arrow of time. it supposes there is only "one space"; the universe that we see at this very moment, and that the universe of the past is gone, and the universe of the future has yet to happen. in this theory, only the "current" universe exists.

but what if the universe is like a film spool?

every frame in the spool, is a picture of the universe, as it is "now".

time, is the speed at which the spool is running.

but since time is relative to the observer, there are as many spools as there are observers. as many universes as there are observers. "your" spool is unfolding to you and only you.

as you approach the speed of light, it seems as if the spool of the bystanders has stopped turning. but in reality, you made your own spool turn so quick, that it "seems" that the spool of the bystander has stopped.

suppose you're driving a 320 BMWi and you pass a jogger. the jogger is certainly running at a certain speed, but since you drive 200 miles an hour, it "seems" as if the jogger stands still.

perhaps that is why time "appears" to stand still when you approach light speed? it's because your time is running so fast as you approach light speed?

perhaps the speed limit of matter (just below the speed of light) is only the limit as which the spool can run? maybe, the spool can't physically run faster than the speed of light?

the spool theory would explain why, at the speed of light, space is starting to look like an infinite 2D plane. a film roll is two dimensional, after all. perhaps, time does not really exist, but there is an illusion of time, since the film roll is running. the same illusion you see when you watch a film, and you see moving images but all it is are individual frames, running in fast order and giving the illusion of motion?

also, there is scientific proof that the future already exists.

if I travel at the speed of light, and I return to my normal speed, I will find that my relatives will all have died already. I'm in the future, and my relatives stayed in "their" time zone. this can only be explained by the spool theory: I made my spool go faster, I went to film frames that are more in the future than the frames of my relatives. my relatives are still at, say, frame 58 and I'm already at frame 2000.
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: my spool theory of the universe

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:33 am

Our universe exists in just three dimensions. Who knows how many dimensions there actually are?!
Whilst not a dimension in a string theory of the term, ‘time’ is a fourth dimension that we experience but don’t actually perceive. The idea of perceiving it is a totally alien and unimaginable concept to us really.

And in fact your film spool analogy demonstrates how we see the universe in 3D. A film spool, like our experience of the universe, is made up of little 2D/3D snapshots. Time is represented by the fact that we can anticipate the future and can remember the past, and on your film spool it’s represented by the length of the reel, but in reality it might be a fully continuous dimension.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 am

Elessar wrote:Our universe exists in just three dimensions. Who knows how many dimensions there actually are?!
Whilst not a dimension in a string theory of the term, ‘time’ is a fourth dimension that we experience but don’t actually perceive. The idea of perceiving it is a totally alien and unimaginable concept to us really.

And in fact your film spool analogy demonstrates how we see the universe in 3D. A film spool, like our experience of the universe, is made up of little 2D/3D snapshots. Time is represented by the fact that we can anticipate the future and can remember the past, and on your film spool it’s represented by the length of the reel, but in reality it might be a fully continuous dimension.

3D is an illusion. 3D televisions aren't actually showing 3D. they are still a flat screen, and the information of the film is still stored in a 2D way.

on a quantum level, there is no 3D. everything appears flat. at the speed of light, everything appears flat. If you were a light particle, you would never "see" anything in 3D. you also wouldn't see motion, you wouldnt see time. Light travels at the speed of light, so for light; time stands still. No, not "time": the film roll stopped turning. the film roll can't keep up with time, it can not run faster than time so the films appears to be paused

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 am

it's interesting to see how, in particle accelerators, particles are moving at near the speed of light and what happens with them. Not when they collide, but while they are traveling.

you see, these particles have a very definite lifespan. But scientists have found that when they travel at near light speed, they last much much longer. If that particle were a human, and it went into cern at near light speed, made a couple of spins, then stopped to see what happened, then that human would have been 2000 years old.

but what really happened was, we stayed in frame 58 of the film spool, and that test subject skipped to frame 2000.

so we have different film spools running. yours, mine, the test subject. past, present and future are all incorporated in it. the spool of the test subject can jump to the future if he travels fast enough. this can only be explained when time does not really exist, but there is only the physical speed of a spool running.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:53 am

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Our universe exists in just three dimensions. Who knows how many dimensions there actually are?!

3D is an illusion. 3D televisions aren't actually showing 3D. they are still a flat screen, and the information of the film is still stored in a 2D way.

on a quantum level, there is no 3D. everything appears flat. at the speed of light, everything appears flat. If you were a light particle, you would never "see" anything in 3D. you also wouldn't see motion, you wouldnt see time. Light travels at the speed of light, so for light; time stands still. No, not "time": the film roll stopped turning. the film roll can't keep up with time, it can not run faster than time so the films appears to be paused

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

When I said “our universe” I meant the one that exists in our brains; our simulation of the universe around us. See Kant for more details I guess.

BTW Not only do 3D TVs not show 3D, but our eyes don’t see 3D either. They see in 2D and our brain turns it into 3D. Everything we think we see is our brain’s simulation.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Return to Fried Chicken